pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/03/2010 6:14pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"Dirty Fighting" by Lt. David W. Morrah jr available through the week

Pete Kautz of Alliance Martial Arts is hosting a free download for this great old book:
    http://www.alliancemartialarts.com/weeklyspecial.htm

As an artist, I really like the illustration style throughout the book (especially the anatomy chart ones). Apparently this manual has more of a catch wresting influence than some of the other WW2 combatives manuals. I kinda study these old manuals as a hobby, and this is one that I hadn't heard of but have enjoyed reading this week.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    2/04/2010 11:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the link!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2010 3:34pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very interesting. Thanks for the link!!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    2/05/2010 6:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a lot more grappling technique and emphasis in this one than the other WW2 combatives manuals out there. While most of them advocate striking to sensitive areas until they fall then stomping them out, this one takes the approach that hitting those points is difficult with an upright resisting opponent, so you should put them on the ground first.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2010 12:48am

Style: Hapkido/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice, I'm going to give this a read. Thanks

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/06/2010 8:57am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, this one looks to have some pretty good techniques for the time. It is actually better than some stuff that is out today! I especially like the pictures. Like the one that looks like hitler. And the teeth on the other one!!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2010 6:06pm

Style: Out of Practice

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why was there so much emphasis on using the knife-hand for striking during WWII? Wasn't boxing still popular?

Posted On:
    2/09/2010 8:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudemic View Post
    Why was there so much emphasis on using the knife-hand for striking during WWII? Wasn't boxing still popular?
    A number of the authors spoke highly of boxing, but I guess the idea was to teach the most destructive skills in the shortest time, and developing the correct technique to punch with the fist was thought to take too much time. They were also considering bareknuckle strikes against a guy with various clothes and armor. I think the edge of hand strike is a pretty nifty thing to have in the arsenal and I train them on a number of mediums. I even throw them into the sparring mix, but obviously they have to be used a little differently. I wonder if the shuto will ever end up in MMA.

Posted On:
    2/10/2010 9:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It also occurs to me that in a lot of the manuals, the edge of the hand is also used as a fairly intuitive way to knock things out of the way, like an outstretched weapon arm, and this comes up fairly often in the context of the fighting they were envisioning (ie lots of hand weapons coming into play).

I have a pretty funny story about the edge of the hand and WW2 combatives stuff, and it happened earlier today. I was at the DMV for some registration stuff, and I noticed that there was exactly 50 people who's numbers came up before mine. While waiting, I got my small laptop and was reading old pdfs. A cute little girl, looked about 5, started looking over my shoulder. I was going through Arwrology, and decided I should keep to text heavy pages so she wouldn't see a bunch of fighting pictures. Being a kid at the DMV, she gets antsy and starts pacing around and being a kid, and out of nowhere, she chops her dad in the throat and he gags a little, and she feels bad about it. She was so little it didn't do too much. I folded up my laptop and waited quietly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2010 8:48am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    I have a pretty funny story about the edge of the hand and WW2 combatives stuff, and it happened earlier today. I was at the DMV for some registration stuff, and I noticed that there was exactly 50 people who's numbers came up before mine. While waiting, I got my small laptop and was reading old pdfs. A cute little girl, looked about 5, started looking over my shoulder. I was going through Arwrology, and decided I should keep to text heavy pages so she wouldn't see a bunch of fighting pictures. Being a kid at the DMV, she gets antsy and starts pacing around and being a kid, and out of nowhere, she chops her dad in the throat and he gags a little, and she feels bad about it. She was so little it didn't do too much. I folded up my laptop and waited quietly.
    You remember what happened to a certain Greek Philosopher for corrupting the youth, right?

(On the plus side, said philosopher could say, at least, that it was an "all natural" product. ;) )

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast