Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2010 3:24pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So according to the articles, Aikido during the 50's and before was a legit and hardcore martial art until it got WAY too into the hippie movement of the 60's?

Pictured: Aikido circa 1964

All jokes aside, wouldn't it be possible to bring back "traditional" Aikido?

Edit: Realized this isn't YMAS (spend too much time in there), I will refrain from making anymore funny, I promise.
    Last edited by Archetype; 2/23/2010 3:33pm at .

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    2/23/2010 4:29pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I suggest you do.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    2/23/2010 6:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might want to look into the Feminist movements involvement as well.

I will say I disagree with the context as I think O Sensei was not trying to create an effective practical martial combat system. He was going after something else.

This is not to say Aikido could not be used for that; but its like saying baseball is a martial art because you can hit someone with the bat. Well, you could, but it really isn't part of the game.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Posted On:
    2/23/2010 7:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    You might want to look into the Feminist movements involvement as well.
    Care to ellaborate?

I will say I disagree with the context as I think O Sensei was not trying to create an effective practical martial combat system. He was going after something else.
    Debatable. O Sensei's approach to martial arts was a form of honji suijaku. From that point of view, Aikido has to be an effective and practical martial art to fullfill its spiritual/religious purposes.

BTW, is this a thread about Ellis sensei article or about Aikido is th3 gh3y? If the later, YMAS please asap.
    Last edited by DCS; 2/23/2010 7:37pm at .

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    2/23/2010 7:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <<<Care to ellaborate?>>>

No, do your own homework.

<<<Debatable. O Sensei's approach to martial arts was a form of honji suijaku. From that point of view, Aikido has to be an effective and practical martial art to fullfill its spiritual/religious purposes.>>>

If that were 100% correct, Aikido would be an effective and practical martial art. Hard to be objective and agree that is true. However to even go down this path we would have to agree on terms like "effective" and "practical," even "martial art." In as much as we do not; I will let it lie here. :hijackp:
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 7:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I particularly liked how o-sensei could put a much larger judo champion on the floor with no kuzushi (they were both seated). And the guy who carries a knife around to give to people who attack him. And all the other bullshit stories.

Seriously, the biggest argument on behalf of aikido seems to be "X has dan grades in judo/karate/deadly AND he does aikido so it must be good". If you hold dan grades in legitimate grappling then you can afford to do something more artsy on the side.
    Even Formula One drivers go bike riding on the weekends.

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 8:22am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Stiglitz View Post
    Discussion thread for Is Aikido a Martial Art. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed reading it all. Some I've read before elsewhere and I've no doubt they were hard men, who trained hard. Certainly, I can't do Press-Ups on Wrists so that's my weakness (one of a number).

I also remember reading of him and Mr Eastman putting on a display in the early 1960s to demonstrate the efficacy of Aikido. Mr Ellis used a real tanto and making every attempt to attack Mr Eastman but being defeated each time. Seemingly, they got carried away and the British Guest of Honour was horrified by the display. Conversely, the Japanese Ambassador congratulated both Aikidoka on their terrific techique and attacking spirit.

I'd have run for the door.

Thanks again.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 12:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the article fails to answer the question it implies to treat:

Is Aikido worth training? - And I'm not anyway biased; Aikido was my first martial art, and I still like it.

Second, I would like to know how Aikido works under MMA rules, as it does for Mr Ellis; I mean, with the ban on small joint manipulations, I would instinctively say that its use might be rather limited.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2010 6:29pm

Style: Christopher Hitchens-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it was a nice article. very much enjoyed reading it.

my first exposure to aikido was at my judo club, they shared the mat space, and i used to watch them in awe, not because i was impressed with what i saw, but because they were pulling off impossible throws, like magic. what i saw went against everything i believed in judo and i could not respect what they do. my hatred toward judo kata probably stems from this. what i saw with aikido was improvised kata.

Posted On:
    3/26/2010 1:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great article. I think that there are fewer people who are motivated to train hard that seek out Aikido. Unfortunately, that has not been good for the evolution of Aikido.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast