232737 Bullies, 3725 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 30
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Jadonblade is offline
    Jadonblade's Avatar

    Hoo Ha!

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    england
    Posts
    1,676

    Posted On:
    2/08/2010 10:21am

    supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Disability in BJJ

    Im currently researching the state of disabilities in BJJ, there are some famous cases that are easier to find. But Every single one Ive been told about or seen has been a physical disability (malformed or non existant limbs,blindness,deafness,etc). What Ive not found is any mental handicaps, has anyone had any experience of training or meeting a bjj practioner who had any type of mental handicap?.

    But also feel free to post any interesting stories of those with physical handicaps.
    Check out my blog!:

    http://jadonbjj.blogspot.com/
  2. DarkPhoenix is offline
    DarkPhoenix's Avatar

    I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wyomissing, PA
    Posts
    2,246

    Posted On:
    2/08/2010 10:24am


     Style: Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can see sensory disabilities not really hindering a player, much like judo, since it's touch and feel are more necessities, than sight are hearing. I know they make some special provisions in judo for physically impaired players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts
  3. Uglybugly is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    676

    Posted On:
    2/08/2010 10:54am


     Style: judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a guy in my judo class has cerebral parese. Not sure what it is called in english. He has trouble speaking and he is abit slow and unbalanced with his techniques. Not sure if it helps your case since it is judo.
  4. Gidi is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    871

    Posted On:
    2/08/2010 11:31am


     Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A blue belt in my Judo class is either mentally challenged (actually retarded not a "retard ha ha lol") or has had some head trauma.

    He's a nice guy and is sort of my size so I work with him a lot. its very strange, cause he never seems to work for more than 10 seconds, he is very unbalanced and can fall often if you just push or pull him. on the ground he usually lays there (top or bottom, doesn't matter) until you start telling him what to do.
    you can't really do randori with him because he doesn't resist much and falls easily, plus seems like he has no strength in his limbs. like I said its odd working with him.

    I usually just work very loose and technical, trying to practice the move more than getting big headed from throwing a blue belt.

    The hardest thing is to actually get him to do some work, loose hands and footwork combined to throw or the equivalent in ne-waza. he usually is more of a marionette.

    *I know you asked about BJJ, and this is a Judo stroy, it still relates to your question.
    Last edited by Gidi; 2/08/2010 11:32am at . Reason: to improve
  5. Jadonblade is offline
    Jadonblade's Avatar

    Hoo Ha!

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    england
    Posts
    1,676

    Posted On:
    2/08/2010 11:37am

    supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo cases definitely relate in my opinion so keep them coming!
    Check out my blog!:

    http://jadonbjj.blogspot.com/
  6. Gidi is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    871

    Posted On:
    2/08/2010 11:41am


     Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadonblade View Post
    Judo cases definitely relate in my opinion so keep them coming!
    Oh, in that case, I hope this helped.
  7. Jadonblade is offline
    Jadonblade's Avatar

    Hoo Ha!

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    england
    Posts
    1,676

    Posted On:
    2/08/2010 1:13pm

    supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In fact I really should open the question to mean all grappling now that I think about it.
    Check out my blog!:

    http://jadonbjj.blogspot.com/
  8. Robstafarian is offline
    Robstafarian's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,823

    Posted On:
    2/08/2010 1:23pm


     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uglybugly View Post
    a guy in my judo class has cerebral parese. Not sure what it is called in english.
    The phrase you most likely meant to use is "cerebral palsy." I can be fairly certain about that because I have the condition.

    Sorry for the brief derail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    cuz FastPass on Indiana Jones was like being a ghetto rock star.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    But graffiti isn't a bowl of fruit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Merely insulting you is not an ad hominem fallacy: them calling you an idiot would be ad hominem if they said "You are an idiot, therefore your argument is invalid."

    What is instead happening is thus:
    1. Your argument is bullshit.
    2. You keep repeating, and expanding upon, your argument.
    3. Therefore, you are an idiot.

    That isn't an ad hominem fallacy; that's inductive reasoning.
  9. Uglybugly is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    676

    Posted On:
    2/08/2010 3:54pm


     Style: judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    The phrase you most likely meant to use is "cerebral palsy." I can be fairly certain about that because I have the condition.

    Sorry for the brief derail.
    How are you handling your training? Do you have it hard? the guy in my class doesn't have it so hard. It is clearly effecting his performance and it can be hard to understand what he says but that's all.
  10. Strifes is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    162

    Posted On:
    2/08/2010 3:57pm


     Style: CSW BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidi View Post
    plus seems like he has no strength in his limbs.
    That seems highly unlikely.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.