Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 1:45am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They are not Taekwondo forms. They are Chung, Kee Tae's Hapkido forms.

http://canadianhapkidoassociation.ma....com/ranks.htm

I have learned the Chang Hon, Pal-gwe, and Taegeuk poomsae. These are a different set.

Blue Knight

Posted On:
    10/23/2010 1:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: CKT Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Re GM Chung...yes he did create his own set of forms. Please feel free to contact me for information up to 2nd Dan.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/23/2010 2:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tae kwon do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hello, yes, its been a while for me with those forms, I went 2nd dan with them, I want to teach these forms at my school..

Posted On:
    10/24/2010 9:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ji Do Kwan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    these are the Palgue forms I learned these in Korea in 1973 when the Jidokwan system was trying to conform ..BB form was Koriyo.

Posted On:
    10/24/2010 9:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ji Do Kwan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In general choi;s book he showed the old Jidokwan forms for under black called Pyongs for black names as teki- naphonji 1 2 3 Batsai Rohai. and my personal favorite Shipsu.(tenhands form) all copied from the japanesse style shotokan.... after over 50 years of training i still like these the best.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2011 9:18am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tae kwon do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh by the way , this was back in 2002, when i left my old system... I was wondering cause no one here is teaching the old chung forms, I since learnt 5 hapkido forms, i like them also..

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 3:23am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ITF Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by warriorarts09 View Post
    hey thanks...i think ill go to my old school and see. I really liked those forms and want to use them in my school..example of white belt form"
    from ready stance
    turn left, L stance high bloke, walking stance knife hand, front kick, punch
    turn right...same thing
    turn left, middle bloke, punch, round house kick, punch
    90 degree to right, same moves
    to the left, low bloke, backfist, step kick punch
    same thing to the right..
    Hi warriorarts09,

I trained under GM Chung Kee Tae in 1981 and again in 1984 at Martial Arts Academy in the basement of CKT Sports on Yonge St. in Toronto. I can honestly say it was by far the best TKD training I've ever had.

It is great to find another of GM Chung's students. I remember the White Belt form well. It is the most logical of all the forms I have learned to date (yes, I'm an I.T. Analyst :-) )
    It is almost as you've described. As I remember, it is:

From ready stance:
    1. Turn to the left, Left Walking Stance, Left High Rising Block
    2. From the same Left Walking Stance, Right High Knife Hand Strike
    3. Right Leg Front Snap Kick stepping down into Right Walking Stance, Left Reverse Punch.
    4. Turn 180 degrees to the right and execute the same techniques on the opposite side.

5. Turn 90 degrees to the left into Left Walking Stance and Left Inner Forearm Block
    6. From the same Walking Stance, Right Reverse Punch
    7. Right Leg Roundhouse Kick stepping down into Right Walking Stance, Left Reverse Punch
    8. Turn 180 degrees to the right and execute the same techniques on the opposite side.

9. FACE 90 degrees to the left stepping into Sitting Stance and Left Low Outer Forearm Block (in the direction you are facing)
    10. From the same Sitting Stance, Left Back Fist (in the direction you are facing)
    11. Step behind Left Leg Side Kick stepping down into Left Walking Stance, Right Reverse Punch
    12. FACE 180 degrees to the right and execute the same techniques on the opposite side.
    13. Turn 90 degrees to the right, Right Leg stepping back into Ready Stance

When executed properly, you will end up in the very same spot and position you started in.

GM Chung explained that he created this form based on his years of teaching experience. It was a way for students to understand and practice the basic techniques he taught as they were all incorporated into the one form.

I have learned dozens of martial arts forms & patterns in the 31 years I been practicing since then and the form outlined above is the only one I can fully remember :-)

I last spoke to GM Chung about 20 years ago when he invited me to train with him at the dojang he set up in the garage of his home in West Toronto. I have since moved away from Toronto and have lost touch with him. While in Toronto some years ago, I did go to visit him but I was told he was not in good health and was no longer entertaining visitors :-(

One of my greatest wishes is to see him again before he passes. He is the best Instructor I've ever had.

...BMan

Posted On:
    5/04/2012 9:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: CKT TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by warriorarts09 View Post
    oh by the way , this was back in 2002, when i left my old system... I was wondering cause no one here is teaching the old chung forms, I since learnt 5 hapkido forms, i like them also..
    I am currently a brown belt student at the New Liskeard, Ontario school of CKT TaeKwonDo, under 5th Dan Master Michael Beapre.

Previously (1999-2001) I was a student at BOSS Martial Arts in Haileybury, where I earned green belt in Woo-Ying Mun Kung Soo (Korean Karate of Many Gates), Japanese Karate & Jujitsu, under Sensei Dwayne Heinz.
    In 1998, I trained at Dynamic Martial Arts in Calgary, Alberta. I was an orange belt in Combatto Libero (which used TKD, Brazilian Juijitsu, Sambo, Mui Thai Kick boxing), where Mr. Vince Gentile still teaches MMA.

Master Mike was a student of 8th Dan Grand Master Jerry Racicot, when GM Jerry ran the school in this town. When GM Jerry moved to Toronto to run Grand Master Chung Kee Tae's school, Master Mike took over as the head instructor of our school.
    Master Mike also learned directly from GM C.K.T. earlier on.

Our version of TaeKwonDo is a creation of GM C.K.T., which is influenced by Hapkido, and we learn many self defense techniques which use joint locks and take-downs vs unarmed and armed attackers, beginning at white belt level. Also the patterns we learn are intricate, and use many blocks, hand strikes, kicks, jump kicks, combat rolls, as well as knees and elbows. This is not the Olympic sport TKD and is not ITF or WTF TKD. Since we are not strictly a traditional school, we have also travelled to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu seminars for additional training, under Pat Cooligan from Ottawa (a black belt under Renzo Gracie).

GM Jerry has a website called MasterandSon.com, he runs a very successful school of TKD and Hapkido (both of which he learned from GM C.K.T.). Look there for more information.

What little I know of GM Chung Kee Tae, is that he moved to California when he retired. I don't know if he passed away or not.

What I have learned from various pieces of information from websites is that founder General Choi Hong Hi was developing his TKD from Taekkyon and Shotokan Karate (which included some Judo), and asked his student (now GM) Chung Kee Tae (who was already a black belt in HapKiDo under founder Choi Yong Sool) to help him introduce self defense techniques of HKD to TKD.

Also, from what I read, GM C.K.T. helped founder of HapKiDo, Choi Yong Sool, with the implementation of TKD style kicks used in HapKiDo (HKD was originally based on Daito-Ryu Aiki-Jujutsu).

RigidLiquid :)

P.S. Your description of the white belt pattern in correct, and quite different from the "Chungi" TKD white belt pattern (that I first learned in Calgary) of block & punch in 4 directions with a couple extra punches at the end.

Posted On:
    5/04/2012 9:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: CKT TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am also collecting information about the history of Chung Kee Tae Tae Kwon Do and any technical information about the style, and the forms. My search led me to this feed. Does anyone have more information about it?
    Last edited by RigidLiquid; 5/04/2012 9:59pm at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12