Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2010 12:49am

Style: Judo, BJJ, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dark Horse Brazilian Jiu Jitsu: Longmont, CO

The number ratings are essentially placeholders for now based on my initial impressions, let me explain:

Professors Matt Jubera and Andrew Dudderar are opening a new Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school in Longmont, CO. As part of their initial promotion period, I attended a free intro / private lesson with Matt. Matt is an amazing instructor and is the best grappler I have ever rolled with, bar none. He has extremely precise technique and an amazing sense of balance and awareness on the mat. I was amazed at how easily and quickly Matt was able to notice any wrong positioning when we reviewed submission basics and get me to correct it promptly, all without me feeling as though I was having to work that hard to correct the technique. After just a short time I had improved several basic submissions I had been having trouble finishing in the past.

This is just an initial impression - I will update it as I continue at the school. Needless to say, I signed up and am looking forward to classes officially starting this coming Monday. If you're in the Boulder/Longmont/Greater Denver (or even Fort Collins) area in CO, you should get out here and give the school a try. It's worth coming in just for the free introductory lesson or session. Professor Jubera and Dudderar's competition records speak for themselves as to their skill at the art, I am simply writing here to confirm that the instruction is superior and the facility is spacious (tons of room on the mats) and that this place has the potential to develop into one of the top tier BJJ programs in the region over the next couple of years if it gets a solid student base.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2010 1:38pm

Style: Judo, BJJ, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My review process is still ongoing, but I've seen enough for some preliminary rankings.

Let me cushion the equipment and size ratings - the school is new, has some dressing rooms, and some really kick ass zebra mats, a water tank, a bathroom, a storage room, and a couple of chairs in a lobbyish space. There's no cage, locker rooms and showers, full on pro shop, weight rooms, etc, but I am sure this will change in time.

There's a lot of mat space, but they're already getting a high turnout, so they may have to extend it longterm. Still, there's space for two classes of 10-15 people to be in session on the mat at the same time comfortably.

I've stayed past my classes a couple of times to watch the more advanced guys roll with Prof. Jubera (nothing like watching aq master destroy browns and purples) and they speak very highly of his ability, the atmosphere, etc.

Let me justify the atmosphere rating to more skeptical members. I have never rolled at a place with a more open, friendly, and still dead f%&*ing serious attitude towards training. They make the students commit to coming 2-3 x a week, stress taking care of your partner as your #1 priority, etc. Profs Dudderar and Jubera check up on everyone regularly offering advice and encouragement. Everyone I have spoken with has been hugely impressed by this place, from new white belts to advanced competitors.

Grappling instruction is a 9 for now, but the profs have the skill and the students the potential to push it to the coveted 10 spot in a few years.

One of the biggest testaments to the awesomeness of this place is its growth rate - They're up to ~25 or more fully commited students after 1 & 1/2 weeks of being open - I see new faces in every class I go to. If you're anywhere from Denver to Fort Collins I recommend stopping in.