Page 1 of 5 12345 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is this a Mcdojo?

First off, hi people

Ok so i was driving home the other day and drove past an ad for Aegis martial arts and checked out their website and something doesn't seem right:

http://www.martialartsleeds.co.uk/index.htm

From the site:

Martial Arts Will Make Massive Changes in You Almost Overnight!

Our Martial Arts Programs based in Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire will turn you from ‘Couch Potato’ to ‘Hot Potato’ from ‘Fearful’ to ‘Fearless’, from ‘Fat’ to ‘Super Fit’. You’ll lose pounds of unwanted, unsightly fat and build solid sleek firm, lean muscle. Your confidence will soar; as will your fitness, You'll be stronger and SAFER, almost overnight. You’ll see an amazing difference in just a few short weeks as those unwanted pounds are replaced with a NEW super slim, power packed YOU.

We can turn you into a better black belt faster than anyone, but why should that be important to you? Here are some very good reasons why:

As a Black Belt you'll have a daily sense of achievement
    Black Belts are fitter and stronger than ordinary people
    As a Black Belt you'll be full of confidence, pride and self respect
    Black Belts are not easily frightened or intimidated
    Black Belts are in control of their own lives

So this being my first post on the site after viewing some of the other topics i thought that you guys would be the best people to ask.

Style
    Nothing - yet
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.martialartsleeds.co.uk/rightstyle.htm

Quote Originally Posted by that page
    Aegis which developed from Boxing, plus Mixed Martial Arts from many different countries, Ju Jitsu from Japan, Hapkido from Korea, Krav Maga from Israel, Aiki Jutsu and Atemi Jutsu from Japan also and Vale Tudo from Brazil
    Sounds like an unholy mess - if I'm reading that correctly.

Style
    Nothing - yet
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy cow.

http://www.martialartsleeds.co.uk/masterhigo.htm

A family history of bare-knuckle gypsy fairground boxing, bare-knuckle, non-gypsy fairground boxing, father trained by a jujutsu strongman who once lifted up some woman with supernatural powers and could knock the bottom off a punchbag with his fists, dirty/lost bare-knuckle boxing secrets, 94 kicks in 10 seconds... need I go on?

Even if all that is true, him putting all that up in his website bio instead of listing his qualifications/rankings would immediately make me not want to train there.

Style
    Working out
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would love to see 94 kicks in 10 seconds!!!

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This needs to be in noobtown or YMAS. This is not a MABS worthy thread. Are you calling him a fraud.

Style
    Nothing - yet
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is the guy and his school. Kiddie blackbelt at 2:28 noted.

YouTube- National Martial Arts College

Him fighting back in the day:
    YouTube- Tony Higo V Colin Treasure
    Last edited by Larus marinus; 2/15/2010 11:39pm at . Reason: more

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devilboy7778 View Post
    I would love to see 94 kicks in 10 seconds!!!
    I would love to learn 94 kicks in 10 sec from him.

Just waiting for the paperboy. supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i wouldnt call him a fraud.
    i would call him a clever marketer and probably a smart bussinessman, i havent seen his prices though, but im sure those are special too.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Long time lurker, apologies for just signing up to post this but I've some amount of exposure to the guy.

I went along for a sample "lesson", his prices are indeed special... Both him and his brother (who fell out a while back) are keen on contracts (as long as two years) and joining fees that are in excess of £100 (some of which is waived on special promotions). Tony opened several dojos in the area, including one very close to my house which has since closed, I can only assume due to lack of interest. It would appear he promotes people (including children) very quickly to black belt as long as they join the "advanced/leadership programme" (I guess with the idea of getting them to open another franchised dojo), there was a lot of mention of things like learning NLP. He advertises a multitude of styles which I have on no verifiable authority are mainly learned from videotape.

The class that I watched looked lacklustre, poor intensity and quality of training. He was talking to a child with his parents and I heard him say "you could be a black belt by the time you are 10". Also, he runs a "pro shop" where you must buy your equipment from, no outside equipment is allowed.

Not a fraud, but it has McDojo written all over it.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a Black Belt you'll have a daily sense of achievement
    Black Belts are fitter and stronger than ordinary people
    As a Black Belt you'll be full of confidence, pride and self respect
    Black Belts are not easily frightened or intimidated
    Black Belts are in control of their own lives
    That's good marketing. Makes me want to become a BB asap. If a kid reads that it will find a way to make his parents pay. Mc Dojo, very much.

Edit: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...efault.htm#223
    Last edited by Monkfg; 2/17/2010 9:03am at .

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last