Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/26/2010 2:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Versus21

I have been going to Versus21 for close to two years now, having joined not long after it opened. I fell into an extremely well run school and that is why I stay. Sensei Blake Lirette, a world champion kickboxer, runs a rigorous, high spirited program, defined as 'Standup MMA'. We are put through our paces in a different way every class. The program has a karate oriented system, with techniques cherry picked ranging from Muay Thai, Karate, Boxing, TKD, BJJ, and anything else that is interesting. Sensei Blake, as much as all the instructors at the school, is very knowledgeable and is a great motivator to all his students, and is supportive of everybody who attends. No attitudes, just great training.

• open sparring Fridays at 6 pm.
    • full contact fight team.
    • private lessons, beginner and advanced classes.
    • BJJ is offered by instructor Todd Smith.
    • fight styled crossfit circuit training is offered for fitness and conditioning.

If you are in Vancouver, check this gym out.
    I may sound like I have embellished a lot, but I do feel it is an excellent school for training in martial arts.
    http://versus21.com/mma/
    http://versus21.com/blake/
    Last edited by marnomad; 1/26/2010 7:45am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2010 5:21am

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just look at all those tens... Ever since reviews started coming up on the front page, I've become so jaded about 10s. I don't even know how many reviews I've read now where people just dole out the 10s and don't even read the guidelines.

Striking AND grappling both at 10s? Really?

Also, the website seems to embellish a bit. It states that the instructor has "hundreds" of "tournaments, smokers, amateur, and pro fights," yet Sherdog only has one fight listed: http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Blake-Lirette-18979

The fight listed isn't from K-1 Las Vegas (which the instructor's site says he is a veteran of). After saying that he has had hundreds or fights/tournaments, it goes on to say that his record is only 42 and 1... does that not conflict with "hundreds"?

Also, Sherdog says his only fight was in September of 2006 in Canada, yet his website says that he was training Muay Thai in Thailand and studying Gemology (which he received a certificate in) in 2006.

Man, I'm gonna stop reading reviews and going to the websites. Everyone is so full of it.

Posted On:
    1/26/2010 7:05am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Striking and grappling are at 7 unless he's been back to edit.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    1/26/2010 7:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
    Also, the website seems to embellish a bit. It states that the instructor has "hundreds" of "tournaments, smokers, amateur, and pro fights," yet Sherdog only has one fight listed: http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Blake-Lirette-18979

The fight listed isn't from K-1 Las Vegas (which the instructor's site says he is a veteran of). After saying that he has had hundreds or fights/tournaments, it goes on to say that his record is only 42 and 1... does that not conflict with "hundreds"?

Also, Sherdog says his only fight was in September of 2006 in Canada, yet his website says that he was training Muay Thai in Thailand and studying Gemology (which he received a certificate in) in 2006.
    Sherdog only lists MMA fights, not kickboxing ones like K-1. There is lots and lots of him kickboxing on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...=blake+lirette)

Oh and here is an account of his fight in K1 Las Vegas.

So hows about we type peoples' names into Google before we go calling bullshit next time, yeah?

Posted On:
    1/26/2010 7:26am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sorry, I did this too quickly and Updated the review

@Tangent:
    actually, you are right when It comes to the ratings, I read the guidelines months ago, then tonight decided to up and write a review. Excuse the enthusiastic mistake of a minor student. I re-read the guidelines after reading your comment and adjusted them. In fact, the guidelines make a lot of sense. Its more of a qualitative scale than a matter of rating of worst to best on a scale of 0 to 10. So sorry for sounding like I was 'full of it'.

As for my instructors record, It is true that I am citing something I personally don't have all the details for. Probably, other information on the web is what is not complete and is what arises your suspicions. But I am only trying to answer the call of bullshido for my attempt at a review.

I occasionally get the chance to travel. When I do I call up a martial arts gym and drop in to train. There are some great people teaching martial arts out there, but something about the spirit of the school I call home base still seems to be better than anything else I have seen so far. I keep an open mind about that though, because when I go away, I return with a different perspective on something that I didn't have before, or needed to hear again.

@PointyShinyBurn, thanks.
    Last edited by marnomad; 1/26/2010 7:31am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 6:15am

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Word. I wasn't really trying to call bullshit, though I see how it seems that way. I was only trying to point out what I saw as embellishment - for instance, "hundreds" of fights with a record of 42 and 1. It must have been my immediate internet reaction to 10s that placed my text onto a bullshit flag.

@marnomad, I hear you buddy. Like I said, I'm jaded. People drop 10s on reviews like they're in limited supply.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2010 6:08am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
    Just look at all those tens... Ever since reviews started coming up on the front page, I've become so jaded about 10s. I don't even know how many reviews I've read now where people just dole out the 10s and don't even read the guidelines.

Striking AND grappling both at 10s? Really?

Man, I'm gonna stop reading reviews and going to the websites. Everyone is so full of it.
    I hear you on that. I liked the old format where wacky martial art stories were on the front page.

Posted On:
    1/28/2010 1:33pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy cow, you post on this site, you answer the call of Bullshido immediately!