Posted On:
    2/14/2010 12:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

SBGi in Manchester?

Hi,

I'm a newbie looking to try out some BJJ or MMA in Manchester. The name SBGi keeps popping up on the internet where i search but i cant seem to find the website that refers to the Central Manchester branch.

Can anyone give me some info about this club?

In addition, i go into martial arts mainly for fitness - will BJJ provide that for me?

Thank you

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    2/14/2010 12:58pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by arabassist View Post
    I'm a newbie looking to try out some BJJ or MMA in Manchester. The name SBGi keeps popping up on the internet where i search but i cant seem to find the website that refers to the Central Manchester branch.
    Manchester has plenty of good BJJ schools. SBG Manchester is run by Karl Tanswell, a black belt under Matt Thornton. Tanswell is also a respected MMA coach. I haven't trained there myself, but hear plenty of good things about their instruction.

SBG UK
    31 Spear Street
    City Centre
    Manchester
    M1 1DF
    karltanswell@hotmail.com

You could also try out these clubs in Manchester, as per the map:

Manchester BJJ Labs
    Fighting Fit Martial Arts
    Unit 9 Red Bank Court,
    Manchester,
    M4 4HF
    bjjlabs@yahoo.com

Gracie Barra Manchester
    2nd Floor, Bridgewater Mill
    Legh St, Eccles
    Manchester
    M30 0UT

Manchester Jiu Jitsu Academy
    Blackley Health Studio
    Old Market Street
    Blackley
    Manchester
    M9 8FY
    info@manchesterjiujitsu.com

In addition, i go into martial arts mainly for fitness - will BJJ provide that for me?
    Yes. As per the FAQ, BJJ is a great work-out. See the Fightworks Podcast for a good discussion, along with this story of a 42 year old mother of two. Fitness is one of my big reasons for training in BJJ, as I've always found working out at a gym a little dull (though that is of course another good way to get fit). BJJ keeps me interested, because itís a complex sport: there's always something new to learn.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2010 1:17pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks man! quick reply too :)

So as a beginner will i be able to attend all 6 lessons a week at the SGB? (i want to train hard so i can sort out my bad physical state)

One of my concerns is that i did four months of japanese jiu jitsu (shorinji kan) in manchester and didnt enjoy it that much - mainly because there was too much rolling and 'acrobatic' stuff and not enough of sparring or free will. i suppose BJJ is nothing like this?
    Last edited by arabassist; 2/14/2010 1:27pm at .

Posted On:
    2/14/2010 2:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks man! quick reply too :)
    No problem.

So as a beginner will i be able to attend all 6 lessons a week at the SGB? (i want to train hard so i can sort out my bad physical state)
    I assume so, though I don't know how training is set up at SBG. Most places charge a fee for unlimited training per month, others do pay per class, and then still others have various programs (e.g., twice a week, three times a week etc). You'd have to contact them to be sure, but the most common format is a set fee for unlimited training.

If you're planning on attending six classes a week, I would be careful of overtraining. It is possible to train that much, but especially if you are new to BJJ, it could well lead to injuries.

One of my concerns is that i did four months of japanese jiu jitsu (shorinji kan) in manchester and didnt enjoy it that much - mainly because there was too much rolling and 'acrobatic' stuff and not enough of sparring or free will. i suppose BJJ is nothing like this?
    Again, I can't speak for the classes at SBG, but if you want an idea of what BJJ classes are like, there are now many blogs on the net you can read. This is mine, and I have a list of all the others I'm aware of here.

The most standardised classes I've probably attended were at RGA. They usually ran like this (if you don't understand some of the terms, you could check the glossary):

1. Warm-up

Normally running round the room, with variations like knees up, heels up, sprints, circling the arms etc. That will generally be followed by breakfalls and shrimping, after which there is sometimes a two-man exercise (such as firemanís carry, throws up and down the room, running while one person holds the otherís belt etc).

2. Technique

The instructor will show between one to three techniques, which we'll then drill. Often this will begin with a throw, then a few groundwork techniques. The whole week is often geared around similar techniques: for example, in my first week, I attended three sessions, all of which focused on a standing guard pass and a sweep.

3. Specific sparring

By that, I mean the sparring is started from a particular position, such as from guard, with a predetermined purpose, such as passing the guard, after which the spar restarts. This occasionally goes from standing, so working throws, single leg takedowns etc. The beginners class will then go straight to a warm down and finish, meaning the whole beginners class lasts an hour in total. Full details of all the beginners classes I attended at RGA here.

4. Free sparring

The advanced class is half an hour longer, which is made up of free sparring. You start on your knees (too many people to go from standing, as that could easily lead to people getting thrown into other groups in the midst of a spar). That is normally split into five minute rounds. More details on the advanced classes I attended at RGA here.

5. Warm down

Both classes have a warm down, which tends to just be stretching, but sometimes the instructor will make it a bit more active and do some more star-jumps, tuck-jumps etc.

I'd advise bringing along a bottle of water to avoid dehydration. There will generally be points during class at which you can go quickly have a drink, such as just before the sparring starts, or if you're sitting out a round of free sparring.

If you've got any further questions, you might find this FAQ helpful.

Hope that helps: good luck with your training!

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    2/14/2010 2:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SBGi has recently closed down, sadly.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2010 2:56pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    ah crap! you being serious?

slideyfoot - cheers for all that info! (btw in my other post regarding JJJ, where i said 'rolling' i meant forward rolls, backwards rolls etc...not the other term for sparring)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2010 3:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok it seems BJJ Labs has 'replaced' SBG...only 3 lessons a week tho :/

Posted On:
    2/14/2010 3:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Really? If that's the case (and judging by this, it is), very sad.

However, I'm sure excellent training is still available at one of the other Manchester schools I mentioned, and for those keen on SBG, Manchester BJJ Labs is run by a SBGi brown belt.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2010 3:11pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slideyfoot View Post
    However, I'm sure excellent training is still available at one of the other Manchester schools I mentioned.
    Yeah but they're too far away for me unfortunately :(

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    2/14/2010 5:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah but they're too far away for me unfortunately :(
    Train Judo instead.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast