Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    2/15/2010 12:24am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    I'm sorry, did you just ask a question in order to have an argument about the answer?
    Not really. But I would like to know where a white guy from Texas who lists BJJ as his style is getting his information on Chinese Martial Arts teaching titles before I take his word on it.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/15/2010 12:36am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've also heard the term Simo to refer to a sifu's wife, whether or not they practice kung fu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2010 12:54am

Style: sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    look up what "fu" and "mo" mean, and you'll see that they are associated with GENDER. As politically incorrect as this may be, there was no formal title for a female teacher because the Chinese assumed there never would be any! Simo is usually the teacher's wife, but nowadays people use it for female teachers... calling a woman "siFU" makes a much sense as calling her "sir"

Posted On:
    2/15/2010 1:13am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
    Not really. But I would like to know where a white guy from Texas who lists BJJ as his style is getting his information on Chinese Martial Arts teaching titles before I take his word on it.
    So, in essence, yes really, you were.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    2/15/2010 2:04am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    look up what "fu" and "mo" mean, and you'll see that they are associated with GENDER. As politically incorrect as this may be, there was no formal title for a female teacher because the Chinese assumed there never would be any! Simo is usually the teacher's wife, but nowadays people use it for female teachers... calling a woman "siFU" makes a much sense as calling her "sir"
    While I agree that calling a feamle siFU makes as much sense as calling her "sir", I can't believe that the Chinese never assumed there would be female instructors. Kung-fu history and lore is practically chock full of female masters.

Wing Chun is was supposely founded by a female (Ng Mui) and named after one of her female students (Yim Wing Chun).

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    2/15/2010 2:07am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    So, in essence, yes really, you were.
    Pardon me for not believing everything someone tells me on the internet. Especially "facts" offered without any explanation, reason, or proof.

Weak

Posted On:
    2/15/2010 5:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bow to Simo Omega fool!

All you need to do is ask an instructor (or take your cue from senior students) on a case by case basis.
    "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2010 8:44am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
    Pardon me for not believing everything someone tells me on the internet. Especially "facts" offered without any explanation, reason, or proof.

Written Chinese language can be traced directly to hieroglyphics/ cave man writing whatever you want to call it. You cannot look at the root word to know its meanings you must understand how Chinese people think. If you have ever tried to rely on most online translators you would understand that direct translation is often gibberish.

Mandarin is easier to follow so I will use to explain:

The Chinese word for good is "hao". The two characters that make up "hao" is a woman and a child. This means good to the ancient Chinese people.

The greeting for hello in Chinese is "Ni Hao". Its direct translation is "you good" but it means hello. “Ni hao” means hello, “ni hao ma” means “are you good?”

The word for so-so in Chinese is "ma ma hu hu". Its root meaning is horse, horse, tiger, tiger. Why? its said that many years ago a famous painter drew a horse and a tiger and people could not tell the difference hence the meaning- not too good.

ShiFu (SiFu)- the root words are teach and father. It means you know something and you are a mentor to someone else. FuChin is biological father and ShiFu is your chosen mentor. Its associated with kung fu teacher and sometimes the boss of technical skilled people like construction. Traditionally the father is the mentor and the mother is the care giver.

There was once a queen in China that declared herself King because her husband died. She declared herself King because queen means the King's wife.

The PC world has not infected China as it has the Western World. When you hire a crew to repair your home and you ask the female standing there "let me talk to your Shifu" you will be surprised when she says "I am the Shifu". Not because she refers to herself as ShiFu but because she is a female boss in a blue collar line of work. The same will apply to kung fu.

If you want to be a male feminist and change what the words mean for the betterment of society then you can start that trend. If you are really trying to find the correct way Chinese people use terms SiFu means teacher and SiMo means teachers wife. For the very rare case the terms don’t match the gender the Chinese people don’t seem to worry about it.

Side note: In China there seems to be a trend where kung fu teachers are having students call them laoshi (shi sounds like sure) which means teacher. It takes away the personal relationship meaning which makes sense as the students that use the term are often foreigners or "seminar type" students.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2010 10:14am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wooo the white guy from Texas that has BJJ in his style field was dead on....SUPPLIES!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/15/2010 11:16am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chainpunch View Post
    Written Chinese language can be traced directly to hieroglyphics/ cave man writing whatever you want to call it. You cannot look at the root word to know its meanings you must understand how Chinese people think. If you have ever tried to rely on most online translators you would understand that direct translation is often gibberish.

Mandarin is easier to follow so I will use to explain:

The Chinese word for good is "hao". The two characters that make up "hao" is a woman and a child. This means good to the ancient Chinese people.

The greeting for hello in Chinese is "Ni Hao". Its direct translation is "you good" but it means hello. “Ni hao” means hello, “ni hao ma” means “are you good?”

The word for so-so in Chinese is "ma ma hu hu". Its root meaning is horse, horse, tiger, tiger. Why? its said that many years ago a famous painter drew a horse and a tiger and people could not tell the difference hence the meaning- not too good.

ShiFu (SiFu)- the root words are teach and father. It means you know something and you are a mentor to someone else. FuChin is biological father and ShiFu is your chosen mentor. Its associated with kung fu teacher and sometimes the boss of technical skilled people like construction. Traditionally the father is the mentor and the mother is the care giver.

There was once a queen in China that declared herself King because her husband died. She declared herself King because queen means the King's wife.

The PC world has not infected China as it has the Western World. When you hire a crew to repair your home and you ask the female standing there "let me talk to your Shifu" you will be surprised when she says "I am the Shifu". Not because she refers to herself as ShiFu but because she is a female boss in a blue collar line of work. The same will apply to kung fu.

If you want to be a male feminist and change what the words mean for the betterment of society then you can start that trend. If you are really trying to find the correct way Chinese people use terms SiFu means teacher and SiMo means teachers wife. For the very rare case the terms don’t match the gender the Chinese people don’t seem to worry about it.

Side note: In China there seems to be a trend where kung fu teachers are having students call them laoshi (shi sounds like sure) which means teacher. It takes away the personal relationship meaning which makes sense as the students that use the term are often foreigners or "seminar type" students.
    Wow, 28 years in kung fu and I've never had anybody explain that in detail. It was more "same same" and then ignored.:bowdown:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast