Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 3:57pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

real selfdefense center

I stumbled upon this place by accident, but ended up loving it insanely.

Originally i thought it strictly no gi BJJ and boxing, but realized they did a whole **** load of stuff.

Firstly, the BJJ is taught by a purple belt as teh head instructor Calen Paine. When Every year the straight blast gym guys Luis Gurritrez or Matt Thorton(Blah i dont know how to spell his name) come down and do the belt testing. They currently have three blue belts.
    The focus for the ground work is greatly balls and frames, structure posture and movement. Instruction is princple based in regards that no one is doing swinging arm bars back and forth and then free roll. Instead you would first learn an armbar from side mount, then with isolated resistence. The escape would be taught and the defenses. Drills would be controlled resistence that increases over time. Until both parties are totally uncopoerative and then it becomes free rolling. It sounds clumsy how i describe it but its more fluid then i describe. The class usually ends with free rolling then open class(do whatever you want to work on) near the end.
    On wednesday is the clinch day, focussing on free fighting from the clinch and take downs.
    He has a day dedicated to free rolling, first they start out standing up then progress to starting on the ground, then Jitts with hits. Then standing up with striking from the clinch with an emphasis on take downs.

The boxing is taught by both a boxing coach and the head instructor(calen). The boxing coach is a cop and lately he has been very busy, but he did lay the foundation with the training of a whole bunch of the instructors, and Calen himself who has a good striking background, and still arrives frequintly. The stand up is mostly boxing and kickboxing, greater emphasis on boxing, though they almost always end up throwing on shin pads and add kicks in.
    Tuesdays is devoted stictly to striking with sparring then is open mat at the end.
    Sundays is all for free fighting with striking. They start off boxing, then go to kickboxing then striking with take downs.

There are citizens protection classes on mondays and many seminars related to it. It is as the name indicates, citizen protection. A mix of the ISR system and Calens own material. Weapon defense seminars as well as mixed within the classes. Based on an MMA platform without sport filters(best way to describe it)

There are weapons classes on saturday morning, with plans for a more frequent instruction coming soon. The stuff is FMA mostly, knife and stick.

Equipment you basically have to buy it from Calen or bring your own, though he has a stock pile of boxing gloves and head gear, even a few used shin pads. Though your much better off buying your own.

Pricing i havent paid for a long time, i have been doing mostly drop ins lately.

10 bucks a drop in, though he may be increasing it to 15 bucks in 2010.

He and his students offer private lessons, Though no kids classes he had experience teaching kids and does private lessons for kids.

http://www.realselfdefensecenter.com/
    Last edited by AAAhmed46; 1/25/2011 6:21pm at . Reason: Realized i exaggerated states.

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 9:00pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Want to come up with some more info: They have seminars running all the time too, and matt thorton and luis guritrez (forgive my spelling, cant blame it on the keyboard this time) visit usually once or twice a year to test and teach. Kelly warden also comes along often, and many other instructors have come and gone teaching seminars. Lots going on here.