Posted On:
    2/04/2010 9:28pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mr. Charles Scott

Mr. Charles Scott, website here:

http://www.ikaalaska.com/index.html

Is teaching a class titled: Beginning Jui-Jitsu: Brazilian at the University of Alaska Fairbanks Tanana Valley Campus (UAF TVC). Class description is as follows:

RECR F150G T02 Beg Jui Jitsu: Brazilian Instructor: Charles Scott Credits: 1
    Emphasis on technique and conditioning. Beginning stances and etiquette. The three basic katas. Partner work, training in stretching, conditioning, and breath control. Both self-defense and sporting applications. Course will cover the eight Kung Fu animal systems. Activities will include but are not limited to: warm-ups, stretching, kicking, punching, kata, and partner work.
    Seats Remaining 12
    CRN:38346
    Dates: 01/21/2010 - 05/15/2010 Time: 10:30am- 12:00pm Days: Tue &Thu
    Campus: Building: TVCC Room: 342

This can be found here:

http://www.uaf.edu/coursefinder/sear...ka%20Fairbanks

Mr. Scott, as he is known around town, does in fact hold MANY black belts and other certifications in several martial arts including Karate, Jujutsu, and Aikido, but he does NOT hold rank in BJJ, to the best of my knowledge, as well as the knowledge of my coach (Jeff Nielsen, purple belt under Marcelo Alonso).

Having seen the mention of katas and kung fu animals, I contacted Mr. Scott's gym by calling (907) 474-8080. I spoke to a woman who confirmed that he is in fact teaching a bjj class at UAF TVC. She also informed me that he taught a Jujutsu class (I was already aware that he taught japanese jujutsu, which he holds a legitimate rank in), but that he was currently teaching the "Gracie portion" of jiu jitsu in that class.

I submit that Mr. Scott is teaching Japanese Jujutsu with the label of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to try to increase membership (and maximize $$$$$$). There is only one gym in town (i live in Fairbanks, Alaska) which has legitimate BJJ instruction. I am a blue belt under my coach and Marcelo, if that matters.

I hope this thread is acceptable here. I've never posted a MABS thread before now.

Oh, when I asked what rank Mr. Scott had in BJJ the woman on the phone said that she did not have that information.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2010 9:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I should note that he does not claim a rank in BJJ on his website, nor does he mention offering BJJ classes, though he does spell it Jiu-Jitsu, rather than jujutsu. IDK, that's probably a question of semantics, but I don't think I've ever seen traditional japanese jujutsu spelled jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2010 9:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The fact that he does not claim rank in BJJ does not excuse the fact that he is supposedly teaching it IMO.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/04/2010 9:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That university course description must be a mix-up.
    The title says brazilian jiu jitsu but the course description is talking about kung fu.

He also takes a beginners kung fu/jujitsu/taekwondo class with the exact same description.

I think you need to hear from him directly, the 'woman on the phone' sounds like she has no idea, however it definitely says he is teaching a BJJ course (albeit incorrect description) and it sounds like he has no BJJ rank.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2010 9:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rids View Post
    That university course description must be a mix-up.
    The title says brazilian jiu jitsu but the course description is talking about kung fu.

He also takes a beginners kung fu/jujitsu/taekwondo class with the exact same description.

I think you need to hear from him directly, the 'woman on the phone' sounds like she has no idea, however it definitely says he is teaching a BJJ course (albeit incorrect description) and it sounds like he has no BJJ rank.
    That's what I thought, which is why I called to make sure. I will try again to contact him directly tomorrow. I found out about this through my coach, who told me that one of our guys mentioned that he had two bjj classes the other day. My coach asked if he meant he was going to the afternoon and evening classes, and he said no, that he had BJJ with Mr. Scott later in the afternoon. This happened Tuesday I believe, and my coach told me about it last night.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/04/2010 9:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Director of Athletics and Recreation forrest.karr@alaska.edu
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2010 10:17pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Though it seems as this course is mislabeled, I sincerely doubt it is for the "$$$$$".

Universities and colleges pay adjunct or non-tenure track instructors by the course, and not by enrollment: the school takes the tuition checks, but pays the instructor a flat fee. Assuming his class makes its minimum enrollment, he can expect to earn somewhere in the region of $2000-3500 for a semester-long (15-week) course, depending on his experience. Assuming that it's in the mid-range, by teaching 3 hours a week for 15 weeks, he's earning about $66 an hour. (Given the nature of the course, I'm assuming that he has little or no prep, nor papers to grade, which is much to his advantage, as when you factor that time in to the equation, your adjunct salary can go down to as little as $15 an hour).

This is not exactly big bucks - although admittedly, times are tough and he maybe doing a bit of creative advertising just to make sure his class makes and he gets paid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2010 10:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronVonDingDong View Post
    Though it seems as this course is mislabeled, I sincerely doubt it is for the "$$$$$".

Universities and colleges pay adjunct or non-tenure track instructors by the course, and not by enrollment: the school takes the tuition checks, but pays the instructor a flat fee. Assuming his class makes its minimum enrollment, he can expect to earn somewhere in the region of $2000-3500 for a semester-long (15-week) course, depending on his experience. Assuming that it's in the mid-range, by teaching 3 hours a week for 15 weeks, he's earning about $66 an hour. (Given the nature of the course, I'm assuming that he has little or no prep, nor papers to grade, which is much to his advantage, as when you factor that time in to the equation, your adjunct salary can go down to as little as $15 an hour).

This is not exactly big bucks - although admittedly, times are tough and he maybe doing a bit of creative advertising just to make sure his class makes and he gets paid.
    I agree with you, and I did not mean to imply that he would be making big bucks for teaching this class at the university. What I think is, he's using that to sell the classes he's teaching at his gym (this is admittedly speculation, it's my opinioin, take that for what it's worth). The woman I spoke with told me he was teaching Gracie Jiu-Jitsu at his gym, in addition to the BJJ class he was teaching at UAF TVC.

My coach used to teach Karate at UAF and so he called and spoke to someone in the department who he used to work with about it. I do not know the name of the individual who he spoke with, but I will invite my coach to the thread.

If not, I will try to contact Mr. Scott directly. I will also contact the gentleman who's email was posted earlier in the thread to see if they can confirm that it is in fact a BJJ course, and what, if any credentials Mr. Scott supplied which would justify his teaching a BJJ course.