Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    1/31/2010 2:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uh, isn't it illegal to export authentic antique Samuria swords from the mainland because they are considered national treasures?

That's been my understanding for a while, but please correct me if I'm mistaken.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    1/31/2010 4:25pm

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i believe that there were good quality blades being produced at that time, as well as the mass produced ones. still it seems most likely the OP was selling crap.
    Absolutely to the bold. This whole thing reeks of scam.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/31/2010 5:04pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and tang rubbing.
    DAMN I REALLY wanted to see this too.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    1/31/2010 5:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm guessing a tang rubbing would be where you capture the design on the tang by placing paper over it, then rubbing said paper with graphite (a pencil) or something?
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2010 7:53pm

Style: bjj, boxing, ex-iwama ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bought the katana, its beautiful. I used the money deposited in my account from this guy in Nigeria whose client just passed away.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/31/2010 11:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ex-Tomiki Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seeing as how this thread has attracted a few folks with knowledge of feudal-era weapons, one of you might be able to help me with something.

I have a good friend with a katana brought back by a family member from WWII. I'm not looking for an appraisal or anything of the sort. She doesn't know the exact origin history, and I'm thinking between the tang inscriptions and the design, someone here with a lot more experience than me might be able to peg down where it came from.

I'll probably start a new thread when I get the photos from her...just throwing up a flag for anyone who might have experience with these things.

One thing it does have that I've never seen before is a pushbutton release just underneath the tsuba. Also, a 5-petaled chrysanthemum on the very end of the hilt- I forget what that piece is called.

Pics when I get them.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    2/01/2010 12:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The chrysanthemum is the insignia of the Imperial family, which would lead me to believe it would be a military standard-issue sword, probably an officer's, especially if it was taken from war-dead in the Pacific.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/01/2010 5:01am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ex-Tomiki Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic View Post
    The chrysanthemum is the insignia of the Imperial family, which would lead me to believe it would be a military standard-issue sword, probably an officer's, especially if it was taken from war-dead in the Pacific.
    That's my thinking too...except the story as I understand it is that this was given as a gift to the servicemember in question from a very much alive Japanese officer.

When I see her again to get the pictures from her, I'll see if she can remember some more of what she knows regarding its history.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    2/01/2010 10:09am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i believe that there were good quality blades being produced at that time, as well as the mass produced ones.
    Unless the blade was traditionally forged and folded and carries the appropriate documentation, it's likely to be crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic View Post
    That's a Meiji-era anyways so even if it was real they'd probably be the ones mass-produced for the army, no?
    No, Shingunto and Kaigunto were all Showa period however, officer and senior NCO class were permitted to mount older toshin (blades) into gunto mounts, thus you will occasionally find what looks like a battered worthless sword is actually historically worth something.
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson View Post
    Uh, isn't it illegal to export authentic antique Samuria swords from the mainland because they are considered national treasures?
    Japanese swords can only really be considered "samurai" if they were manufactured before the end of the formal class structure of Japan IE before the Meiji Restoration. Anything after that time should correctly be known as a "Japanese sword" however, as you assert, it is illegal to export (from mainland Japan) forged and folded blades without the appropriate licence and fee. If the toshin in question was indeed old and possibly manufactured by a known smith, the likelihood of such authorisation becomes remote.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin497 View Post
    I have a good friend with a katana brought back by a family member from WWII. I'm not looking for an appraisal or anything of the sort. She doesn't know the exact origin history, and I'm thinking between the tang inscriptions and the design, someone here with a lot more experience than me might be able to peg down where it came from.
    If you can post pictures of the ashigata (tang rubbings) for both sides of the tang and images of the sword furniture I may be able to assist you.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    2/01/2010 6:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is a personal sword made by a legit smith likely to have the chrysanthemum on it, though? I would have thought such an image was restricted for either those closely affiliated to the imperial family or the army or something. You'd think your average bushi walking around with a chrysanthemum sword would get in a lot of trouble.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast