Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 3:07am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post

More specifically, explain how something like the Second International can create democratic institutions that were in place well before it was formed?
    The development of liberal democracy in Western Europe is very closely linked to the rise of the labour movement and social democratic political parties. Parliamentary institutions with limited enfranchisement existed in some countries prior to that, but the expansion of voting rights to the majority population was largely driven by labour and social democratic movements in England, Germany, etc. Same goes for a lot of other basic social rights we take for granted now - weekends, restrictions on child labour, universal public education, etc.

The North American context is a bit different though - labour and social democratic movements played a role, but didn't necessarily lead those struggles to the same extent as in Europe.

BTW, for those interested, the 'father of public healthcare' in Canada was a social democrat who was an amateur boxer when he was young: http://www.cbc.ca/greatest/top_ten/n...las-tommy.html

Oh, and to return to the topic at hand, Brock Lesnar is a closet-case roidtard whose fights bore me to sleep. I wish our healthcare system actually had killed him, or at least fucked up his digestive tract enough that he'd be stuck at home shitting into a colostomy bag for the rest of his life rather than once again ruining otherwise decent fight cards.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 1:30pm

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DJR View Post
    ...blah blah blah blah ....

Oh, and to return to the topic at hand, Brock Lesnar is a closet-case roidtard whose fights bore me to sleep. I wish our healthcare system actually had killed him, or at least fucked up his digestive tract enough that he'd be stuck at home shitting into a colostomy bag for the rest of his life rather than once again ruining otherwise decent fight cards.
    Sounds like Trollshido comments. Hard to say who "loses" the thread. These comments should be in Sheerdog or Trollshido or wherever the garbage can of the site is. The OP should be banned from posting anywhere except for Martial Arts in the News. All the political philosophy stuff should go to Sociocide. phail to an otherwise incredibly stupid thread.

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 1:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    EDIT: Never mind. Not touching this with a ten foot pole.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 9:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The development of liberal democracy in Western Europe is very closely linked to the rise of the labour movement and social democratic political parties. Parliamentary institutions with limited enfranchisement existed in some countries prior to that, but the expansion of voting rights to the majority population was largely driven by labour and social democratic movements in England, Germany, etc.
    You don't see the problem with including Germany in that list?

And expanding franchise is at least somewhat relevant to the structure democratic institutions (good luck pinning the Civil War, women's suffrage, or the Marshall plan on Marx), but everything else you've listed...

Same goes for a lot of other basic social rights we take for granted now - weekends, restrictions on child labour, universal public education, etc.
    ... is wholly irrelevant.

The North American context is a bit different though - labour and social democratic movements played a role, but didn't necessarily lead those struggles to the same extent as in Europe.
    No ****!

BTW, for those interested, the 'father of public healthcare' in Canada was a social democrat who was an amateur boxer when he was young: http://www.cbc.ca/greatest/top_ten/n...las-tommy.html
    Tommy Douglas' career in federal politics was a footnote. You've got Canada in your location field - you should know better than this.

Fucking brilliant, this. Yeah, let's see his career end as the undisputed titleholder rather than actually having someone take it from him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 10:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't see the problem with including Germany in that list?
    Nope - social democrats drove democratization in Germany from the 1800s until the Nazis and conservative dupes abolished it in the 1930s.

Tommy Douglas' career in federal politics was a footnote. You've got Canada in your location field - you should know better than this.
    You live in Saskatchewan - you should know that the introduction of medicare by Douglas's CCF government provided political momentum and the institutional template for public healthcare nationally.

Yeah, let's see his career end as the undisputed titleholder rather than actually having someone take it from him.
    I honestly don't care one way or another.

Sounds like Trollshido comments. Hard to say who "loses" the thread. These comments should be in Sheerdog or Trollshido or wherever the garbage can of the site is. The OP should be banned from posting anywhere except for Martial Arts in the News. All the political philosophy stuff should go to Sociocide.
    Fine by me.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 10:22pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nope - social democrats drove democratization in Germany from the 1800s until the Nazis and conservative dupes abolished it in the 1930s.
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebeams View Post
    Most democracies owe their current structures
    (emphasis mine)

You live in Saskatchewan - you should know that the introduction of medicare by Douglas's CCF government provided political momentum and the institutional template for public healthcare nationally.
    Sure, and health care is policy, not structure. Douglas and the NDP haven't done **** federally.

I honestly don't care one way or another.
    Then whatever possessed you to post in this thread?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 10:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Then whatever possessed you to post in this thread?
    Boredom from being stuck at home with bronchitis, and there's nothing good on TV.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 10:52pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boredom from being stuck at home with bronchitis, and there's nothing good on TV.
    Get well soon. I just got a new set of Rock Band drums, so I don't even have an excuse.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 11:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get well soon. I just got a new set of Rock Band drums, so I don't even have an excuse.
    I don't think you need an excuse for being inside on the internetz when it's minus 25 celsius or whatever the temperature is in SK right now. There's only so much Rock Band you can do in a day, and you've got to fill up the rest of the time somehow. On the west coast, we basically stop leaving the house if it gets below -5.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345