Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/13/2010 4:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

REnaissance combat from the 1595 Club

YouTube- Renaissance Combat From The 1595 Club (aka. Historical Fencing or European Martial Arts)

Another really nice YouTube clip showing various forms of fencing and unarmed combat inspired by Vincentio Saviolo's treatise. Apart from the use of "300"-style slow motion video editing, it's interesting to see Saviolo's fighting principles applied to unarmed combat and more modern weapons like walking sticks.

Obviously, most of these clips are choreographed training drills building towards free-fighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2010 1:57pm

Style: Jiu-jitsu & HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The cynic in me always wonders upon seeing a good presentation, if the presentation is good because the group spend their energy on that rather than sparring & live drills.

I have to say though, that was an impressive presentation & I liked the music.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2010 2:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hard to tell. The very last sequence in the video could be a moment from a free bout, and according to their website the chief instructor has a classical fencing, sports fencing and boxing background.

I like this statement from the 1595.com site:

It is impossible to recreate completely the arts of the old Masters, their disciplines and skills have long since disappeared or, at very best, been so diluted that they are beyond recognition. What is possible is to try to answer the questions that they posed using the clues that they have left. Furthermore the Art, if it is to exist and flourish, cannot simply be an historical curiosity; its philosophy, practise & customs must be of relevance & benefit to society & in so doing become, once more, a living tradition. The aim of the 1595 is a practical & innovative exploration of Saviolo’s work - his principles, techniques & philosophy; not only of his chosen forms but also the application of these criterion to other weapons, weapon combinations & as the basis for a system of unarmed self-defence & combat.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/20/2010 7:12pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are those type of forearm guards commonly available? They look like pretty good tools for weapon work.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/20/2010 11:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never seen their like before; chances are they're made for/by the 1595 Club.

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    6/18/2011 12:44pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I'm a member of the 1595 right now. So here's some bullet points to clarify things:

* Chris (the teacher) is very nice.
    * The teaching is based on drills, working up to 'free play' which stops short of being full-on sparring.
    * The same methodology applies to weapons and unarmed, much like the system used by The Exiles (who are given serious props).
    * We've started with unarmed, and improvisation is encouraged (as long as we remember it's a drill).
    * Weapons covered include single sword, dagger, polearms, unarmed, sword and shield.
    * A strong emphasis on footwork, as per Saviolo.
    * Forearm guards are care of fencing gear manufacturers Leon Paul.
    * The 1595 is trying to set up a London 'salle', but is based primarily in Brighton.

And that's it.

Posted On:
    6/18/2011 1:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I noticed that during the bowing sequence the pair didn't break eye contact? Is that something specifically mentioned in the original 16th century text?

I ask because recently there's been some debate on Judoforum that the popular mythos of JMA schools preaching to bow whilst maintaining eye contact may well have filtered into Japanese swordsmen ship and thus JMA in general, from Prussian sword manuals during the final decades of the long 19th century.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2011 5:14pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Are those type of forearm guards commonly available? They look like pretty good tools for weapon work.
    i only glimpsed at them, but they look like your standard arm protector commonly used in coaching epee fencers. Much in the same category as these sorts:
    http://stores.thefencingpost.com/-st...Categories.bok

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2011 5:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak View Post
    i only glimpsed at them, but they look like your standard arm protector commonly used in coaching epee fencers. Much in the same category as these sorts:
    http://stores.thefencingpost.com/-st...Categories.bok
    Similar intention and basic design, but the arm guards in the video clip look much thicker and they're covered with a quilted material. Maybe standard epee arm protectors customized for training with heavier weapons?

Posted On:
    6/18/2011 5:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They look like things I've seen on re-enactmenters at various English heritage events etc... Maybe contact a local re-enactment group to see who their prefered supplier is.
Page 1 of 17 1 234511 ... LastLast