Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. #11
    ignatzami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    1,849
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have an instructor who spends more time injured then not, with his current injury being a broken hand. He grapples, focusing on passing and maintaining position, and he does a lot of forward throws with one hand. Ippon Seionage and Marote Seionage are both really good to learn one handed.

    Just a thought
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Belgrade
    Posts
    72
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami View Post
    Marote Seionage to learn one handed.
    Morote seoi nage + one handed = mind blown...

    Morote in japanese actually means "with two (hands)"...

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    166
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barabbas View Post
    Morote seoi nage + one handed = mind blown...

    Morote in japanese actually means "with two (hands)"...
    yeah, i was thinking the same thing, and then i heard the sound of one hand clapping

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    hogtown
    Posts
    342
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    while i doubt ignatzami's instructor is actually doing this, this one handed morote seoi nage is technically possible. this is one of the specialty throws of koga, the one of the best judoka in history, and the best seoi nage expert in history.

    while primarily an ippon seoi nage specialist, he developed a version of the morote seoi nage for extreme kenka yotsu situations. he would lift people up with the one handed lapel grip only and dump them on their heads & backs. repeatedly. against the best in the world. he would sometimes get both hands on the same lapel to start, sometime start with one hand one the lapel, and bring the other hand in to grab the sleeve to finish the throw, and some time just one frigging hand only.... one of the craziest throws in judo, and previously thought to be impossible until koga proved that it can be done. the level of power and timing required for this to happen the way koga does it really is impossible for us mere mortals.

    watch from 2:19-43

    YouTube- Toshihiko Koga Highlight

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to dig up an old topic, but I've ran into a similar problem. I was fighting in a tournament today and in the middle of the match strained a muscle in the left side of my chest real bad. Every time I tried to pull or push with my left arm it would spasm and I couldn't complete the throw I was going for. Other than an osoto makikomi and maybe a foot sweep are there any other throws I could use where I use one arm or primarily focus on using one arm?

  6. #16
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    7,202
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dood View Post
    Sorry to dig up an old topic, but I've ran into a similar problem. I was fighting in a tournament today and in the middle of the match strained a muscle in the left side of my chest real bad. Every time I tried to pull or push with my left arm it would spasm and I couldn't complete the throw I was going for. Other than an osoto makikomi and maybe a foot sweep are there any other throws I could use where I use one arm or primarily focus on using one arm?
    So how long have you been doing Judo and what rank are you? A lot depends on how skilled you are already.

    I've been doing Judo 30 years. I can do a lot of one handed Judo. Most beginners/novices/intermediates would be pushing it to try.

    It's a good time to practice basic tai sabaki, and tandoku renshuu (solo training) for your throws. I'll do a series De Ashi Barai, Kouchi Gari, Ouchi Gari, Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi, Osoto Gari, and a couple of different turning tai sabaki drills as well.

    One handed Judo, especially throwing, can be more dangerous for uke due to less control available by tori as well. Be cautious.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

  7. #17
    judoka_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,611
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dood View Post
    Sorry to dig up an old topic, but I've ran into a similar problem. I was fighting in a tournament today and in the middle of the match strained a muscle in the left side of my chest real bad. Every time I tried to pull or push with my left arm it would spasm and I couldn't complete the throw I was going for. Other than an osoto makikomi and maybe a foot sweep are there any other throws I could use where I use one arm or primarily focus on using one arm?
    This is what you do when you tear a chest muscle in the middle of a contest


  8. #18
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    7,202
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    This is what you do when you tear a chest muscle in the middle of a contest

    LOL, that's what I call "cowboy up". I watched whichever part of the Inoue boxed DVD set a few days ago with that match in it. Right up there with Yamashita not stopping because of a torn calf muscle.

    Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

  9. #19
    judoka_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,611
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    LOL, that's what I call "cowboy up". I watched whichever part of the Inoue boxed DVD set a few days ago with that match in it. Right up there with Yamashita not stopping because of a torn calf muscle.

    Ben
    I partially re-tore my bicep tendon in the Uni national teams and thus lost the use of my left arm. Unfortunately I didn't manage to man up and win. I countered him for wazari, then got taken down for wazari and held down for ippon.

    Cunts sleeves came up just shy of his elbows, not that I'm making excuses or anything...

  10. #20
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    7,202
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    I partially re-tore my bicep tendon in the Uni national teams and thus lost the use of my left arm. Unfortunately I didn't manage to man up and win. I countered him for wazari, then got taken down for wazari and held down for ippon.

    Cunts sleeves came up just shy of his elbows, not that I'm making excuses or anything...
    Sounds like the referees were the cunts for not DQing him for the illegal jacket.

    But then, illegal judogi are nothing new even at highest levels of comps.

    Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO