Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2002 12:44pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know this is going to get people all emotional and pissed off.

My question is simple: What martial art would/do you do and why would/do you do it. Also list the pros and cons of each (and try to be objective here even the BJJs)

for example

if I wanted to learn something that i could just beat the crap out of someone (not a martial artist) i would do Muay Thai, the simple brutality is really cool

If I wanted to learn to be all stealthy and nimble and don't want people to see me coming i'd do ninjutsu.

If I wanted to learn to handle myself in any situation including knife and gun disarms i'd do Krav maga

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    7/15/2002 4:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to fight professionally in MMA so I'm doing Shootfighting.

Posted On:
    7/15/2002 6:21pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm of a similar opinion. Shootfighting is a complete system to itself, and since I come from such a varied background I'm used to trying to incorporate bits and pieces from arts.

That's why I'm currently training Muay Thai and BJJ.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2002 7:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do JKD, Kali, Muay Thai, and BJJ. Why? Because I believe the combination is pretty damn solid. I'm not training for competition. I enjoy every style I study.

I am really interested in the weapons side of it all and I'll probably spend much more time Looking at a few different blends of Kali; including the Inosanto/Lacosta blend, DBMA, and Sayoc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2002 9:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I were angry at a plate on a very high shelf, I would do Tae Kwon Do.

If my testicles ever launched into open rebellion against the rest of my body, and needed to be taught a lesson, I would do Joe Son Do.

If I wanted to flip out for no reason even if it meant everyone thought I was totally insane or sweet, I would do ninjutsu.

If I were single, I would do every chick in sight.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/16/2002 3:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It really doesn't matter what art you take. If YOU suck YOU suck. (I mean that you will not perform well!!! :) )

I would challenge ANYONE to go to KOREA (specifically Itaewon,) And say how much TKD SUCKS. (AFTER you get beat down by a rather large man, for an asian, tell him I said, "Hi" and to pick on someone his own age!)

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    7/16/2002 6:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD sucks, it's a fact, like Kung Fu, no matter how tough it's practitioners are the art blows.

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    7/17/2002 12:12am

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    C'mon, I Choke You, you can't take that shitty red-belt in Finland as an example of all TKD. Fighting TKD is about being agressive, which is what he didn't do and why there are several variations on the roundhouse kick in attack but only a couple specifically defensive kicks

As for the topic, which unlike others I will kindly stick to, I train Karate for striking power and toughness, which my current system has reduced to a science(i.e. corkscrew punches, using hips to generate force). If I were to take a second art, my first choice would be something like Aikijujutsu, regular JJ, or Judo for non-striking work, second choice MT(think karate handwork/kicking+MT elbows and knees), third choice something like (Heaven forbid I say this on an MMA forum) Tai Chi or Iaido for all that spiritual cultivation and breathing jazz.

And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2002 1:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I mean, really choke. I am ashamed of you. Dissing on TKD like this when you know how effective it has been in the MMA ring. I am disgusted at the lack of respect for TKD on here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2002 1:55pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mushsasi is right. TKD like any other martial art can be effective if used correctly.

Karate is also good my one friend does Shotokan and there is no way I would ever take him on. besides the fact that he has a black belt he is also around 220lb and really quick. On the other hand you get JKA the some what useless version of karate.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast