solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/23/2010 1:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroyunus View Post
    - and I will "spice" the classes with some bjj techniques because no matter what you do grappling is very important in real life and you really want to learn self defense(or kick ass) you better have some idea about it.
    be very careful about this. does your BJJ instructor feel that you are ready to teach noobs? some blue belts are ready and some are not. with the availability of purple belts and higher at a greater number of locations, many are not so keen on blue belts teaching.

otherwise your plan sounds fine.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2010 3:40pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And also realize that any belts or ranks you promote them to probably won't be recognized if and when they go to another dojo. That doesn't say anything at all about your teaching or their skill level, but a green belt from the "Some guy in his back yard" dojo doesn't carry a whole lot of weight if they're looking for official rank. For rank to be recognized, you generally have to belong to some sort of formal organization (and of course pay the requisite membership and testing fees).

But if they're just looking for skills and don't are about belt colors then it shouldn't be an issue.

Posted On:
    2/23/2010 3:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's nothing wrong with this as long as you've got enough hours logged on the mat practicing Karate yourself under an instructor.

You're being honest about what qualifications you've got. You don't need a bjj blackbelt or an undefeated mma record to teach Karate. If people need that they can find it at some bigger gym.

Training under other instructors (even in other things) will make your Karate better and keep you humble.

P.S. Shotokan is a lot of fun when you free it from the rigid kihon lines and kata, and focus on jiyu kumite instead. Good luck imo.
    Last edited by maofas; 2/23/2010 3:54pm at .

Posted On:
    2/23/2010 4:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    be very careful about this. does your BJJ instructor feel that you are ready to teach noobs? some blue belts are ready and some are not. with the availability of purple belts and higher at a greater number of locations, many are not so keen on blue belts teaching.

You have a point if they wind up spending significant time rolling around in each other's guards in "Karate" class, but IMO people in any Karate-only class are probably going to be better off having than not having an average bjj blue belt show them how to shrimp, bridge & roll, mount & side control, and 2 basic sweeps.

If he wants to be extra proper, he could ask a purple+ belt at his bjj to come down to give the group their first intro lesson to matwork and not set any bad habits.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2010 5:40pm

Style: Hapkido/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This sounds like an excellent idea to me. As long as you follow what other people have said. Also from experience you will get a new understanding of the style from teaching it, you will notice things you didn't notice when you learned the basics. Don't worry about your rank so much as your experience, with all your MA training your more experienced than some people who are opening up their own schools. Just remember your rank and you will do fine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2010 5:52pm

Style: TKD/Kickboxing/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I have a 2nd in TKD, about 6 years of kickboxing, and 6 years of Krav Maga training. I have a small class at a local gym with about 6 to 8 students. I show them TKD and KM techniques, but I don't award rank or anything. They just want to work out and learn how to spar a bit, so I accommodate them. They learn something and I get to spar twice a week, so win-win.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    2/23/2010 5:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP: Wouldn't do that in your case.

I have taken and given private classes, and all were a mess.

First, because people have more respect for you when you let them pay for things. In your place, if you really desire to teach, I would first go to a local dojo and ask if you can help out, say, with kid training. Just a month or so will suffice to teach you what you need.

Second, because I get from the overall tone of your posts that you want to get better yourself. I gave 18 months of regular KB training to a circle of "fight buddies" between 2004 and 2006, and if anything it really blocked my own progress. That's why I ultimately left it... To start WC, aaaaaaaaaargh.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    2/23/2010 6:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, yeah, you might enjoy this last account of me trying to teach some geeks some, well, guts:

No BS MMA and Martial Arts - View Single Post - My MMA beginner classes

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2010 9:20pm

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post

I once told this to my instructor. I told him about an idea that you mix karate and jiujitsu, and that I want to do it.
    He gave me some warnings but told me its doable.
    And I m not cocky or something but I trust my jiujitsu. I m wellshaped however I m not the biggest guy around so only thing I ve always counted on my jiujitsu was technique till now.
    However my idea was not going into so many details for now.
    I was just thinking instead of just sparring, for example I can show them how to break some grabs in a self defence situation.
    Like beating the bear hug or somebody grabs your throat etc.

Or for ex. Karate has a lot of sweeps. I m not comparing it with throws or takedowns but If you know how to use them they are pretty effective.
    But in many schools the mind people have is you sweep the guy and he falls down BUT after that you just punch the guys face once and shout kiaaaai.(without a proper position of course, you are still on your foot)
    So what happened? You took the guy down, you hit a punch to his face and when you were shouting the guy got pissed off and took you to the ground too so you ve started bitch grappling now (thinking that he is not a good grappler)
    However I feel like I can feel this hole with teaching how to get on knee on stomach properly perhaps?
    And if they feel like they are being pulled into a ground fight I can show them the moves to get away from it.(disengaging moves I mean)
    Even though I trust my jiujitsu I m aware that my instructing would never match a bb's.so I m not trying to get so deep into it I want to stay honest.
    However I can fill many holes and give them some ideas about close combat.

About karate sparring experience, yeah I sparred alot, even though I didnt know bullshido those days I was still interested in realistic training. I wanted to know If I m doing something it better have use.
    I used to do katas alot too though. But at home, to sweat a little if there is no training. Just because of the fact it makes you feel relaxed and relieve(if you do it strong) and it looks cool so its a good way of larping sometimes.

And about the federations, as I said I am already a registered member of Turkish Karate Federation, I have an id and diploma.(In Turkey this is a little more nationalized thing, everything is being kept in order. Its not like you can go around start creating organizations yourself nobody will care about it.They will demand files. But TKF is recognized in all country and they have their rights and blah blah) But don't know if its usable outside of country or not. I better try to contact one of my previous instructors.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 12:29am

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
    Oh, yeah, you might enjoy this last account of me trying to teach some geeks some, well, guts:

No BS MMA and Martial Arts - View Single Post - My MMA beginner classes
    great post, it made me get the real picture.

By the way, I didn't mention it but I do have experience in teaching.I dont only mean martial arts, I mean generally.

Actually I am an engineer (but not working as one) so I taught science and maths to some students who want to increase their grades in school. Also when I came to China I gave english classes for a long time.(both to kids and adults)
    About the martial arts, when I got my black belt, I used to give karate classes because my friend was a karate gym owner and he trusted me with the class when he has away.

About the formal and informal thing, I think you should have a balance.
    Being so formal is something I don't like.
    But also being informal is SO dangerous and helps you to lose control and makes you look like a retard.
    I actually believe if somebody disrespects you and tries to prove something, you should be ready to fck him up or tell him to leave if he goes on behaving like his. I don't like assholes around me so even in my own training I try to lend them a hand once, and twice but the third time its too late.

I think its a better idea to keep 4-5 good people who is willing to learn something than keeping 20 people who gives lotsa money to you but pisses you off.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast