Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/20/2010 3:25am

supporting member
     Style: .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    I'm kind of leaning towards the conclusion that open carry is stupid.
    Why? I open carry all the time, never had an issue or hassle. Of course it isn't uncommon out here - you see people with guns regularly.

Military Veteran

Posted On:
    2/20/2010 12:42pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     The POW Network Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had a CCW for years, and my weapon of choice is a 1911. I carry it concealed because I'm not trying to advertise it; I carry it to use it if absolutely necessary. I own several "safari" or "fisherman" vests that I can throw on, even in warm weather, to cover the weapon. Open carry invites attention; idiots will want to get closer and ask questions, parents will instantly believe I'm whacko and hustle their kids somewhere else, kids will gawk and yell "COOOOOL!" while being dragged away by their parents... and anyone who might actually present a threat or problem is now aware of what he might have to deal with. Forewarned is "fore-armed" and I don't want to give anyone that edge.

I do NOT chamber a round and I rarely carry even a single extra magazine. When I do, I disguised it by tucking it into a leather, snap-closed CASE XX knife holster.

My intent is not to display my status as a CCW holder, not to parade my weapon for others to envy, and not to intimidate those who would otherwise be unaware of my presence. My intent is most certainly NOT to dissuade potential attackers since that rarely, if ever, works. Attackers who become aware of a weapon will simply reformulate their plans to take the weapon into account.

My intent is to have a usable tool that can address an assault, if needed, but otherwise not to advertise my ability to deal with such problems. I've NEVER had to draw or display my weapon... but it's there if I need it.

Just my own 2 cents on the matter.
    Steve Robinson RM2(SEAL)
    USN 1970-1978
    SEAL Team ONE
    Inshore Undersea Warfare Group ONE
    -UDT-SEAL Association - Member
    -POW Network Board of Directors
    -Naval Special Warfare Archives - SOF Analyst/Contributing Journalist
    -Disabled American Veterans - Life Member
    -FORMER Special Investigator - SEAL Authentication Team
    -CyberSEALs.org - Webmaster
    -Author - NO GUTS, NO GLORY - Unmasking Navy SEAL Imposters

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/21/2010 12:10am

supporting member
     Style: .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    YMMV Steve - I've never had OC invite attention other than "Whatcha carrying there? I usually carry 'X'" from fellow gun owners. But as I said here in AZ seeing a gun simply isn't a big deal, and I understand that isn't the culture everywhere.

Military Veteran

Posted On:
    2/21/2010 10:29am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     The POW Network Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think OC in western states is far more common than in many others. I live in Missouri, and have family in Tennessee, Wisconsin, and Alabama, and OC in any of those locations is almost never seen... at least in my experience. If you see someone openly carrying a handgun, you can be virtually certain s/he is a L.E.O.

In my experience if you OC then you'll also get a lot of eyeball time and obvious "concern" from people engaged in security service - Mall Security, Wal-Mart Security, etc. Counter clerks seem to think you'll "go postal" at any second, and paths ahead of you suddenly empty of people (especially those with kids) who seem to realize that they desperately needed something on another aisle. You can also get a LOT of space to yourself in line at the movie theaters... while kids nudge their parents and point, and parents make angry faces and pull down the kids' pointing hands, and tell them in fierce whispers to "STOP!"

Of course Missouri is a state where CCW was a very contentious issue. A few years back the legislature voted to pass CCW, but the Governor vetoed it after heavy lobbying and anti-gun campaigning from religious groups. The legislature then OVERRODE that veto and passed the CCW into law... but obtaining one can be expensive and time consuming. Missouri's CCW training class is so complete/extensive that it is "recognized" and honored by 32+ other states (last time I counted). The course of instruction and the range qualification is normally scheduled for an 8-hour period, and it is not a "gimme". There are some who do NOT pass the course... either the written test or the range quals (or both). Cost for the course is currently $110+ (depending on the instructors), and cost for the "paperwork" and background check at the Sheriff's office is another $100. CCW permit/card then costs an additional $25 from the License Bureau, and is good for 3 years. Renewal cost is something like $50 (can't recall exactly).

The "I hate firearms" folks are rampant here, and many places of business have signs posted on their doors which specifically state "No Firearms Allowed, concealed or otherwise". The law in Missouri states that such posted notices override all OC, and all CCW permits.

In Alabama, for comparison, all you need to do is go to the Sheriff's office, tell them you want CCW for personal protection, pass a Felon Check (about 5 mins on the NCIC system), then sign a card and you get it... right NOW! About the only place you cannot carry in Alabama are federal and state buildings... court houses, post offices, etc.

I'm glad there are places where OC is not unusual and doesn't garner unwanted attention.
    Steve Robinson RM2(SEAL)
    USN 1970-1978
    SEAL Team ONE
    Inshore Undersea Warfare Group ONE
    -UDT-SEAL Association - Member
    -POW Network Board of Directors
    -Naval Special Warfare Archives - SOF Analyst/Contributing Journalist
    -Disabled American Veterans - Life Member
    -FORMER Special Investigator - SEAL Authentication Team
    -CyberSEALs.org - Webmaster
    -Author - NO GUTS, NO GLORY - Unmasking Navy SEAL Imposters

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2010 1:07pm

Style: Brawling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Carry what you can handle, meaning, the weapon that you'll practice with regularly. Join a range. Buy ammo in bulk, I use ammoman.com as they have decent prices and free shipping. Feel free to carry a hand cannon, but if you can't hit anything with it....

Posted On:
    3/21/2010 5:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ryu Te Ren Mei

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, like I always say, it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. I don't plan to carry most of the time either, but my wife and I are BOTH planning on getting our CCWs. BTW IMHO, if you can afford the course at front sight you shouldn't hem and haw about the cost of a holster. That place ain't cheap!

Flyweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2010 8:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlacksmithSEAL View Post
    In Alabama, for comparison, all you need to do is go to the Sheriff's office, tell them you want CCW for personal protection, pass a Felon Check (about 5 mins on the NCIC system), then sign a card and you get it... right NOW! About the only place you cannot carry in Alabama are federal and state buildings... court houses, post offices, etc.

I'm glad there are places where OC is not unusual and doesn't garner unwanted attention.
    I live in Alabama, but in my county you fill out a form and they send it off with a picture - takes 6 weeks or so. Costs $10 + an extra $10 if you want a picture ID. I'm still waiting for my paperwork to get back ><. Can't carry in schools or near a protest, either.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12