Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/11/2010 11:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Whatever works.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dougguod View Post
    I've seen a number of authors/instructors deal with knife grappling, but all the stuff I've seen was fairly superficial.Of course, my own research into the topic was itself purely superficial. As far as names to look for, the only one I can cite with certainty is Southnarc and his site shivworks. You might also want to check out Hock Hochheim, James Keating, and Michael Janich. While I can't state with absolute certainty that these guys were among the sources I've perused, the sheer volume of material each has put out makes it a fairly safe presumption that they've covered the topic. How deeply, though, is something you'd have to check out for yourself.

thanx. I reconize allot of the names you mentioned. I will prolly skim back over their stuff just in case anything has been updated.

For the most part id prefer listening to someone who is a grappler and plans on actually using grappling in a self defence situation.

Alot of RBSD are die hard we dont want to take the fight to the ground, but we train for it if it goes there, but i havent seen them deal with grappling from there, just quote the dangers of a knife and multiple attackers as the reason why they dont want to go.

Seem to me if we know most fight end up on the ground in some way ,shape or form that focusing on the fearful dangers of dealing with a knife pull or the suddend realization of multiple attackers would be the most important area of study for RBSD when it comes to the ground game

Posted On:
    2/11/2010 11:25pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, I can see the merit a bit more now that it's been brought up by a few people. I carry a knife myself everywhere I go, lately a Benchmade Mini Presidio Ultra, but I don't know a thing about using it so it's mostly an apple and box cutter.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/11/2010 11:39pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    Okay, I can see the merit a bit more now that it's been brought up by a few people. I carry a knife myself everywhere I go, lately a Benchmade Mini Presidio Ultra, but I don't know a thing about using it so it's mostly an apple and box cutter.
    10-4. Unfortunately when it comes to a knife, the guy doesnt have to know how to use it, it does alot of the work all by itself.

Combine that with a shot you dont see coming...not good....not good.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    2/12/2010 7:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Karl Tanswell here in the UK has a system called STAB, it looks kind of like this:
    STAB workshop in Denmark
    YouTube- STAB
    YouTube- Karl Tanswell - S.T.A.B. Program (Preview)

His gym's closed down sadly, so I'm not sure if you can still get the video.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/12/2010 9:56am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Karl Tanswell here in the UK has a system called STAB, it looks kind of like this:
    STAB workshop in Denmark
    YouTube- STAB

That is sad that his gym closed down, it looks like a step in the right direction, not so much on the ground yet. thanx for the vids.

Posted On:
    2/12/2010 10:55am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, Plasma has ice-picked the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    Am I naive, or is it more rational to think that there's not much possibility of somebody pulling a knife mid fight as opposed to first thing? Chances are, if somebody is willing to pull a knife on you they are doing so to give you as big a disadvantage as possible. So wouldn't a mid-fight knife pull be a little silly? If somebody wants the advantage, they won't risk waiting til mid-fight to take it, right? Unless you're the attacker yourself, in which case they may not have had a chance to draw a blade to defend themselves with right away.
    Here's one that's happened twice during sparring, me against the same student each time: we got to the clinch/standing grapple, and we're tussling, my hand landed on his big ol' spyderco in his pocket. Pick, out it came and he leaped the hell out of range as soon as he realized what had happened.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/12/2010 11:09am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Either from side control or from the guard, it's difficult to beat an "Americana" arm bar/lock. =-)

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    2/14/2010 1:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Centerline Gym's Redzone is good realistic knife info too.

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 3:49am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: runfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are there any statistics on the average knife attack like there are with firearm attacks? I can only find ones from the UK and I'm in the USofA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 1:29am

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    STAB workshop in Denmark
    YouTube- STAB

The knife defense I teach is somewhat similar to this......we use what is commonly called the Russian grip to control the knife arm. I teach different ways of removing the knife after you gain control. The hardest part is getting control of the arm while he is trying to stab or slash you. My knife defense that I teach and use comes from FMA and BJJ techniques mixed together.

I don't teach the knife defense that is usually taught in BJJ.......Unfortunately I felt these techniques were ineffective.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast