Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/24/2010 8:42am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rentarv View Post
    Hi. I'm new to this forum, as well as the whole "martial arts" thing, meaning that I don't have any prior experience in any of the styles. I'm currently doing cardio kickboxing at Kim Murray's Martial Arts school in Webster (3 years and counting), but was looking for something a little more challenging, and a lot more full contact. From what I've heard/read, it looks like Muay Thai would probably fit me best, as I'm definitely more of a striking than grappling type. Again, this is based on the information I've gathered so far, as well as a couple of classes that I've tried (BJJ at Kime Karate in Perinton, and Sayokan at Lifetime Fittness in Penfield). Long story short, can anyone recommend a good Muay Thai, Striking, Boxing, and/or Kickboxing (regular, not cardio) school(s) in Rochester, NY area? I live in Penfield, NY myself, so would prefer to stay on the east side of town, i.e. Penfield, Fairport/Perinton, or Webster. Rochester locations are OK also, as long as they are not too far west, like Greece, Chili, and so on. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    To add to the above message, I forgot to mention that my schedule is sort of limited - I can only train on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday evenings, and Saturdays mornings-afternoons, which makes it virtually impossible for me to train at the World Gym since their Muay Thai class is on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I also didn't think much of the school atmosphere both times I stopped by, but that could be just me. I'm still planning on checking it out though - they do offer a free week, so might as well take advantage of it.

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 3:32pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When did you stop in? The atmosphere is...er...quite different depending on which class is running.

Your schedule and location preference makes it kind of tricky to really recommend a place. Depending on your money situation, Empire Academy(http://teamempire.us/default.shtml) has class every day, but they're pretty pricey and you wouldn't really get your money's worth going only a few times a week. There's a kyokushin dojo in the city that has a schedule that matches up pretty well with yours(T/H/Sat), out on Ridge Road West(http://uskyokushin.com/dojos.htm), but that might be further than you want to go. Vision Quest Muay Thai(http://www.visionquestmuaythai.com/V..._SCHEDULE.html) also has class when you're available. That's way out in North Chili, but they have a very good reputation.

There's not a whole lot outside of the city, so you're pretty much stuck for quality striking options unless you're willing to drive a bit. I used to live in Fairport and it's really not a bad commute to any of those places but Vision Quest. If your heart isn't completely set on striking, there's some good judo around too.

When were you thinking of trying out the week with us? A bunch of our guys are fighting out in Buffalo in September, so the intensity is going to be pretty high for the next few weeks.
    Last edited by Neo Sigma; 8/25/2010 3:36pm at .

Posted On:
    8/26/2010 12:26pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I stopped by 3 times over the last 2-3 weeks. I didn't stay for any classes, but just wanted to talk to people, check out the school/equipment, environment, and so on. Chuck was the one I talked to all 3 times, but not only he couldn't remember my name (even though it's pretty unique, and I speak with an accent), every time he would introduce himself again as we met for the first time - clearly he didn't remember me at all. I'd say you have to pay a little more attention to your potential clients. Another thing that I didn't like - first time I stopped by I got a schedule of MMA classes from the front desk (the same schedule is available online at www.rochestermma.com). When I talked to Chuck, and asked him whether it was current, he was like "Umm, no... We don't have this class anymore... This guy is no longer with us... This class is at a different time right now", and so on. So he handed me a piece of paper where he crossed out a bunch of stuff, and wrote something else on it instead. I told him that it's probably a good idea to update the website, as well as print out new schedules. He agreed, and said that he would take care of it. Well, it's been 3 weeks, and nothing has been done - the website has not been updated, and 2 days ago I was handed the same old schedule at a front desk yet again. It just shows the lack of effort, and when I said that I didn't think much of the school atmosphere, that's exactly what I meant, because it seemed to me that he runs his classes the same way - without any interest. Call me crazy, but it felt to me like the school lacked some spirit, and passion. Somebody else in reply to the original post (btw, I tried contacting that guy also) mentioned that atmosphere at Empire Academy is shoulders above this school. He's right... I stopped by Empire Academy 2 weeks ago, and boy... that is a SERIOUS school. You can feel it. You can smell it. I spoke to Wally McDonald, who spent about 20 minutes with me going over different stuff, and I gotta tell you - I was impressed. That school would definitely be my first choice... if it wasn't for the money - the place is indeed a bit pricey. So like you said yourself, given that I can only train 3 times a week, I'm not sure if it's worth it. Have you heard anything about Sho-Shin Marshall Arts on Main Street (couldn't find their website)? I heard they have a couple of interesting programs, but have yet to talk to someone there (twice I stopped by around lunch time they were closed). Anyway... Thanks for the reply, and recommendations. I still want to try Muay Thai, and Striking classes at World Gym (definitely no grappling for me) probably next week, and if I do like it, maybe I'll try to re-work my schedule somehow, although it's doubtful. Thanks again... -Vlad

Posted On:
    8/26/2010 3:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can smell it.
    That's probably because they don't wash their mats that often...

Sorry, I'm not really impartial on Empire, I trained there for a while and had a fairly bad experience. But that's me, not you, and if you liked it there and can spare the change, go for it.

Have you heard anything about Sho-Shin Marshall Arts on Main Street (couldn't find their website)? I heard they have a couple of interesting programs, but have yet to talk to someone there (twice I stopped by around lunch time they were closed). Anyway... Thanks for the reply, and recommendations. I still want to try Muay Thai, and Striking classes at World Gym (definitely no grappling for me) probably next week, and if I do like it, maybe I'll try to re-work my schedule somehow, although it's doubtful. Thanks again... -Vlad
    Well, I'm not going to try to change your mind about the rest of it. If it doesn't seem like the place for you, I'm not going to twist your arm about it. All I can really tell you is that three weeks ago was extremely close to the last Rumble In Rochester, which Chuck is pretty much the sole organizer of, so if he seemed scatterbrained, it was probably because he was trying to keep the whole thing from falling to pieces, as amateur events have a tendency to. And that the gym itself is in charge of updating the schedule, both paper and online.

As to the other question, in the past I've called and emailed Sho-Shin multiple times, and they never got back to me, so make of that what you will. I kind of wonder about the place's existence, considering you headed over there and nobody was around.

Try to get a hold of me when you come in, I'm the guy with the goatee and buzzcut(sigh for reinforcing stereotypes) and I'm generally wearing underarmor and Rupture shorts or some manner of goofy red and black thai shorts.
    Last edited by Neo Sigma; 8/26/2010 3:40pm at .

Posted On:
    8/27/2010 3:43pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm planning on stopping by on Monday for Muay Thai class. I'll look you up. Thanks.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    8/27/2010 4:19pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sho-Shin has one of the only decent FMA programs in Rochester (www.rochesterkali.com) under Guro Doug Merceda, a great instructor. Though the class times are really sporadic as Doug's schedule is tough.

Becks Boxing (http://www.becksboxing.com/) is another good striking option.

I may stop in for a trial of the Muay Thai myself.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 10:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I wish I could say this update is for the better, but it's really not. The gym has become incredibly drama-ridden, with conflicts between coaches, classes, and students. And after more time training and watching all four of my teammates get massacred at their last fights, I'm seeing some deficiencies that aren't being addressed, even after the fighters have asked to work on specific things. I recently decided against fighting on the next show because I wasn't confident I would be prepared, and that's not a nice feeling to have.

In general, there's too much of a focus on conditioning, which sounds a little strange, but it's true. In the last two months we've ended up spending over half the class on cardio, which is fine, but leaves us no time to really work on any techniques. So when we get up after getting KOed, we'll still have plenty of gas left. Great.

The other main problem is that the gym has become something of a victim of word of mouth. Class regularly has between 15 to 20 people, and one person isn't really enough to adequately instruct everyone without at least one assistant coach. Chuck's attention ends up split between the fighters and the new people, and nobody really gets what they need. Overall, I'm no longer comfortable recommending World Gym to anyone who's serious about fighting, unfortunately. You'll get in great shape, but that's about it. After a week at a different gym in the area, a number of basic mistakes I'd been making for a year and never had corrected have been patched up.

Writing this wasn't a lot of fun, because Chuck is a good guy and a friend.

EDIT- this last part in particular is no longer true, as apparently I'm now the gym villain and he's been trying to incite the people still there to "train twice as hard so you can hurt that traitor when he takes another fight." Those are the exact words. Very professional. Don't go here.
    Last edited by Neo Sigma; 1/06/2011 5:50pm at . Reason: Rating edit, situation update

Posted On:
    3/29/2012 6:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    NOTE: This post isn't intended as a full review, just a heads-up about my (brief) experience there.

After checking out their website (which as of this posting is about 9 months out of date) and reading the reviews on here, I decided to try out a class because A.) The gym's less than 5 minutes from my house and B.) It's cheap. Hearing about the scheduling mix-up I went in on Tues (3/27) and got a copy of the schedule, which was dated Feb. 26, 2012. After speaking to a gentleman at the front desk (James I believe) and getting a quick look at the facilities, I told him I'd like to come back Thurs. for the 6 o' clock class. He said no problem, so I showed up today at about 5:20, signed up for my trial membership, and went downstairs. There was one gentleman conducting stand-up training with three, I would guess, high-school age students. I sat for a few minutes, then he came over and asked if I was there to watch the class. I told him I was there for the jiu-jitsu class, and he said that it started at 5. After I replied that the schedule had 6 listed, he said OK and resumed teaching the class. No introduction, no explanation, no mention that the schedule was incorrect or invitation to try out the striking instead. I sat there for 45 minutes until around 6:15, at which point a group of middle-school age wrestlers began filing in for a wrestling camp. Went upstairs and cancelled my membership. I'd hoped that after two years the degree of professionalism had improved, but I guess not.

As for the training itself, I can't really comment since I didn't get to participate, although I will say that at none of the other schools where I've trained did students with what seemed to be large weight discrepancies spar full-power, full contact. Again though, that's just observation on my part not based on participation.

As of now I'm still looking for an MMA school in or near Rochester that's more affordable than Empire. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted On:
    5/03/2012 11:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fusion Mixed Martial Arts

If you don't mind the drive. You are more than welcome to check out my school. Fusion Mixed Martial Arts in Clyde, NY.

Unfortunately, I can't post a link on this forum yet. But just Google my school.

We have class Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Once you become a member and would like to compete you can also attend our open mat training session.

Thanks,
    Mong
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12