Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/22/2010 10:54am

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Competition Differences by Ruleset?

I have only ever competed in ordinary BJJ competition. However, I am looking at competing in other rulesets like judo and freestyle SAMBO. I know there are differences in rulesets, but I was curious about specific differences in tournament preparation, the competition experience itself as well as the different needs brought up by the ruleset.

I understand that if I compete in judo I need to work on my standing grappling, or in bjj I need to work on my ground game. Could anyone shine more light on this? Also what about tournament flow? Does judo comp tend to run more smoothly than a bjj one? What about SAMBO or Grappler's Quest or NAGA?

I apologize if this is too broad. I know there is some cross benefit for these competitions while training for another ruleset. But what specific shortcomings/differences have you experienced in both your preparation for and your competition under different rulesets?

Posted On:
    1/22/2010 1:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: comparison shopping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For judo you also have to stay off your back. Are you aware of the recent rule change? If your standup grappling relies on touching people's legs with your hands you may have to completely relearn it (stupid IJF).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2010 1:50pm

Style: ukemi & tapping out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For Judo competition you should find a club or at least someone else who does Judo to practice your throws with. If you really want to compete with the goal of doing Judo really work on being able to throw for ippon, although it wouldn't hurt to work on ways to skillfully enter into newaza so you can apply your BJJ skills without being stood up immediately or given a penalty (no pulling guard). On the ground really work on your osaekomi (pins). These are more important than submissions in Judo, which you should only go for if you can maintain osaekomi while attempting them. For guard positions I would recommend working on sweeps, since some refs wouldn't recognize a submission attempt from those positions even if you were performing it on them and will stand you up. It's happened to me a few times. Also work on ways of breaking open a person's turtle and turning them over into osaekomi, rather than just getting your hooks in where things can get stalled for a few moments and a ref might say no progress is being made.

I've only been to local competitions, and those don't tend to be run very well. If you go to one, be prepared to sit around a lot and to have some trouble figuring out when your match is. You'll probably have to go around bugging a lot of people to figure out that last part.

Posted On:
    1/25/2010 2:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do train judo with a nidan for a coach, however, he hasn't competed in bjj. I knew that there were some people like Coach Josh, Gezere, Yrkoon9, SamboSteve and Hedge who had competed in both. That's why I asked here.

Posted On:
    1/25/2010 5:10pm

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    For judo you also have to stay off your back.
    Can you elaborate on this please?

Posted On:
    1/25/2010 5:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: comparison shopping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're held flat on your back for 25 seconds (with your opponent facing down more or less and not entangled in your legs) you lose.

Posted On:
    1/25/2010 6:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you competed in judo? If so, what sort of tournament prep did you do? Also, in your judo experience what did you notice as far as refs allowing different grips and what about newaza allowance? I want to play judo instead of throwing out half-hearted tomoe-nages to pull guard but if a throw fails or scores only yuko are there forbidden sweeps? I know I can't attack the legs with locks and no shoulder attacks but what have you seen with ne-waza compared to bjj or sub-grappling tournaments? Have you ever competed in any other rulests like bjj, NAGA, etc? If so what would you say your major prep differences were?

Posted On:
    1/25/2010 7:11pm

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    If you're held flat on your back for 25 seconds (with your opponent facing down more or less and not entangled in your legs) you lose.
    Oh, I thought you meant that they'd done away with guard work. I was going to chuck a fit. Nevermind.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2010 1:53am

Style: ukemi & tapping out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tournament Prep: Lots of randori at first. Lots and lots of randori, but as you get closer to the competition you do less to reduce the chances of injury. You can also do drills like shark tank, where you go through a line of people trying to throw them in under a minute while they can throw you as many times as they want. You can do the same with newaza trying to get osaekomi or a submission. Another drill is where you have two people on opposite ends of the mat, and you run back and forth between them, throwing them each time you get to them. Working on combination throws and following a throw into osaekomi or a submission is also a good idea.

Grips & Newaza: This really depends of the referee you get. Some will let almost anything go, while some have a stick up their ass. With grips I believe in being flexible about what is available instead of fighting too much for your favorite grip, but that's me. In newaza just keep moving and put an emphasis on osaekomi.

Forbidden sweeps: The only things I can think of are to not do kani-basami and kawazu-gake. If you mean sweeps from the guard, just about anything should be legal.

Compared to other competitions: Sorry, haven't competed in anything besides Judo. I plan to later this year. The only thing I can think of is that you'll have to put more emphasis on osaekomi and attacking the turtle. Practice a few reliable turtle turnovers.

Good luck. :icon_salu

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/26/2010 9:09pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast