No i might as well do MMA

Posted On:
    2/14/2010 5:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slideyfoot View Post
    Really? If that's the case (and judging by this, it is), very sad.

However, I'm sure excellent training is still available at one of the other Manchester schools I mentioned, and for those keen on SBG, Manchester BJJ Labs is run by a SBGi brown belt.
    My extensive research on the topic (i.e., I read http://www.fightingfitmanchester.co.uk/ and the Instructor page therein) indicates that something has occurred that I would've previously said was un-possible: SBGi has gotten in bed with the Booj. Read it and weep:

Martyn Cahill

Martyn runs 'The Lab' and holds the rank of 1st dan in the Bujinkan. Martyn is also a Brown Belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and instructs BJJ at SBG Manchester. His experience with BJJ and MMA has led him to develop a host of challenging drills and training methods to help improve your ability to perform Bujinkan techniques under pressure with resisting training partners.
    From the class description:
    'The Lab' focuses on drilling bujinkan techniques against fully resisting training partners. Using MMA style training drills you will learn to use your skills in a functional manner.

The aim is to develop a strong understanding of the key principles and fundamental techniques of taijutsu. Through progressive resistance drills and full contact sparring participants will be able to develop practical fighting skills.
    Students will be encouraged to use critical thinking skills and provide input in classes.

All are welcome regardless of experience, however, it should be noted that the class is full contact and will be very physically demanding.

Anyone wishing to attend will need a groin guard and mouth guard.

'The Lab' is run by Martyn Cahill, Shadow Warrior blackbelt
    and
    SBGi brown belt.

For more information please e-mail:

info@fightingfitmanchester.co.uk
    The most charitable explanation is that Martyn is diving into the belly of the beast to defeat and/or transform it from within.

More likely, unfortunately, is that Martyn received, to paraphrase a JMA term, "less than complete transmission" of the SBGi art and philosophy.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    2/14/2010 6:10pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    and the Instructor page therein) indicates that something has occurred that I would've previously said was un-possible: SBGi has gotten in bed with the Booj.
    Possibly, but could just be he happens to have a background in the Bujinkan as well as BJJ. He wouldn't be the first ninja with a legitimate BJJ brown belt.

Either way, a purple belt called Liam would be able to clarify. IIRC, he is helping out at the club, and also runs the Part Time Grappler blog.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2010 2:18am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Although it's south of the city and maybe too far for you, you could check out:

http://www.sbgstockport.co.uk/

i did a couple of months there and really enjoyed it. as a total beginner i can't rate their skills or anything but they were friendly and extremely hardworking. if i'm ever back in the north west i'd go back

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2010 8:09am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    is the fighting fit class Gi or no-gi?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2010 8:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i only went to the submission wrestling classes. they are a full on work out.

give them a call, they'll be happy to help you out.

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 4:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

SBGi and BJJ Labs

Good morning all,

Martyn Cahill is a brown belt in BJJ which he received from Karl Tanswell. He's been doing BJJ for over 8 years. He has also trained extensively(parallel with that, also at SBG Manchester) in stand-up and MMA.

Completely separate to all that, Martyn has a 1st dan in Bujinkan (or the Booj :) )

Martyn's sister Jay and her boyfriend Ian Wilson are the Bujinkan minds behind Fighting Fit http://www.fightingfitmanchester.co.uk/ , an excellent facility that offers classes in Bujinkan, CrossFit and Kettlebells and now...good ol' BJJ.

At Fighting Fit, Martyn used to (I think he still does on Tue and Thu at 7pm) teach a Bujinkan-influenced session which he called the Lab. In this session he would take ancient Bujinkan techniques and create modern progressive-resistence MMA-type drills for them which the Bujinkan students would drill, drill and drill. It is very important to note that these sessions (apart from a similar name) HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NEWLY STARTED "THE BJJ LABS" which run on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at Fighting Fit.

When SBG Manchester closed down, the BJJ folks needed a place to train BJJ and we were all very lucky that Fighting Fit, which is exactly 5 minutes walk away from the Arndale in city centre, was accomodating enough to take us. Yesterday was the first session at the new location and the mat was FULL. I've posted a couple of pictures on http://bjjlabs.blogspot.com/ but nothing compares to visiting the place. These BJJ sessions are called THE BJJ LABS.

I created that bjjlabs blogs quickly and also a Facebook account, just to give people from ol' SBG group a place to gather, discuss and share (we recently spent a long time discussing where our first social will be. The Curry vs Wasabi-Sushi debate couldn't be ...ehm...hotter!) . The FB account took off massively and the blog kinda hasn't but I couldn't care less. As long as one of them works. If anyone wants to check out what's what about THE BJJ LABS just look for the group with the same name on Facebook.

Just to reiterate, we do BJJ. Not Bujinkan. Bujinkan is on other days/times.

Not knowing how many people would make the transition, we started with Mon and Wed 6-7 and Fri open mat 6-8 but it VERY quickly became apparent the the quite large mat (I think it's 8 x 8 mats) was might busy so Martyn is looking into expanding into more and more hours, and also to accomodate people who can't make these classes due to work commitments. People really loved the fresh facilities.

Martyn is also looking into bringing in Stand-up classes too on the Tue and Thu so keep checking the FB page for more info.

Pricing follows the same format as the rest of Fighting Fit so just check http://www.fightingfitmanchester.co.uk/schedule.htm and also use that website and the FB group for any questions. The reason I say that is that I don't get to check Bullshido as often as I'd want (thanks Slidey for calling my attention) as I'm a Part Time Grappler :) and of course the best info is the source. Check the FB group and the Fighting Fit website for the most up-to-date info.

Cheers good peeps!

Liam

(Jay Cahil and Ian Wilson both trained with Karl for years in BJJ and both have BJJ blue belts but that's just a side note.)

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 5:41am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by liamwandi View Post
    I created that bjjlabs blogs quickly and also a Facebook account [...] The FB account took off massively [...] just look for the group with the same name on Facebook. [...] keep checking the FB page for more info [...] and the FB group for any questions [...] Check the FB group
    Do you have a link? May just be my connection is acting up, but I didn't see it when I just searched on Facebook.

Also, you should contact JKDChick (or another admin) and get yourself a purple belt tag. :icon_wink

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 6:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Slideyfoot just cleaned it up for me

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=313798969760

Enjoy!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 8:20am