Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/19/2010 1:02am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzah View Post
    I would never go back to that range. Unless I'm misreading, there were guys sighting in while someone was changing a target. That's unbelievable. The RSO above was right, you get boots who decide they're John Wayne and act like assholes at civilian ranges all of the time. It's why active duty/vets get no special privilages at any ranges I've been to, even though some should.

I'd like to think that my previous experience as a range NCO/coach would kick in and I'd fix them, but more than likely the right thing to do is just to pack your **** up and leave. The state/county sponsored ranges are usually pretty on the level, even though their hours suck.
    They weren't sighting in. Just loading weapons and handling them, and well passed the "red line" that no one was supposed to cross while the range was cold. Enough to make me uneasy as a relative newb, and an older expierenced guy to say something. unsafe yes, but they weren't pointing loaded guns at their friend who was setting a target.

This whole experience really makes me appreciate old guys. Most young men will at least stop and hear an old guy in most situations. True for guns and also true when I did construction. A young guy trying to prove a point just dosen't get the audience an older guy does, it dosen't matter how crazy the older guy is people will usually listen.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2010 1:10am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    They weren't sighting in. Just loading weapons and handling them, and well passed the "red line" that no one was supposed to cross while the range was cold. Enough to make me uneasy as a relative newb, and an older expierenced guy to say something. unsafe yes, but they weren't pointing loaded guns at their friend who was setting a target.
    It's still sloppy and dangerous. Especially if they were loading the way they (probably) learned in the military, they were chambering a round with the weapon pointed downrange while somoene was setting up a target. You'd get instantly removed at most ranges for something like that, civilian or military.

My point previously was, my advice to a new gun guy is that if you see this kind of behavior at a range, leave. It means that the range staff isn't paying attention, or doesn't know what they're doing. Will something happen? Probably not. But with loaded weapons, I personally don't take the chance of even being there if it does.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12