Administrator

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 9:34pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyeddy View Post
    i dont want to completely retool it i just mean if i run into something tht seems ineffective id fix it or throw it out i have a couple friends who practice martial arts one is a 3 degree bb in shotokan so i have ppl to test full resistance on
    Wait, you have a 3rdBB training partner and you are trying to train with a badly reviewed school?

I'm out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 9:37pm

Style: Taekwondo shotokan mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

well...

hes shotokan i want kempo thts why

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 9:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what towns are within commuting distance for you? Martial Way didn't look too far on the map... Are you in High School? Is there any boxing club around or school wrestling? Look at the stickies in the Newbietown about finding a good school and read the Matt Thorton stuff (or youtube) on 'live" training. A lot of styles can be good instruction if the teaching leads to liveness.

And Martial Way looked from my reading of their instructors' history that several of them came from Villari/Kempo but have continued learning martial arts and added, may I say, legitimate arts like Judo, BJJ, and Arnis. That they have a Villari background doesn't mean that they aren't good.

After getting a black belt I trained in other Japanese Karate, Tae Kwon Do and American Kenpo. Most of the training was actually almost the same, so it was a good way to stay in shape and practice techniques. The only thing that was lacking was the intensity of self-defense drills and the hardness of sparring. Which give meaning and form to the whole experience - it has been noted here in Bullshido land that kata (forms) suck, however it has also been noted that hard fighting styles have kata that looks WAY better than soft-contact or point sparring styles. S-d in my karate was fast had bodies flying and sparring I was used to hitting and getting hit and so in those latter schools I really had to hold back - well except in the Japanese Karate dojo in Hawaii, they sparred moderately usually, but some of the black belts were happy to turn it up a notch and could beat/hurt me easily.

I think the Martial Way guys did it the other way, got Villari down then branched out and cross trained.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 9:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Wait, you have a 3rdBB training partner and you are trying to train with a badly reviewed school?

I'm out.
    We had green belts who could beat all the shotokan bbs - Utah and Idaho shotokan, that is, there were real bbs in Hawaii from Shotokan.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 10:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

thank you again lol

thanks but i do not have wrestling at my school i have my current tkd, villaris, and shotokan around me and thts it im at bb level in tkd the way i see it if i want a kempo experience my only choice is villaris but i dont want to go for nothing if theres anything worth learning there i will go if not then ill stay at tkd but just for reference the villaris near me is taught by master boise who is a certified usa boxing coach and muay thai coah and he does train lively from what i remember i remember getting bloody noses in sparring but i dk what to do after reading these posts

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 10:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Whatever works.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you really got such a hard on for Kenpo ( why i dont know) but to each his own, this is the rare case where if the schools recomended dont do it for ya,...yoiu could check out the IKCA i believe it is.

Chuck sullivan and vic something, they do a train by video Kenpo deal that at least among the kenpo community is condiered respectable.

Go to Kenpotalk, post your location and what you want, if its kenpo those folks over there will have a hard on for helping you go kenpo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 10:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

well then

as sarcastic as tht was i still thank u lol im not obsessed with it but i just llike its style but once again thnk u for the info

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 10:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Whatever works.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyeddy View Post
    as sarcastic as tht was i still thank u lol im not obsessed with it but i just llike its style but once again thnk u for the info

Your welcome man, hope you find what you enjoy. Kenpotalk is a great site for all things kenpo.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/17/2010 12:21am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the Villari school teacher cross trains in boxing and Muay Thai then it sounds a hell of a lot better than regular Villari.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2010 12:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

so its ok then right

so you think it would be pretty good then right
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast