Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    2/22/2010 1:28pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eudemic: Because Krav Maga is trained in widely different ways from school to school we don't automatically know whether you've been training in a way that will translate well to an MMA scenario. Your standup might turn out to be top notch.
    Our suggestion is to go do some sparring under MMA rules with someone who trains in MMA before you step into the ring with someone who will be trying to wreck your ****. That way you get an idea of how well what you know translates to that venue without having to take a serious beating if it turns out there is a big flaw somewhere you didn't know about.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    2/22/2010 3:00pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudemic View Post
    I'll admit that my ground-work is currently sub-par and will need attention before I try anything, but am I wrong to get the impression that you guys are saying my striking wouldn't be worth much either?
    You have "books" and "krav" in your style field. That's a big question mark.

At your school how often do you get hit with serious intent to do damage? What kind of protection do you wear when you DO get hit? There is really nothing at all that will shut you down like getting hit for the first time by someone serious about injuring you.

Remember, in MMA you'll be facing someone who probably trains for standup and on the ground to some degree. They'll want to take you where you don't want to be taken, and **** you up when you get there. The point people are making is to test the water a little, in a controlled environment so you don't get injured. I don't mean a bloody nose or black eye, either.

I'd say look for some school-hosted kickboxing or Muay Thai type tournament this Spring. Give yourself a few weeks minimum to train by their rules. See how that goes before you do anything even close to MMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2010 4:38pm

Style: Out of Practice

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have training outside of my Krav (which is more or less detailed on my profile.)

-The KM training is mostly pad work, with slow motion fighting mixed in pretty regularly.

-MKG has been a lot of pad and bag work and occasional rolling.

-Quantum does a lot of striking to the air, with some pad/bag work mixed in. They spar often, though it is mostly light-contact with 6oz gloves & shin/instep pads, but there are some people who are willing to go harder.

I understand the concerns about my training, and feel that the suggestions of sparring at an MMA school and/or finding an in-house kick-boxing thing are completely valid. I'll see what I can find.

Is there anything else I should be aware of or consider?

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    2/22/2010 7:13pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not really, testing the waters is the first thing you should do. Once you know how that works out you can see if your training needs to be adjusted or if you feel good about how things went.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2010 9:58am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    YAt your school how often do you get hit with serious intent to do damage? What kind of protection do you wear when you DO get hit? There is really nothing at all that will shut you down like getting hit for the first time by someone serious about injuring you...I don't mean a bloody nose or black eye, either.
    This is the big important part. Getting to the gym, gloving up and sparring hard and handling your **** when someone lands a big, nasty punch to your little noggin. The other side of that coin is not being afraid to punch someone in the head/face as hard as is allowed (depending on your sparring level).

As daft as it sounds, it can take some getting used to. When I first started sparring, I couldn't figure out why i couldn't seem to hit my sparring partner in the face. I had been training for several months by that point, I knew could punch, I thought I knew how to move and use my reach. I figured out after a few sessions that I wasn't *trying* to hit him in the face. i was nervous/scared of his reaction if I landed one. Once I got over it, I started doing much better :)

And I've seen a lot of people act the same way, to the extent that both me and my instructor ave pretty much had to lower guard and demand to be hit in the head so 'they' can get used to throwing proper head shots. It's weird. It's a form of social conditioning I guess.

So, learning to take a punch is vital, and so is being able to punch, hard, and accurately, under pressure and follow it up with cogent combination. And that takes practice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2010 11:07am

Style: Panda Punch

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you haven't done some hard sparring with MMA or karate gloves and a lot of hard sparring with boxing gloves, it is probably a bad idea.

That being said, for my first fight I saw an event poster, called the promoter, and was put on the card. A lot of promotions have websites where you can sign up as well.

You can also use this, but it doesn't always list all the events:
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=events.home

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    2/23/2010 11:24am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tideliar View Post
    both me and my instructor ave pretty much had to lower guard and demand to be hit in the head so 'they' can get used to throwing proper head shots. It's weird. It's a form of social conditioning I guess.
    I've done the same with most new guys at the school - just let them pop you a good one so they can feel it. Then pop them one back to show that it's not comfortable, but it's not going to break anything either. Usually once they realize that they are going to get hit no matter what they start to relax and take shots (and deliver them) much better.

It's similar with grappling, particularly getting heavy/tight on the other guy. As soon as they hear the "oosh" they go all limp and ask if you're ok. Har har. "No dude...I'll tap if it's bad. That sound means you're doing it right."
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12