233356 Bullies, 3738 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 41 to 50 of 106
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. kurtsayin is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    25

    Posted On:
    1/03/2011 12:21pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kempo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2groggy View Post
    Here we go again...first post = thread necro + lengthy tome + defending a master or style. At least this time we get a vid to back up the argument.

    Kurt, you should click over to the newbietown section to introduce yourself, and lurk a while before diving into deep discussions.

    Now about the video... I watched the first minute and the fifth minute. It all looks like the typical BS that we rail against here. The "uke" or attacker throws one telegraphed step through lunge punch and then freezes while the expert throws a flurry of unanswered techniques requiring extreme precision and skill. There is no contact and no aliveness - great exercise, perhaps, but not effective training for self defense.
    Sorry about any forum etiquette I may have overlooked. I just think it's funny when people cannot separate a core style from a crappy dojo they've seen or attended. The video is a DEMO of various animal-inspired kempos. It's not a video of a MT kick-boxing class so I know everyone wants to snicker, but this is how one learns movements in most MA styles... Next time you want to show someone the concept of a joint lock, tell your demo partner to try to gouge your eyes out the whole time because that's "how fighting is" lol.
  2. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,683

    Posted On:
    1/03/2011 12:30pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtsayin View Post
    Next time you want to show someone the concept of a joint lock, tell your demo partner to try to gouge your eyes out the whole time because that's "how fighting is" lol.
    That's a pretty ironic statement given the video you posted.
  3. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,103

    Posted On:
    1/03/2011 12:30pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtsayin View Post
    Sorry about any forum etiquette I may have overlooked. I just think it's funny when people cannot separate a core style from a crappy dojo they've seen or attended. The video is a DEMO of various animal-inspired kempos. It's not a video of a MT kick-boxing class so I know everyone wants to snicker, but this is how one learns movements in most MA styles... Next time you want to show someone the concept of a joint lock, tell your demo partner to try to gouge your eyes out the whole time because that's "how fighting is" lol.
    Look in the corner for what styles people practice. It will save you a ton of grief and you won't look as silly when you let your emotions run wild while making silly assumptions.

    To help you out:
    Xingyi is not Muay Thai Kickboxing. Oh and I studied Kmepo in the past.
    Another poster CLF=Choy Le Fut and Arnis.
    Another poster did Karate.
    Wow someone does Shaolin Ke?po Karate.

    So, don't go to the strawman that we like a certain types of video based on your bias. Some of us don't like what we see because, it is a misrepresentation of what we have studied.

    To your lol. Alive training involves resistance so, your comment speaks volumes.
  4. kurtsayin is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    25

    Posted On:
    1/03/2011 12:38pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kempo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    This is why these styles get ****. Judo is more thorough than Chin-na. Hell, I'd argue Chin-na is a sub or complimentary style like Judo Grip training. It shouldn't be taught separately because, it looks rather silly. When combined with an art it makes more sense. In other words, most CMAs contain chin-na from P. Mantis to Tai Chi.
    Judo is great - I said in my post that Judo and TKD are where my core experience is, but Chin Na is a HUGE science that is in fact taught in various forms throughout many Chinese styles. A deep understanding of Chin Na when applied to kempo is a great for self-defense. I basically agree that BJJ is great and Aikido and Judo are great too, but they are limited systems, and the Villari's system is a mix of good grappling/throwing theory, and good kicking and punching theory. Everything else is up to the individual fighter - for the record, this was basically Bruce Lee's opinion on martial arts too...

    As far as my comments on Tibetan and Mongolian wrestling styles, why is everyone so gay about specifics when it comes to ground fighting? I would like to see Mike Tyson in his prime VS Royce Gracie in his prime in a street fight and then watch all the teenaged BJJ guys talk about why the hell they were both able to beat the living piss out of each other...
  5. Soldiermedic is offline
    Soldiermedic's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,168

    Posted On:
    1/03/2011 12:42pm


     Style: bjj/judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtsayin View Post
    but this is how one learns movements in most MA styles... Next time you want to show someone the concept of a joint lock, tell your demo partner to try to gouge your eyes out the whole time because that's "how fighting is" lol.
    All of your arguments are severely flawed. To say that something is done simply because it is whats done in most martial arts schools is ridiculous. Especially when part of another one of your arguments was that the issue with SKK isn't the style, but rather school quality control.

    Additionally it has been proven time and time again that you fight the way you train. There are many ways to adapt training for situations without compliancy.

    I trained in Kosho Ryu in a school where SKK was also taught....to children. So it does have its place.
  6. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,103

    Posted On:
    1/03/2011 12:45pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtsayin View Post
    Judo is great - I said in my post that Judo and TKD are where my core experience is, but Chin Na is a HUGE science that is in fact taught in various forms throughout many Chinese styles. A deep understanding of Chin Na when applied to kempo is a great for self-defense. I basically agree that BJJ is great and Aikido and Judo are great too, but they are limited systems, and the Villari's system is a mix of good grappling/throwing theory, and good kicking and punching theory. Everything else is up to the individual fighter - for the record, this was basically Bruce Lee's opinion on martial arts too...
    You just built an appeal to authority based on Bruce Lee? Wow.

    Chin-na is not science and of course Villari is complete. Is the commercial over?

    Of course we get the it is the person not the style argument again.
  7. kurtsayin is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    25

    Posted On:
    1/03/2011 12:50pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kempo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Look in the corner for what styles people practice. It will save you a ton of grief and you won't look as silly when you let your emotions run wild while making silly assumptions.

    To help you out:
    Xingyi is not Muay Thai Kickboxing. Oh and I studied Kmepo in the past.
    Another poster CLF=Choy Le Fut and Arnis.
    Another poster did Karate.
    Wow someone does Shaolin Ke?po Karate.

    So, don't go to the strawman that we like a certain types of video based on your bias. Some of us don't like what we see because, it is a misrepresentation of what we have studied.

    To your lol. Alive training involves resistance so, your comment speaks volumes.
    What did I say that was emotional? I didn't say YOU practiced Muay Thai. I merely mentioned Muay Thai. Why is everyone so sensitive on this forum? I also said that the individual fighter is more important than style - which is hardly a dogmatic position to take on MA, so I think everyone needs to take a step back and actually read what I said.

    SKK the system is based on respected MA's, but often poorly taught at Villari Studios. If a fighter learns SKK as a basis, they can be well off IF they are motivated to learn and more deeply understand balance, grappling, and throwing. When a fighter applies great grappling and throwing to Shaolin Kempo, they have a solid foundation from which to work on actual talent and power. I think this is true of any art that strives to combine stricking, kicking, felling, and grappling. Would anyone agree?
  8. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,683

    Posted On:
    1/03/2011 12:59pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtsayin View Post
    Judo is great - I said in my post that Judo and TKD are where my core experience is, but Chin Na is a HUGE science that is in fact taught in various forms throughout many Chinese styles.
    In my experience, judo is more of a science than chin na.

    Villari's system is a mix of good grappling/throwing theory
    Then how come the system, with it's many, many members does not produce elite grapplers?

    and good kicking and punching theory.
    Then how come the system, with it's many, many members does not produce elite strikers? Also, kempo fails when it comes to roundhouse kicks.

    Everything else is up to the individual fighter - for the record, this was basically Bruce Lee's opinion on martial arts too...
    I doubt Bruce Lee would approve of much of what Villari produced. Politics, ridiculous ranks and uniforms, sales pitches and commercial dojos, organized despair, emphasis on ridiculous techniques, the system itself, and the physical condition of a guy running such a big martial arts org are all things that he would raise his eyebrow at.

    As far as my comments on Tibetan and Mongolian wrestling styles, why is everyone so gay about specifics when it comes to ground fighting?
    Because MONGOLIAN WRESTLING STOPS WHEN SOMEONE HITS THE GROUND. Mongolian wrestling isn't a groundfighting art, and that's hardly nitpicking the specifics. I don't know anything about Tibetan wrestling, but I probably know about as much as you about it.

    Gay?

    I would like to see Mike Tyson in his prime VS Royce Gracie in his prime in a street fight and then watch all the teenaged BJJ guys talk about why the hell they were both able to beat the living piss out of each other...
    You're not making sense.
  9. kurtsayin is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    25

    Posted On:
    1/03/2011 12:59pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kempo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is an appeal for a chill pill... I did not say Villari was the master of universe or that SKK was a the greatest system in the world. I made a general statement about balance and a lack of marriage to a style which is a Bruce Lee concept, so I'm sorry that upsets everyone, too.

    I do full contact sparring in SKK at least once a week, and classes 4 days a week. I'm a decent fighter and have done years in Judo and TKD, too, so I'm not coming from an MA virgin standpoint either.

    Can anyone even have a conversation anymore? sheesh...
  10. ChenPengFi is online now
    ChenPengFi's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    3,314

    Posted On:
    1/03/2011 1:01pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, we can have a conversation when you actually understand the valid criticisms that are being leveled your way.
    We have heard all of these lame ass arguments ad infinitum.
    You are spouting a bunch of bullshit.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.