Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2010 7:10pm

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

One handed Judo?

Well I broke a finger last Thursday and I'm letting it rest as per the orthopedics's orders. Also got a follow up with the ortho. tomorrow, see what he says.

Thing is, with my crappy schedule I barely make it to Judo as it is, and I don't want to miss any more.

So I was wondering if anybody has any advice for routines/ throws I can try to do with just one hand?

Technical info:
    1) It's in my left hand (and I'm a righty).
    2) It didn't just pop out and was replaced, a small piece of bone broke off and its still swollen, so i can't make a fist, or basically grip anything smaller than a small bottle. Don't know if this matters but figured I'd give the specifics.
    3) I'm very new to Judo and am a recreational player, so I don't mind learning new throws/routines and whatever.

What I mostly had in mind was only ouchi-komi (no randori unfortunately), and practice a one handed tai-otoshi variation along with a left handed harai goshi, maybe foot sweeps.

All Ideas and suggestions are welcomed.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Gidi; 2/07/2010 7:12pm at . Reason: edit makes perfect

Registered Member

Toronto, Ontario, The United States of Canada

Posted On:
    2/07/2010 7:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would recommend learning some theory in your downtime. Don't train injured. Go to class but don't participate physically.

Others may have some better suggestions.

Posted On:
    2/07/2010 8:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G0LG013 View Post
    I would recommend learning some theory in your downtime. Don't train injured. Go to class but don't participate physically.
    I agree. Since you are a total noob, learning is hard enough with your both hands healthy. Go watch the class.

Or you could ask your instructor is there anything he would have you do while injured.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2010 9:58pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lefty ippon seio nage, lefty ogoshi, but instead of grabbing the belt, run your other hand up between your opponent's shoulder blades, same with uke goshi, koshi garuma, standard osoto gari, but instead of grabbing the sleeve with your hand, use your wrist against the inside of the elbow driving it into the back pocket, I'd say maki komi, but if you're new, don't learn bad habits. Even though no longer legal as an initial technique in shiai, you can always work kata garuma and morote gari.

all of that is provisional on approval by your doctor.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    2/08/2010 5:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you could drill the footwork for the throws in your downtime, but If you're a total noob I'd learn the throws right handed first so they become more natural for when you play in a righty stance.

If there are throws that you can do, if you can get a willing partner just to practice with it may help.

Just btw. I would think you could do a normal ippon seio nage as long as you put most of the pressure through your right hand on ukes shoulder.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2010 8:17am

Style: Judofitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in the same boat as I broke a wrist while snowboarding last saturday (yet another bone... and they say judo is hard on your body!).
    I'm not a total noob but I'd refrain from training injured. I'll probably go and do some cardio and whatever I can manage with one hand only, but nothing that would put the wrist at potential collision, yes that includes most uchikomi. Being a recreational player, you don't really need to push yourself despite the risk. If you were training 5 days a week since months, it'd be different.

You don't want to have surgery because you shuffled around your fractured bones, entangling your finger in somebody's gi...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2010 11:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the advice guys,
    I probably will go and mostly watch, maybe try a thing or two, and talk to my coach about what I should and should not do.

This broken finger thing sucks!

BTW the orthopedic said it should take roughly 3 weeks before its good to work with, and then a few more weeks till I can properly clench it again, its been a week and a half, it is getting better every day. so hopefully soon I'll be able to do something, god, I miss Judo.

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    2/08/2010 12:02pm

Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One handed uchimata.

But as stated previously, take the downtime to work on your entries into the throw. They are just as important as the throws themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 10:06am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    your instructor should have any number of things you can do while patiently and properly waiting for your body to heal itself. talk to him. get him thinking as soon as you can.

take advantage of being injured: finding out what you can't do is a major learning opportunity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 10:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't been to Judo in 2.5 weeks.
    I was planning on going last night, but finally decided against it and went for a run instead. I'm talking to the ortho. tomorrow, and hopefully by Thursday I'll be back to Judo.
    since I still can't clench my left fist to properly grip anything, I assume anything and everything I'm gonna do for the time being is gonna be easy, but I don't mind. so long as its Judo.
    I wanted to thank everyone for their ideas, after I've spoken to my coach I'll add to this thread so that maybe other people can learn from my experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast