Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/03/2010 12:52am

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Black Belt Question

I had someone recently tell me they were a 1st-degree Black Belt in TKD. Is there a registry somewhere that would verify this?

Thank you very much.
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2010 8:30am

Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If they claim to be certified under the WTF then you can checked to see if they are registered with Kukkiwan and/or with US taekwndo. If they are from the ATA or ITF then I don't know if they have a registry or not.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2010 9:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Korean Dragon is right. Most formal organizations will have some sort of DB that you can check against. But there are two issues you need to take into account. One, he could have gotten his rank from Joe Blow Kwan Do. I am not saying that is bad. Joe Blow could have a great school. But, because Joe Blow does not associate with any formal organization, you really cannot confirm it.

The other issue is just because he has a rank that is registered with some organization like WTF or ATA or whatever, doesn’t mean he earned it. He's a great example, I know this guy who had a WTF 1 Dan. He goes to work for this guy’s Dojang, mostly doing IT support for "afterschool" program. He gets promoted to 3rd Dan by this guy ("grandmaster") for doing nothing more than Helpdesk support. Not only that, but the "GM" was able to get him certified by the WTF as a 3rd Dan.

The question I have is why do you care? I usually only do background checks on guys who piss me off :)

Posted On:
    2/03/2010 11:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by m4949 View Post
    The question I have is why do you care? I usually only do background checks on guys who piss me off :)

I care because in another forum (not on this site) we were having a debate about something and he threw that gem out there with a fantastical story about how he saved a police officer from a man going for his gun by utilizing a "naked arm bar choke." *blink*

He also makes money off of being an "expert" and publishing his bullshit...that's why I care.
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2010 12:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well in that case, send me some links. I'll help you :)

Posted On:
    2/03/2010 1:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "naked arm bar choke" is my new favorite move.

Posted On:
    2/03/2010 1:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "First, I have about a 15-year martial arts history. I formally trained in aikido, judo, jiu-jitsu, and tai chi, and have a first-degree black belt (which seems to have shrunk since I earned it at age 30) in tae kwon do. Especially during my judo and jiu-jitsu studies, I both applied and received chokes many times, both in drills and in free-sparring type-activities."

"Second, I do have 'real world in anger' experience in choking. I had at least two assailants (both large adult males) try to manually strangle me, and on at least one occasion I threw a naked arm bar choke on an assailant (again, a large adult male) who was beating up a cop and going for his gun."

The second paragraph is what I'm referring to. If you want the link, PM me.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2010 2:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    O my. Got to love the internet tough guy!

I seem to recall a few years back seeing this video of a cop getting his ass kicked and some guy jumping with a choke to help him out. The guy was on the national news and all that crap. I just tried to google it and could not find much.

I am not in any way implying this is the guy, but, some of these internet tough guys like to pick up on a story and make sound like they did something similar.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2010 1:33pm

Style: Kendo & Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFoxtrot51 View Post
    I had someone recently tell me they were a 1st-degree Black Belt in TKD. Is there a registry somewhere that would verify this?

Thank you very much.
    If he is claiming to hold Kukkiwon rank, you can look here:
    http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/eng/index.action

Go to the tab that says one stop service and select 'check for poom/dan.' If he is claiming to be a "WTF" blackbelt, then this is where you would go, as the WTF does not issue their own ranks, but recognizes only Kukkiwon rank.

If he is ATA, you may have to contact them in writing. I looked on the ATA site http://ataonline.com/taekwondo/, but could find no rank verification function. Not saying that it isn't there, but I could not find it.

If he claims ITF, then you have your work cut out, because there are three different groups using the name ITF. Well, four if you count the one in NK.

Good luck!

Daniel

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    2/08/2010 1:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it a choke? Is it an armlock? Is it a stranarmchokelock?

Don't leave us hanging like this, we have to fucking know!
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast