Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    2/22/2010 1:28pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

LARPING

Discussion thread for LARPING. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    2/22/2010 1:29pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please note that this article has not yet been written and is open for contribution
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    2/22/2010 1:45pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i propose a move to LARPing. unless we're discussing the meme, rather than the phenomenon.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    2/22/2010 1:54pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok fair one I'll make the change. Would you like to contribte tonthe article? If so you can post what you'd like to include here and I'll update the article or, if your familiure with editing wiki then go ahead and add the content directly.

You will be accredited accordingly

Dave

~Ella Wheeler

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    2/22/2010 2:00pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm quite familiar with editing wikis, but i'm much more of a wikignome than a content generating editor. also, having not looked at .org for a year or two, i don't know what the conventions are regarding voice, pov, and citations. do we have a manual of style?

...or maybe a better place to discuss editing the wiki? at the moment, i feel like we're sorta... larping. >_<

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    2/22/2010 7:29pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pauli,

if you'd like to contribute and or write the article, you can simply post it here in this thread first and I'll copy and format accordingly. Just let me know so we don't duplicate work.

Dave

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 3:14am

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    here is a start.

Larping is an acronym for “Live action roll playing”. It is used on bullshido.net and its forums to describe a training trait that is found in many Dojo, Kwons, and Self-defense schools. It is identifiable by pre-arranged self defense techniques, and situational scenarios that students might find themselves in. It is also indicative to styles and schools that practice “fighting” without actually hitting each other with any realistic force.

While many styles have “Waza” or “Kata” such as Judo or Karate, this in and of its self does not qualify the student as a “Larper” or live action roll player. If the training also incorporates realistic resistance and contact that is un-scripted, then these drills are seen as supplemental training.

Real Larping hides its head in schools that only do Waza or Kata, and then state that they are trained and skilled fighters.

True Larping also seems to have the most arrogant and troublesome students, they will state how effective they are and how high their rank is yet they will not allow anyone to test these claims with physical trials. They usually will only point-fight (with limited rules) or they will avoid the issue altogether.

Possibly the most irritating form of Larping comes not from their training methods, but rather the quasi-fantasy land they create for themselves in their local martial arts community. At tournaments, seminars, and other such gatherings, the upper echelons of Larping can be seen pretending to be “pseudo-Asian” (referring to pop culture beliefs on how karate masters should look and behave) and somehow living in feudal Japan. They will expect lower belt ranks to scrape and bow as if they were their Noble lords. The lower ranks are happy to grovel because it all plays into the “Matrix” world they have created for themselves.

It is generally agreed upon by most Bullshido members that Larping is not a desirable trait to engage in or seek out. It is believed that contact and real time resistance with un-choreographed situational “free-form” fighting is a better method of training. As far as the social larping is concerned, it would be better to be respected for accomplishment and skill rather than “time served” or political affiliations.
    Last edited by wagamichi; 2/27/2010 3:18am at .
    When You absolutely have to hide a body...try Alaska.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 6:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    small typo: it's "ROLE" playing, not "ROLL" playing.

Otherwise, cool!

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 8:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Should there also be a mention of the guys who run around in the woods playing stealth ninja shinobis, or run around in the woods in paramilitary uniforms doing gun katas and goofing around with edged weapons, believing that they're actually practising something useful, in terms of self-defence skills?

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 8:34pm

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    Should there also be a mention of the guys who run around in the woods playing stealth ninja shinobis, or run around in the woods in paramilitary uniforms doing gun katas and goofing around with edged weapons, believing that they're actually practising something useful, in terms of self-defence skills?
    Yes there should...i work on it
    When You absolutely have to hide a body...try Alaska.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast