Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/23/2010 9:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OH, and most importantly, Necro this is an important book for anyone to read if they are teaching Shotokan:

Advanced Karate-Do: Concepts, Techniques, and Training Methods
    ISBN-13: 978-0911921359

Amazon.com: Advanced Karate-Do: Concepts, Techniques, and Training Methods (9780911921359): Elmar T Schmeisser: Books

Mind you: I strongly disagree with some of his viewpoints (one example being that we should focus more on kata), but this is an excellent book for understanding fundamental body mechanics in a way that you can transmit them to others. It's not the kind of book anyone is going to read and learn any one specific thing that they can do next time in sparring.

We all learn a lot of things about body mechanics intuitively through repetitious practice. Mostly, I developed a very hard round kick mostly because I spent years whacking a heavy bag before class, not because of any one particular amazing thing anyone told me except for "turn your supporting foot".

Edit: that book is only produced in limited quantities (it's just a short little manual for his students), so the price fluctuates crazily, sometimes well over $50. There's one right now for $17.95, but if anyone wants one and they're expensive, try the publishing company directly.
    Last edited by maofas; 3/23/2010 9:13pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 9:30am

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by swseibukan View Post
    Only if you donít know what the **** youíre doing and the way you go off whining and crying as soon as some one challenges you I kind of doubt that you do. And you still havenít mentioned how long you trained Shotokan, I think most assume youíve been at it least 5 years to get your shodan. But basically shodan just means that you are now officially a practitioner and have a good grasp of the fundamentals not an authority. Most systems donít want you teaching unsupervised/on your own until you reach sandan.

Yeah itís doable in fact its called Wado ryu and itís been around since the 30ís. Just thought you should know before you give your new Karrdy/Jitsu hybrid art a name and declaire yourself Soke.

Sweeps, reaps, hooks, throws have always been a part of traditional karate and if you put in the mat time you will eventually learn them, but maybe youíre not from a traditional school. In fact Iíd bet money youíre sport karate all the way.

So where did I get off topic. And just because it's a sore spot with you I'll rephrase it and say it again. Just because you do not know how to apply a spear hand effectively does not make it an ineffective technique.
    :XXbirdman

First of all, since you are a dumbfck, it is normal that you didnt even get what I m trying to do.

I didnt say I m creating a club or a style or something.
    Its just there are some people who asked for private classes, and I also met some other people and told them what I wanted to do so they were also interested in this group.
    I told all of them my level, what I wanted to do and they are free to think one more time before joining me.

It s just the first time I try to do something like this, and even that I tell everyone clearly what I want to do, I wanted to be sure not ending up being a fraud.

People CAME to me themselves and I told them who I am and what I want to do. Thats it. I want to add jiu jitsu and I dont call it wado ryu, I will add what I want, and no I will not present it like a new style.

So dont come and BS me about the traditional code, tell me that I do sport or whatever. Because I dont give a fck.

And spear hands. No I dont believe it, I dont want to use or teach it.
    And I dont want you to turn this thread into some kind of sriking technique thread.Do it somewhere else.

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 11:30am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, on track: I thought BJJ's knee on belly position instead of the typical kneel/crouch for the followup punch was a very good idea.

What else would you integrate?

(I'm not blending anything yet, since I've only done Judo for 2 years, but one day a few years down the road I'd like to try and incorporate some basic things, i.e. pins)
    Last edited by maofas; 3/24/2010 11:45am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 11:50am

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Well, on track: I thought BJJ's knee on belly position instead of the typical kneel/crouch for the followup punch was a very good idea.

What else would you integrate?

(I'm not blending anything yet, since I've only done Judo for 2 years, but one day a few years down the road....)
    i think it would be nice to teach people takedown defenses.Or some ways to disengage from groundfight.
    Because I believe its not very honest to teach people some good submissions without making them having good ground control.They would lose a battle they would win otherwise.
    I dont think its a good thing to encourage people use groundfighting without giving them enough information.

And I really would want to show some self defence moves, like breaking grabs or headlock escapes and etc.

You have any ideas?

Since the class is no more for now, we can just discuss some ideas imo.

Posted On:
    3/24/2010 1:44pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't get why you aren't going ahead with 3 people (just charge 'em something). Unless you break-off from another program and take students with you, pretty much everyone starts at zero. I wouldn't feel bad about charging them, I'd just explain it to them that you need them to contribute in order to keep their program running. The fact is you're going to wind up needing focus mitts and random doodads here & there (like right now I need to stop by Target and get a garbage can and other boring stuff for the space) and it all adds up.

The main thing I wanted to add was pins from Judo (and escapes of course). I agree btw, to hell with submissions, let them focus on getting a dominant position to strike from--it's krotty afterall, not bjj. At my old instructor's place he would allow fights to continue after they hit the floor for about 30s. We didn't even pretend to know what we were doing, it was more about knowing that if you got taken down or fell doing a kick you there was a penalty. I keep thinking what an amazing class it would've been we all just knew basic Judo pins, guard, how to shrimp, and how to bridge & roll.

...so basically the direction you're already going in (I was hoping you had more ideas!). Knee on belly I never really thought about before though, because it's not a formal position in Judo (AFAIK anyways), but it fits so well.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234