Sponsored Links Spacer Image

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 12:04pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

LOL @ expensive firearms training OR: Learn to shoot gooder with Lord Skeletor!!

So, a while back, when I saw a banner ad here for Frontsight offering firearms training, I decided to click on it, to see exactly what services they were offering.

It turns out that the courses there basically costs thousands of dollars, not including the costs of your ammunition, which you have to provide yourself.

And then, there are a few people who went to Frontsight who do steel shooting with me. There is absolutely nothing special or improved about their ability to hit the steel quickly. They are for the most part strictly average.

I cannot imagine that whatever training they got at Frontsight was worth thousands of dollars. "Shoot as good as a SWAT Cop or Navy SEAL" my fat hairy ass.

Now I also get junk mail and robocalls from Frontsight.

I believe that I have gotten the exact same training from a local instructor for 1/4 the price.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 1:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a Front Sight lifetime member.

I have taken some of the school's courses and I think the training is very good and quite valuable. While I have never taken a course out there on "shooting steel", since they don't offer one, I have taken their defensive handgun course and found that it improved my steel shooting quite a bit. Perhaps the Front Sight people you shoot with were REALLY bad before their training?

Front sight also offers a wider range of training than you are likely to be able to get from a local trainer. There are many schools (such as Smith and Wesson in Mass) which offer many different firearms courses but Front Sight offers a very wide range of courses including firearms training.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 4:37pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3waydev View Post
    I am a Front Sight lifetime member.

I have taken some of the school's courses and I think the training is very good and quite valuable. While I have never taken a course out there on "shooting steel", since they don't offer one, I have taken their defensive handgun course and found that it improved my steel shooting quite a bit. Perhaps the Front Sight people you shoot with were REALLY bad before their training?

Front sight also offers a wider range of training than you are likely to be able to get from a local trainer. There are many schools (such as Smith and Wesson in Mass) which offer many different firearms courses but Front Sight offers a very wide range of courses including firearms training.
    I guess that my feeling at this point in time is that it's kind of like a McDojo, because they have a robust commercial marketing arm, and you pay in thousands of dollars to be able to take the advanced courses.

But, you have piqued my curiosity. What sorts of training is there which a local instructor would not be able to provide? What sorts of techniques are taught at Front Sight which could not be learned elsewhere?
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 7:37pm

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is nothing special about front sight nor is there cost inline with there training. How ever training at the proper place will teach you things you don't know. And will help you get the lead on steal more constantly and accurately and faster.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2009 1:11am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Wounded Ronin, I'm with you about getting your training from a local instructor. I teach firearms classes at least once a month, and I will tell every student I teach, that I don't know it all. With that said, I do have enough experience to teach people new things, and having trained with other instructors, I have found that there is nothing new under the sun, just people who are better at whatever technique you want to learn.

I have found that the money I could have spent at a "Front Sight", or where ever, can better be served by buying a good DVD from Thunder Ranch, or MAGPUL, etc., and then using the rest of the money on ammo to pratice what I want, and at my own pace. I always do whatever technique dry many times, and when I'm ready, go do it. I have learned alot doing that, and I recommend doing that to every student I have.

Have fun, train hard, and stay safe!

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2009 12:24am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ex-Tomiki Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of these shooting acadamies just opened up a year or so ago in my area.

US Shooting Instute or something.

I've been looking for a place in town to blaze some rounds off on a decent range so I gave them a look.

Then I saw their membership fees and pooped myself.

ETA: http://www.usshootingacademy.com/

They do a lot of CLEET courses and generally seem to know what they're doing. But for my budget it's a no-go. Meh. Cheaper to go out to the farm and shoot stumps.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2009 2:14am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Ronin497, the United States Shooting Academy is a great place, however, your right about the fees. I'm sure you can find another range in Tulsa, try going to Academy Sports and asking the guys at the gun counter. And if you just want some good instruction, find an NRA instructor, and I promise you it won't cost and arm and a leg!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2009 10:27am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL It depends on whether or not you want a shiny piece of paper to hold high and proclaim "I'm a proud graduate of Handgun Level II"---or you just want the skills. Hell, if you're ever in my neck of the woods, just buy my dinner and booze and I'll train you up in anything from sniper crap to CQB, pistol to rifle to machinegun. Matters not. What matters is your desire to better yourself.

Posted On:
    11/30/2009 11:03am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, that makes me think... we should do a shooting Throwdown ("Shootout"?). We'll all chip in and buy you lots of beer and pay for your travel if necessary.

Sounds like a good activity for the summer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2009 11:36am

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Skeletor View Post
    LOL It depends on whether or not you want a shiny piece of paper to hold high and proclaim "I'm a proud graduate of Handgun Level II"---or you just want the skills. Hell, if you're ever in my neck of the woods, just buy my dinner and booze and I'll train you up in anything from sniper crap to CQB, pistol to rifle to machinegun. Matters not. What matters is your desire to better yourself.

Skeletor's offer is the best way to learn in my opinion. Because he's not concerned about making money but in teaching skills he will correct mistakes a lot more quickly and make sure they stay corrected even if it hurts your feelings to be told your still fucking up.
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast