Recommendation Second Class1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 4:30pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Amateur MMA License fees

I have a concern,

For some stupid reason, commissions ask people to buy $20-40 per state, per year for amateurs to fight. Amateurs do not get paid, nor have any of the shows I've been fighting in/cornering covered the license fees. Promoters make ton of money of these amateur shows without paying their fighters (though some actually do pay the hotel & Gas fees they promised. ). This is upsetting and ridiculous. Who the hell decided this. It's an atrocity, and should be stopped.

I mean, come on.

I am a living legend!

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 4:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait, what? Who asks for licenses?

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 5:13pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    California Amateur MMA Promoters must pay these fees:

$500 annual License
    $1250 per show for a venue with 500 or less seating capasity
    $2500 per show for a venue with over 500 seating capastiy
    5% of the gate
    $350 for a referee
    $150 for an inspector
    $??? for three judges
    $??? for a Doctor
    $??? for a parametic and Ambulance
    Around $700 plus for $25,000 tempary medical coverage
    Around $500 for liability insurance
    Give up broacast rights for their event.

Fighters pay:
    $125 for an annual license
    $125 to $200 for a physical and blood work
    Must Compete with a specific vender's rashguard and gloves

The Worst part is that all the fees go to a private company that was granted Sole sanctioning rights and the State gets nothing.
    Referees, Inspectors, Matchmakers, cornermen and Judges must also pay annual licenseing fees to this corperation.

Future plans will mandate that all California Fighters go through this orgainzation before being allowed to obtain a professional license from the State Commission.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/22/2010 12:08pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So California is even more insane about it?

I fight in Ohio and Kentucky, so I arbitrarily need to pay $20 for a fighters license, then $20 to corner in both states. Each is valid for a year, though Kentucky's ends on dec 31st regardless.

Apparently, the money goes to the state commission, (of which KY probably has the worst, terribly unclear rules meetings, forgot to set the timer for the first round etc. My friend had a 7 minute first round as opposed to 3)

The point is however, these promoters make a ton of money from this; why can't they pay their fighter's license fee. If a promoter has 10 fighters on the card, that's 20 fighters that' $400 tops. It is ridiculous that they funnel these costs over to the people who provide them the opportunity to put on a show for no compensation but the promise of gas & hotel money.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/22/2010 7:40pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I end up paying for my own bloodwork every here in Oregon, last year was $109, year before was like $85 but I went to my own doc. But that's it, no other fees until pro. At pro there's the license, if you leave the state to fight you'll have new bloodwork too. I think most make the promoters pay the fees as part of showing up.

When did Cali get ammy MMA? I remember they used to only have pro, the ammy guys would hit Oregon/Nevada for their pre-pro fights.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/23/2010 12:13pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DSL View Post
    I end up paying for my own bloodwork every here in Oregon, last year was $109, year before was like $85 but I went to my own doc. But that's it, no other fees until pro. At pro there's the license, if you leave the state to fight you'll have new bloodwork too. I think most make the promoters pay the fees as part of showing up.

When did Cali get ammy MMA? I remember they used to only have pro, the ammy guys would hit Oregon/Nevada for their pre-pro fights.
    Amateur MMA just started in California. The California Commission granted CAMO (formally known as Elite XC) the sole rights to regulate and collect fees for Amateur MMA. This is legal as they grant USA Boxing and Golden Gloves of America the right to regulate Amateur Boxing. The main difference is the afore mentioned regulate an Olympic Sport and do not charge excessive fees to athletes and promoters.