MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    2/07/2010 8:08pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

First Judo Comp - Vids

After doing Judo on and off for several years, I finally entered a competition.
    Last weekend was the Konan Rank Evaluation Shiai in Lansing, MI. The tournament was broke into three weight divisions (light, medium, and heavy). and three skill divisions (yonkyu-down, sankyu-nikyu, and Ikkyu-up). I fought in the middleweight yonkyu-down division. There were three other people in this division.
    All competitors wore either a white or blue belt, so I have no idea what the rank of the people I was facing was.
    It seems that my on and off years of Judo have served me well, because I took first, winning both matches by Ippon.

YouTube- Alex K-20100130-1555.3GP
    I almost had him with the rear naked choke (he was gurgling), but I wasn't able to tap him out before the ref stood us up. Oh well.
    YouTube- Kostroveria-20100130-1613.3GP
    One of the other referees called this the best throw of the tournament. Too bad it's somewhat obscured by the ref in this fight.

Anyways, reflections:
    -Judo tournaments are more fun than I thought they'd be. I always hated the amount of referee interference in karate matches, and I thought that would make Judo kind of a pain too. It was a bit annoying to get stood up while having a choke sunk in, but so it goes.
    -I should work on landing position with my ura-nage.
    -Hansokumake rules are wiiiiiiieeerd. Fortunately, I rarely go for leg attacks in the first place, so it didn't really affect my game.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    2/07/2010 8:53pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good job! That circle throw was very nice, the ending of that hip throw too. How long you been doing judo for.

Posted On:
    2/07/2010 10:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice ippons!

Other than that, I noticed that the matte in groundwork looked a little quick, and that in the second match you appeared passive until your blitzkrieg that defeated him. Then again, I'm not a referee, so who cares what I think.

Have you tried tani-otoshi instead of ura-nage?
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    2/08/2010 12:34am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    Nice ippons!

Other than that, I noticed that the matte in groundwork looked a little quick, and that in the second match you appeared passive until your blitzkrieg that defeated him. Then again, I'm not a referee, so who cares what I think.

Have you tried tani-otoshi instead of ura-nage?
    In that second match, where I don't seem to be attacking; I doing pushing on him a little bit to try and get him to push back, and see if I could get enough momentum for another tomoe nage. He wasn't giving me as much as the first guy, but it still sort of worked in the end.
    I'll usually switch to tani otoshi if the guy I'm fighting is too much of a fatass to ura nage effectively.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    2/08/2010 8:05am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. You are leaning back on your Tomoe rather than sliding under Uke; work on that.

2. As much as possible, keep them face up when you choke them so EVERYONE can see you are choking him.

3. You need to "pop" your hips on your Ura nage, and then turn face down to put them on their back better. The new rule ends using Te guruma which has a much better ippon rate, or did.

Good work, I'd keep you in that division but make you a green belt.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Posted On:
    2/08/2010 2:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo/jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good effort for your first competition!, you,ve now got a solid base to build from...keep koshi waza well timed and very nice, makings of a good harai goshi there!
    well done.

All the best
    Ray
    www.edinburghbushido.com

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/09/2010 10:00am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shut the hell up and train.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 12:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    1. You are leaning back on your Tomoe rather than sliding under Uke; work on that.

2. As much as possible, keep them face up when you choke them so EVERYONE can see you are choking him.

3. You need to "pop" your hips on your Ura nage, and then turn face down to put them on their back better. The new rule ends using Te guruma which has a much better ippon rate, or did.

Good work, I'd keep you in that division but make you a green belt.
    The new ruling does not end using te guruma as a counter throw.

Ben

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 4:59am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    The new ruling does not end using te guruma as a counter throw.

Ben
    Yes Ben, thats what they say.

However, I would not count on the ref to decide if I "stopped" the attack enough "before" I used Te Guruma. You are going to be grabbing the leg, often the pants, below the waist. The rule does say that is a no-no.

We are starting so see You Tube Video of the rule enforced. Yes, you will counter with "those are bad calls," but Ben the calls were made and they stood. A loss is a loss, and a bad call makes it worse.

As such, it is simply too risky to attempt such a move under the new rules, not if winning is important. And if it isn't, then why keep score?
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 9:54am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in my dojo we are being told to simply not grab the legs anymore at all (other than in newaza) for the reasons outlined by coach tripp. it is really too bad, and a deplorable situation, but one that i fear we are stuck with.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast