Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    2/08/2010 2:08pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then there are a host of unaffiliated TKD schools that are run by 3rd or 4th degree BBs who grant rank, but aren't members of any of the big associations. Or people like me who hold a black belt from an organization that no longer exists (The ITC). TKD ranking is a giant morass of stupidy. I honestly would just assume that YES, he as a TKD blackbelt, and NO he does not know how to fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2010 2:29pm

Style: Hapkido/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am going to agree with Kintanon. TKD BBs have really gone down in quality, if he is a younger guy then chances are he learned the olympic style TKD, which is pretty useless in a real fight. Im not saying all TKD black belts are bad, its just a trend I seem to have noticed. I have seen old TKD masters from korea, trained before the new commercializatin trend who are really impressive.
    Just a side note I once went to a TKD seminar, they told my to drop my hands so I can kick faster, and not block because it could hurt the other persons foot.
    Last edited by feral00; 2/08/2010 2:34pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2010 10:24pm

Style: TKD Hapkido Judo Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feral00 View Post
    Just a side note I once went to a TKD seminar, they told my to drop my hands so I can kick faster, and not block because it could hurt the other persons foot.
    This was a sport TKD seminar right? My Korean GM always insisted we should block as hard as we could because it was possible to break the opponents arm or leg with a well applied block. So did I have a good teacher after all?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2010 10:48pm

Style: Hapkido/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah it was a sport seminar, I have met some amazing TKD blackbelts, they just weren't the ones running that seminar. I have been to good TKD seminars and demos too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 5:49am

Style: BJJ, TKD, Lifting+Cardio

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can ask for his Kukkiwon certificate. There's a certificate many times. Also like everyone said, you can contact the Kukkiwon. Also, you may want to ask him who his G.M. and master are and where he got his BBelt certified. That could give away a fake even faster lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 2:25pm

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They should have had to send application for certification through either of the main organizations (WTF/ITF) for Taekwondo. If not then perhaps they are with a union or association that is not under any specific organization.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWanderingTaoist
    This was a sport TKD seminar right? My Korean GM always insisted we should block as hard as we could because it was possible to break the opponents arm or leg with a well applied block. So did I have a good teacher after all?
    Same here. My instructors always stressed that when you block do so with full power. And when you attack, break through your opponent. I remember once my main instructor (he is the head master of the school) explained how he does not give a **** if it's the other person's arm, leg torso, or head and that he wants us to break them in half.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/17/2010 7:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One caveat about using the KKW site to verify rank is that you need the person's date of birth and must type in the name exactly as it is shown on the certificate. This usually means you need a middle name...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2010 2:55am

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One way to guesstimate where it's from is also the way they write TKD.
    IF it's Taekwon-Do, it's ITF, if it's Tae Kwon Do it could b KKW or another, Taekwondo and it's usually ATA/USTU/offshoots. If you can find out what org though, someone can check I'm sure.
    Sounds like he's full of crap from all angles though heh.

Posted On:
    2/19/2010 9:55pm

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a quick update. I dropped the investigation at this time because it's not worthwhile. His black belt is from the 70's and from what it sounds like, he got it at a college. *blink* I don't think it needs much investigating...and as someone else pointed out, it'd be hard to actually hunt down a black belt issued over 30 years ago.
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2010 11:10pm

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    University black belt? Prolly means he sucks ass and can't fight worth ****. A lot of the Taekwondoists I have encountered that trained through a college or university club or program can't kick or punch worth ****. What's worse is that they do belt promotions like every six weeks.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast