Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/03/2010 8:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamSP View Post
    Brattleboro: a great town, but there's not very many places to train that have websites nearby.
    If you know of anything good though, please, I would love some solid training.

I may move out there in july.
    Say what?

Also, diesel_tke, I'm not defending ballet or yoga as self-defense (which Liam obviously wasn't saying in the first place; he, like several others in this thread, was suggesting conditioning and physical training of a non-combat nature). But you're the guy in this thread recommending learning from DVDs.

Just sayin'.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/03/2010 9:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't Evan Tanner claim he learned BJJ from Gracie Instructional DVDs when he first entered the Octogon?

If it worked for Tanner.... (Though he was also a high school wrestling champ)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2010 10:32pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamSP View Post
    Brattleboro: a great town, but there's not very many places to train that have websites nearby.
    If you know of anything good though, please, I would love some solid training.

I may move out there in july.
    Only thing I can think of is that there is a college in Keene, seems like they have a BJJ club...

http://www.keene.edu/recsports/clubsports.cfm
    Last edited by Joz; 2/03/2010 10:56pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2010 2:59pm

Style: Isshin-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joz View Post
    Only thing I can think of is that there is a college in Keene, seems like they have a BJJ club...

http://www.keene.edu/recsports/clubsports.cfm
    Goddamn thats helpful.

I was worrying about driving an hour for groundwork.

I really appreciate it.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    2/04/2010 3:50pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a possiblity for you:
    http://www.martialartsprinciples.com/paul-bowman.html

Looks like the guy trains with Renzo Gracie NH but he's only a Blue Belt.

There's a Rigan Machado Purple belt up there too:
    http://www.flowmma.org/

Other places in the area without websites:
    Powerhouse Boxing and Kickboxing

Once you move up there do some visits and maybe you'll find something.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/04/2010 4:35pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    Say what?

Also, diesel_tke, I'm not defending ballet or yoga as self-defense (which Liam obviously wasn't saying in the first place; he, like several others in this thread, was suggesting conditioning and physical training of a non-combat nature). But you're the guy in this thread recommending learning from DVDs.

Just sayin'.

Really? I could have swore I said to get a heavy bag and start doing some kickboxing on there. And I stand by that over learning yoga, for fitness or for learning to defend yourself when there is no other option.

You put someone who has been doing the bas rutten CDs for a year with someone who has been doing yoga for a year, in the ring. You think the yoga guy wins? If so, good for you. Personally, I don't think so.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2010 11:54am

Style: Isshin-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    Here's a possiblity for you:
    http://www.martialartsprinciples.com/paul-bowman.html

Looks like the guy trains with Renzo Gracie NH but he's only a Blue Belt.

There's a Rigan Machado Purple belt up there too:
    http://www.flowmma.org/

Other places in the area without websites:
    Powerhouse Boxing and Kickboxing

Once you move up there do some visits and maybe you'll find something.
    Thank you!

Posted On:
    2/06/2010 11:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 12 View Post
    Didn't Evan Tanner claim he learned BJJ from Gracie Instructional DVDs when he first entered the Octogon?

If it worked for Tanner.... (Though he was also a high school wrestling champ)
    The OP is not Evan Tanner.

http://www.bullshido.org/w/index.php...Tanner%27s_Law

Tanner's Law - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Diesel--for the third time, nobody was saying that yoga is a way to learn to fight. He was saying that in the absence of fighting instruction, maybe one should focus on other physical skills. You are saying that in the absence of fighting instruction, one should learn from DVDs.

I think learning from DVDs is like kata: Yes, it can be done productively. But the overwhelming majority of people don't do it productively, and the likely result of doing it is negative.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    2/06/2010 12:12pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Swimming.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/06/2010 12:18pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand what you are saying. I just don't agree. You get a heavy bag and learn some good combos from the bas rutten CDs and you will get in some pretty good shape. Learn to throw a punch properly, learn to do combos while keeping your hands up, and learn to turn your hips over properly when throwing kicks. You do those things and do the combos from the CDs. That is a VERY good work out plus you are learning some basics that will benifit you if you get into a fight. You are also getting to practice distance and movement around the bag if you do it right.

If you are wanting fight fitness, use the all around CD. Where he throws sprawls, pushups, and kickboxing combos into the mix. 30 minutes of that will put you in better fight shape than yoga will.

I just think if he wanted to talk about fitness then he should have posted into the fitness forum. He would get some good advice. There are a lot of people on here who have used the bas rutten cds to suppliment their kickboxing training. I have used them for years. You should try them before you completely discount them. Obviously he could learn some bad habits which could be corrected if he went to a teacher every once in a while.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast