Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsThree Friends

Posted On:
    1/24/2010 1:22pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, yoga to cross train for flexibility is a good idea. Yoga as the only training in an attempt to learn some type of self defense is idiotic.

Talking about Sambo steve and say Phil Migliarese? Sambo Master of Sport and a BJJ black belt. They didn't train Yoga to learn a martial art. They trained it for the other benefits.

If you tell someone who is looking for a martial art to go learn yoga, then you are worse then the Mcdojo teachers.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Genius

Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/24/2010 3:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But Yoga can teach you to teleport and spit fire.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." – Voltaire.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/24/2010 3:49pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just order a Tapout shirt online and have it delivered to your house. It's the fastest, cheapest way to train UFC.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/24/2010 8:03pm

Style: Isshin-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke View Post
    Yeah, yoga to cross train for flexibility is a good idea. Yoga as the only training in an attempt to learn some type of self defense is idiotic.

Talking about Sambo steve and say Phil Migliarese? Sambo Master of Sport and a BJJ black belt. They didn't train Yoga to learn a martial art. They trained it for the other benefits.

If you tell someone who is looking for a martial art to go learn yoga, then you are worse then the Mcdojo teachers.
    Of course yoga is shittier for self defense than even the worst mcdojo, but when the OP moves his ass to a place were he can start training, it will certainly prepare him to learn faster and get better quicker.

Before I mustered the balls to quit my old krotty dojo, I knew I wasn't getting the training I needed, so I kinda subconsciously worked out like a maniac, took ballet and yoga and whatnot. It didn't give any real self defense application, but now that I'm at a real gym I feel I learn much much faster than I would normally if I hadn't done some cross training prior. And my stamina, strength, and flexibility is all light years better than the average joe-shmoe coming in.

There's something to be said for preparing yourself to learn if you can't access legitimate training right away.

BJJ wins again!

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    1/25/2010 1:24am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theword View Post
    Just order a Tapout shirt online and have it delivered to your house. It's the fastest, cheapest way to train UFC.
    Why can't the rest of you be helpful like this? I also have a full beard I plan to shave down to a goatee.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    1/25/2010 4:17am

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well it depends what you mean by there are no places "around"

I used to take a 2,5 hour road to train for 1 hour. (5 hours of trip total)

I even remember finding a friend and watching bjj videos and trying to do the moves and stuff. Yes it s not the best option available, but if you really want to train it and cannot find anything it's better than nothing i guess.
    And the stuff I learnt from videos helped me alot when I found a real gym.I adapted real quick.
    To be honest, I also know more than one people who started grappling this way.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/02/2010 7:11pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamSP View Post
    I'm kinda in the same boat, as I might be moving to VT real soon, and I think there's like one boxing gym a half hour drive away, with mma and judo being an hour.
    Where in Vermont will you be? I'm in Montpelier and I might know of more options for you...

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    2/02/2010 9:21pm

Style: Isshin-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joz View Post
    Where in Vermont will you be? I'm in Montpelier and I might know of more options for you...
    Brattleboro: a great town, but there's not very many places to train that have websites nearby.
    If you know of anything good though, please, I would love some solid training.

I may move out there in july.

Featherweight

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    2/03/2010 1:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well depending on how old you are (say under 20) you could go train with you high school wrestling team. I know it might be awkward if your already graduated but its better than nothing. If you have any universities near you check those out. They will generally at least have a wrestling club/team there that they'll allow you to roll with and some even have karate,boxing clubs, etc. You could also check with a wrestling coach on other wrestling clubs nearby. Sorry I keep bringing up wrestling but I just got done with a little quest for a good wrestling school.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    2/03/2010 7:56pm

Style: Getting less fat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by George-Jitsu View Post
    What advice do you all have for someone that has no options as far as a good school to train at? Are there other alternatives out there for someone that wants to get good training but either lives too far from any good schools or simply cannot afford it?
    Where do you live? I live in central Maine. Some dojo's that actually spar, a bjj place not too far away, two boxing gym's, an mma place, and some wrestling at the high school level. And I live in the sticks.

If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. I am in the same boat right now. If that is the case, get in great shape. You can do that at home, and it will help you a bunch when you can afford a place to train.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast