Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 2:36am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thatrugbyguy View Post
    He said that martial arts doesn't involve hitting someone while they are down and implied that a MMA fighter who employs GNP is not a respectful person. Both of those statements are extremely stupid, demonstrably counter-factual, and in the case of the latter, disrespectful itself.

And yes, he does say that MMA matches that take place in a cage are "too violent".

Alot of people around Jackie's age still believe this! many of them thinking MMA is just some random street brawling

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 2:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsukyomi View Post
    Alot of people around Jackie's age still believe this! many of them thinking MMA is just some WWE unskilled fighting

Shut up.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 2:39am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    Shut up.
    NO u!... Wanna kow what happens when people tell me to shut up? of course not! ( I hope you dont see this)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 3:48am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    according to jackie chan mma is not fighting :)
    What is mma if it is not fighting?

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 8:25am

Style: Regretfully, TKD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thatrugbyguy View Post
    I dunno, if he wore one of those jap school girls outfits I might like that.
    What about a Chun Li outfit?
    YouTube- Jackie Chan is Chun Li

Side Note: The guy he's fighting in the clip is Bryan Fury in the upcoming Tekken film.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 9:06am

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off View Post
    Not too surprising.

The massive irony, of course, is that in forcing a fighter to defend themselves immediately after being knocked down, more fights are likely to be stopped more quickly in MMA, thus protecting fighters better. If you have 10 free seconds to recover yourself and stand back up, you can survive much harder shots and stand up to take even more full powered strikes again.

After watching MMA for years, certain boxing matches just look fucking brutal. A man too badly rocked to adequately defend himself but with just enough balance to stay upright while the other guy tees off on his face, and the referee won't stop it...screaming "double leg! double leg!" at the TV isn't always for irony's sake.
    I'll agree with this strongly. To me it almost seems like if Mensur is little more than ritualized scar application then professional boxing is ritualized brain damage exchange.

And even that puts it a cut above the WCL.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 10:31am

Style: Judo Crash Test Dummy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wait, do you mean to tell me that non of you ever found watching GnP uncomfortable? I get all the arguments for including it. I can't honestly think of one MMA bout that should have been stopped sooner than it was (contrast with boxing..) but that doesn't change the fact that watching a fight end by GnP wasn't a bit shocking first time I saw it. I could be remembering this all wrong, but I'm sure I've seen (Pride?) fights where they stomp on the guy's head if he goes down. Nasty. GnP goes against the 'gentlemans' (or playground!) fight rules that I grew up with. Am I really such an old fart (32) that this just doesn't carry water any more?

Before anyone jumps in my **** about this post, I'm not questioning any MMA rule set, or saying that it is more unsafe than boxing, I'm just expressing surprise that many of you associate JC's unease with MMA as a generational thing. I would expect most people without any understanding of the sport to react the same way no matter what their age. And as a few folk have commented, stir in a chav-tastic brand image and you're really up against it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 10:47am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As someone who's a big fan of MMA, I respect Jackie's opinion and can understand how watching a sanctioned sport where someone gets punched on the ground would be disturbing for him. Still, I am kind of disappointed he doesn't like it but then again neither do my parents or many of my friends and least he was civil and respectable in his comments.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 11:11am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all, Jackie Chan just said some stuff that I'd normally make fun of someone for saying. But he's Jackie Chan, so he gets a pass.

Second, I do think the cage is safer than a ring for MMA, but let's not pretend it wasn't designed at least partially for dramatic, ominous effect. The original UFC promoted it as the platform they used because it would have been too expensive to license the Thunderdome. I agree that it's dumb, but they did it themselves . . . and after all, if they hadn't, MMA might never have taken hold in the U.S.

Third, the "new" UFC likes to send Dana White out to say that weight classes and sanctioning mean it's just another sport now . . . . but if you watch a UFC event on television you watch a gladiator putting on his armor and walking into an arena to the strains of an over-wrought choir. They're not really trying to discourage the impression Chan's talking about.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 5:46pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Considering he actually took up Judo and Boxing after his years at the Peking Opera school, it's a shame he never took up BJJ, it would've been pretty cool to see him mix his signature acrobatic moves with grappling.
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast