Sponsored Links Spacer Image

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 1:20am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No longer exists.
    Last edited by Sley; 5/06/2010 9:26pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 11:28am

Style: Standup, Ground-fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd be wary of comments like "his skills are not to be doubted"; doubting people's skills is literally the stated goal of this website. Also regarding the wrestler: what do you mean by "inventing submissions as he goes"? And when you say he has coached sucessful wrestlers, do you have specifics?

Your write-up seems fair, but your numerical scores come off as inflated, particularly the seven for striking instruction when you admit the atmosphere is "laid back" and beginner-oriented. I'm sure others will chime in.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 11:35am

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd love to check it out, but I gotta say...the classes times suck, how are people that work full time supposed to make a class by 3:45? Classes are only 1 hr 15 min 4x a week? For $130 a month?

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    3/02/2010 10:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing-Kwan-Fu View Post
    I'd be wary of comments like "his skills are not to be doubted"; doubting people's skills is literally the stated goal of this website. Also regarding the wrestler: what do you mean by "inventing submissions as he goes"? And when you say he has coached successful wrestlers, do you have specifics?

Your write-up seems fair, but your numerical scores come off as inflated, particularly the seven for striking instruction when you admit the atmosphere is "laid back" and beginner-oriented. I'm sure others will chime in.
    The Russian, doesn't teach submissions, he teaches take-downs, and takedowns only, he just has this funny skill to makeshift his way through submissions when sparring, as he doesn't really know any.

Also the classes are actually 5 days a week,

The Saturday class just tends to be taken over by take-downs, or Judo, its kind of the odd day of the week.

They used to have a Black-Belt, and 6-8 classes Tuesday and Thursday but not enough people came, hence the price, their are usually only four people their...

I used the phrase "but his skills are not to be doubted" to say that even though its hazy which region he won in, he still is a very good grappler, considering he is at least forty.

On the striking, they meet the qualifications sort of I was confused a little

"6-7: Comprehensive striking (all ranges) or superior single range striking with success in local/regional competition or practical application."

Comprehensive striking (all ranges)
    Yes, its Muay Thai.

with success in local/regional competition or practical application

The guys at Newbreed, who certified Colin to teach, and where he still trained meet these expectations. They had a kid beat up another kid once, does that count? It seems unfair to judge it on that aspect as the school alone as it has only really had its Muay Thai program operational since August.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2010 12:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understood that "not to be doubted" meant "he's a good grappler", but I meant to imply that the accreditation of a single online beginner (?) and an unknown victory in Russia over mysterious opponents are not really ironclad proof, so you should avoid acting like they are. I should have put more emphasis on my question regarding the success of his students; that would be much more relevant proof of his teaching skills. I am glad to hear the wrestler is not the jiu-jitsu instructor.

But regarding my other complaint, if the striking instruction only meets one half of the qualifications for a 6 or 7, well, that makes it a 5 at best, doesn't it? No, some kid "beating up" another kid at a different school does not count as competitive success, use your noggin. And if the fact alone that it's Muay Thai (taught by a non-nak muay, no less) qualifies your school for a 7, then I could give my self a 7 for striking instruction just by writing "Moi Toy" on my wall and running a few knee-the-pad drills in my basement.

Similar lines of inquiry might find you lowering several other numbers in your review. I know it hurts; such is the pain of honesty.
    Last edited by Wing-Kwan-Fu; 3/03/2010 12:05am at .

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    3/03/2010 11:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understood that "not to be doubted" meant "he's a good grappler", but I meant to imply that the accreditation of a single online beginner (?) and an unknown victory in Russia over mysterious opponents are not really ironclad proof, so you should avoid acting like they are. I should have put more emphasis on my question regarding the success of his students; that would be much more relevant proof of his teaching skills. I am glad to hear the wrestler is not the jiu-jitsu instructor.

But regarding my other complaint, if the striking instruction only meets one half of the qualifications for a 6 or 7, well, that makes it a 5 at best, doesn't it? No, some kid "beating up" another kid at a different school does not count as competitive success, use your noggin. And if the fact alone that it's Muay Thai (taught by a non-nak muay, no less) qualifies your school for a 7, then I could give my self a 7 for striking instruction just by writing "Moi Toy" on my wall and running a few knee-the-pad drills in my basement.

Similar lines of inquiry might find you lowering several other numbers in your review. I know it hurts; such is the pain of honesty.
    The Grappleing instruction has been praised by pretty much every visitor, including a purple belt from out of town, can't recall the name, still, Just visit us, can't you just visit us? I'm their almost EVERY Saturday Fall-Winter-Spring, so you can count on at least testing me.

Alex beat
    Bob Schirmer at NAGA.
    Last edited by Sley; 4/29/2010 10:56pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2010 10:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My skills? I'm a paraplegic and I train in fung shue, doesn't have much to do with anything. I'd bet a six is fine for striking, or maybe it's a 7 after all, I'm sorry to pick nits. Some of the wording worried me in your writeup, but it sounds like a good school if you guys are competing. I'd come down if I was closer. Best of luck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2010 4:56pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Where can I sign up for those knee-the-pad drills?

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    3/04/2010 8:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am going to put it up to 6, based on the fact that we do spar, and despite not having made a fighter in Muay Thai yet.

Also the fight, as in beating a person up, was a sanctioned match, New Breed Chicago, the school that kind of determines our qualifications has fighters.

A Muay Thai instructor and fighter at NEWBREED SAID SO, basically the same as many non-fighter instructors, again, he has four Amateur Boxing match's, so I guess that the Boxing is still decent.

To bad we still don't have Jeff Neal, then it would get an 8 as we used to have a pro MMA fighter on staff, plus Jeff, who has as fought MMA, and had a lot of coaching.
    Last edited by Sley; 5/06/2010 7:41pm at .