MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 11:41am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    The new ruling does not end using te guruma as a counter throw.

Ben
    There was a hansoku-make clinic before the tournament; you can use a leg attack (such as te-guruma) as a counter-attack, so as long as you don't break body contact from the initial throw that you're counterattacking. Given that whether or not you've broken body contact seems a bit arbitrary, I'm steering clear of it altogether.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 12:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    There was a hansoku-make clinic before the tournament; you can use a leg attack (such as te-guruma) as a counter-attack, so as long as you don't break body contact from the initial throw that you're counterattacking. Given that whether or not you've broken body contact seems a bit arbitrary, I'm steering clear of it altogether.
    The simple fact that a clinic on hansoku-maki was needed before the shiai says it all to me.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    2/20/2010 4:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    Yes Ben, thats what they say.

However, I would not count on the ref to decide if I "stopped" the attack enough "before" I used Te Guruma. You are going to be grabbing the leg, often the pants, below the waist. The rule does say that is a no-no.

We are starting so see You Tube Video of the rule enforced. Yes, you will counter with "those are bad calls," but Ben the calls were made and they stood. A loss is a loss, and a bad call makes it worse.

As such, it is simply too risky to attempt such a move under the new rules, not if winning is important. And if it isn't, then why keep score?
    I tend to agree with you on this Mark. I just wanted to clarify that Te Guruma as a counter is not illegal, but is of course risky as you note.

A direct leg/grab/Te Guruma etc. attack is legal if your opponent has you in an over the back cross grip, according to the latest interpretations I have seen (not if you duck under a high collar/over back normal grip, though).

Posted On:
    2/20/2010 4:46am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    The simple fact that a clinic on hansoku-maki was needed before the shiai says it all to me.
    I've been a referee for quite a while. There are referee clinics/updates after any major (or minor in some cases) rule changes.

BTW, I do not agree with the new rules regarding HSM.

Posted On:
    2/20/2010 4:47am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Good idea, especially at your level of Judo. There are other options available that won't get you HSM.

Ben
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12