Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, if you can't find MMA training, BJJ or Judo, then surely your area has a strong ballet program.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn View Post
    Yes, if you can't find MMA training, BJJ or Judo, then surely your area has a strong ballet program.
    On an aside, a nice thing about ballet is that some studios will let teach little boys for FREE!

However, even though an area lacks quality martial arts, they would probably have a yoga or pilates class somewhere. That might be the OP's best bet, combined with a gym membership.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing around you? Get a gun and go to a shooting range for self defense. Run and jog for cardio.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to be sarcastic. But I live in the little town where I grew up. The schools don't have wrestling, there's no judo, and I get tired of chipper, cheerful people chiming in "Judo is cheap and widely available! If you can't find BJJ, try Krav Maga or possibly Muay Boran!"

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn View Post
    Sorry to be sarcastic. But I live in the little town where I grew up. The schools don't have wrestling, there's no judo, and I get tired of chipper, cheerful people chiming in "Judo is cheap and widely available! If you can't find BJJ, try Krav Maga or possibly Muay Boran!"
    I can understand the lack of martial arts, but does your town have yoga? I would have thought that some local gym would have added a yoga class to try and rake in some money.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try to find some seminars to go to. They are usually inexpensive and you can get some usefull information from them.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're a little boy, volunteer for the Catholic choir. You'll get good training defending yourself from the priests.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." – Voltaire.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yoga?

Yeah, that way you can learn to put yourself into a pretzel and hold it for 5 minutes while someone steals your wallet. Good call!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get strong and big, makes you a harder target and work on your body language. Sounds weird but that can get you out of a lot of situations with some uncommon sense.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke View Post
    Yoga?

Yeah, that way you can learn to put yourself into a pretzel and hold it for 5 minutes while someone steals your wallet. Good call!
    I would be interested to see if there is a grappling instructor out there who has experience in yoga and doesn't recommend cross-training in it if you have the time and inclination.

Seriously, i've heard glowing recommendations from several amazing trainers, Sambosteve being at the top of the list.

Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last