Posted On:
    2/18/2010 9:08am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, CMA, & more

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Oahu Recommendations

Yes, yes, yes... "Search function n00b!"

I've done some extensive research via interwebz google machine on the schools present in/on Oahu, so I have a good number of references, contacts, websites, etc.

What I'm looking for is advice...

I'm 41. Before I get too old, I think I want to train, prepare, condition, and get in one single amateur MMA fight.

I'm heading to Oahu in July. I ought to be set up and ready to start training in August or so (got to move in, put stuff away, get the kids into high school, etc.). So who ought I approach? Who best to condition a moderately in-shape middle-aged former traditional art guy?

I've got Army Combatives Level 1 and 2, so I've got a little ground experience. I could definitely use some polishing there. I've rolled with some talented guys over the last couple years, and did okay (I usually didn't "lose," but I certainly never "won"). I had one guy, a long time BJJ student, tell me that I'd probably be able to pick up the first belt (blue, I think?) in BJJ easily with what I knew and how I performed. Whatever... I do the best I can, being older, with a couple of herniated discs (which don't trouble me but have decreased my lower back flexibility), and "turtling up" if/when stuck in the guard.

I've done some pretty good stand-up training in the past (think Oyata's bogu kumite-type training), but only a little bit. It didn't bother me to get clocked in the melon repeatedly (non-vital organ for me, like a cockroach I could probably live without it until I starve to death), and I manged to get some good shots in myself (knocking my training partner flat on his ass with one shot :new_termi - my pride and joy memory!!! yay me!!!). I've had what I think is pretty decent traditional training, so though that doesn't amount to skill in the ring, I think my technique has a pretty solid foundation (reducing, at least, the amount of train-up time required to teach my how to hit and kick).

This all being said, I would by no means and in no way class myself, or represent myself, as a bad-ass. Hardly. I have some training, I've had more lucky moments that were exploited than I've had "m0m3nts of p0wn2g3." I've had more than my share of tap-outs, too (I use to get Kimura'd at will by one training partner - note to self: keep your arms and elbows in tight!), far, far more than I've tapped others, so I maintain the proper perspective and humility.

So, what I'm asking from those Bullies that live/train in/around Oahu is "what steps upon the path ought I take once I arrive and get settled in?" I figure if Randy can keep fighting at his level at his age, my fat, middle-aged ass can get at least one amateur fight in before I have to hang this young-man's game up for good. I'm not out to make a name, I'm not out to show I'm a bad-ass. I just want to say I actually stepped in the ring and fought for real for once, win or lose.

I await the flaming and advice-giving...

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 12:41am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, CMA, & more

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bump...

Seriously? Nobody other than Fug has info on the Oahu scene?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 1:50am

Style: Southern Kung Fu, BJJ, AK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Matt,

Sorry you haven't been getting much of a response. By your post you sound as though you have done a lot of the surface research. I am offering the little bit of insight that I have about the MMA scene here on Oahu.

I was born and raised in Hawaii, then recently moved away to the East Coast for graduate work. I have spent the past month at home in Oahu and have been training with Relson Black Belt Todd Tanaka (formal review to come later). He would be a great resource in getting more information about who to contact for more in depth training. Of course, if you wanted to focus on some BJJ, Todd has a great school with a good and friendly group of students.

I would humbly suggest that you could start by training with Todd and then perhaps he could point you in the right direction if you want something more.