Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 2:57pm

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

K1 in america, how does it work?

I would think there would be some old threads about this, but I couldn't find any.

Do any of you guys have any experience with k-1 events?

What would it take to get involved in it?

The wikipedia page says events are not sanctioned in the majority of U.S. states, is this true?

Any info would be helpful.

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Posted On:
    1/22/2010 2:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vladimir Borodin (my coach when I was training muay thai) trained and managed Micheal McDonald whom I believe won K-1 US GP multiple times.

Kickboxing and Thai boxing is funny in the US. There are certain organizations that allow full rules, others do K-1 rules, modified karate rules or fucked 80's kick boxing with no leg kicks or clinching.

As far as what it takes to get into a K-1 event? You need to be an A class striker. San Shou/San Da, Muay thai and knock down karate fighters usually do well. As long as you don't rely on clinch striking you shouldn't have any problems (fucking butchered clinch game *rabble rabble*).

Also, STAMINA! ENDURANCE! CARDIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Seriously, they love throwing out that fucking "EXTRA ROUND!" bullshit no matter what. So yeah, you'd need to dedicate at least a year of intense boxing and kick boxing to win a tourney or a super fight. And that's only if you really have a solid base and large amount of experience competing and training.

Posted On:
    1/22/2010 8:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in the way early phase. I just want to know where the road starts. I had two ammy fights with USKBA (80s kickboxing) 10 years ago, I'm wondering if I should try to find an event with them, or try some other org.

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 2:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    K-1 has done a few events here in NY but the guys that compete are beasts. Like I means they're little bit below A class fighters. Basically if they went pro and trained 24/7, they'd be on top of the game.

Ask your self this: How good is my boxing? How good is my conditioning? How is my flexibility? Do I have the reflexes and timing? Will my experience measure up?

Basically you need a massive amount of cardio and sparring.

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 6:42am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try some modified Muay Thai fights first and see how you shape up. Many fighters will agree to K-1 rules too if you let them know well before the fight.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 12:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree Sang. The hard part for me is finding a good promoter locally. Can you guys tell me what things to look out for when doing that?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2010 12:00am

Style: Judo-Brown

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Micheal McDonald was a monster.

I got to see him fight a few times when K1 was in Vegas.

Btw i thought K1 WAS the highest level kickboxing event in America. No?

Posted On:
    1/28/2010 12:33am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Larson View Post
    I agree Sang. The hard part for me is finding a good promoter locally. Can you guys tell me what things to look out for when doing that?
    Check local forums for reputable amateur events and start ringing numbers. You'll most likely have to travel for many fights, half of mine have been a flight away. Over here the promoter will pay for flights and accommodation but you might have to build a relationship with your own promoters before they start offering that.

I bet people here can offer a few reputable U.S. promotion names for you to call up. Be very up front about how many fights you've had and how long its been since you've fought, your weight and preferred ruleset and they should try and match you.

Only problem i can see happening if you go in blind is that you get put up as a can for one of the local up and comer fighters who outweighs you in experience. But if you have k-1 aspirations tough fights are going to find you regardless :P.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon