Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 7:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Submission Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    Whenever I'm working out at home, I do this type of drill on a heavy bag that I lay on the floor. It works great and is one of my favorite solo JJ drills.
    I've done this in Conditioning class, combined with strikes. 5 strikes, new position, 5 strikes, etc. Hammerfists, baby!

Jasculs, thanks for the video. It seems like this drill would be very versatile, depending on the intensity of resistance.

Vorpal, I agree, heavy isn't the best adjective to use. For me, I think about it as staying "connected" at the chest, but being able to switch out that pressure for knee on belly given the opportunity or need. Up, down, up down. The advantage of the mobility for me at least is being ready to take advantage of what my opponent gives me, back, arm, etc.

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 3:27pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    Is "heavy" really the best way to describe the opposite of the more "floaty" style? I prefer to think of it as "constant pressure" vs "fast and loose" and find that the people who vacillate seamlessly between those two styles to be maddingly hard to defend against.
    Yah, this is kind of the question I was trying to ask. Heavy pressure on at least one core element (head, chest, hips, etc.) while making transitions. No gaps and such.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 11:33pm

Style: Judo-Brown

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What you are not getting is that should be trying to apply as much pressure as you can while moving. You move when you don't have a choice.

i roll with a few very fit black belts that have 20-30 pounds on me. Surprise, surprise when i do occasionally get to a dominant position i can't physically keep them on their back (especially No Gi). So i move to try to stay on top. While moving i'm applying as much pressure as i can at all times.

I'm trying to keep them from moving, but that isn't an option. So my choices are move with them or get put in a submissive position.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12