Our Sponsors:

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142021222324 25262728 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/24/2012 4:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oni-kage View Post
    Your right I havent done my homework on said issue id like to appologize for that,but hitting a man while hes down is still not respected in my book
    Yes, you probably missed homework in elementary school too, and look where are you now. Ignorant, illiterate idiot.

Why is it not respectful? Please, use your twisted logic to explain your shitty opinion.

:)

Posted On:
    12/24/2012 5:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm curious where he got this notion.

It IS hard to defend from the bottom without training for it, which is why it's important for a martial artist to consider, and confront.

If you skip forward on ur ninjer DVDs, there's probably a section on it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/24/2012 5:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    but hitting a man while hes down is still not respected in my book
    Why? Most fighters nowadays train to fight off their backs. Your notion of "honor" might've made sense in the schoolyard, where a dude would be helpless if he had some big guy sitting on his chest and wailing on him. But if you're talking about mixed martial artists, high-level athletes who both train jiu-jitsu and know how to take a punch, that rule just seems arbitrary.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/24/2012 5:47pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Why? Most fighters nowadays train to fight off their backs. Your notion of "honor" might've made sense in the schoolyard, where a dude would be helpless if he had some big guy sitting on his chest and wailing on him. But if you're talking about mixed martial artists, high-level athletes who both train jiu-jitsu and know how to take a punch, that rule just seems arbitrary.
    Nowadays? You mean NOWADAYS more martial artists fight from their back EFFECTIVELY.

You've seen all the GnP from crazy TMAs for decades.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/24/2012 6:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Nowadays? You mean NOWADAYS more martial artists fight from their back EFFECTIVELY.
    Yeah, that's what I meant.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/24/2012 8:07pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mybad im from brooklyn ive talked like that since 5,not racist at all just a lil ghetto
    I spoke like an imbecile when I was five also. Maybe not as poorly as you, but very unrefined. I was better when I was six, and now, I am practically fluent.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/24/2012 8:50pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your right I havent done my homework on said issue id like to appologize for that,but hitting a man while hes down is still not respected in my book
    Now this is what you call an opinion. We can't argue this. You are entitled to this opinion. I don't agree with it but that's why they call it an opinion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2012 11:34pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look, Oni-kage, in my neighborhood when I was growing up, hitting a man when he was down was not acceptable. It wasn't something a "real man" or even a "real boy" would do. You know what else was just as bad? Kicking a guy during a fight. Kicking was for girls. If you tried to kick a guy during a fight, you were a "coward," a "sissy," a "fem," and other more offensive things. We were vaguely aware that foreigners kicked guys, but that was because they weren't real men (in our parochial, ignorant perspective). We had a set of rules by which we fought based on our naive, narrow-minded concept of what real men did, mostly drawn from TV and from our fathers.

My point is, what is and isn't respectable or honorable in a fight depends a great deal on context. In a boxing match, it would be dishonorable, not respectable, to try to kick a guy. In a kick-boxing match, it would be dishonorable to strike a downed opponent. In an MMA match, it would be dishonorable to go for an eye gouge.

There was a popular kind of no-holds-barred fighting in the rural Southern US in the 18th and early 19th century, called "rough-and-tumbling" among other names, in which trying to gouge out the opponent's eye was a standard tactic. In this kind of a match, eye-gouging wasn't considered dishonorable.

http://jmanly.ejmas.com/articles/200..._gorn_0401.htm (This is an article on the subject, originally printed in the American Historical Review)

One can argue that some or all forms of combat sports are too violent or dangerous or whatever to be permitted on moral grounds (as people have against all the sports mentioned here), but the idea that there is a code of honor for fighting other than "don't fight outside the rule-set when you are in a fight with agreed-upon rules" is what I think people are finding mysterious and unjustified in your position.

Posted On:
    12/24/2012 11:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWepner View Post
    "don't fight outside the rule-set when you are in a fight with agreed-upon rules"
    Bingo we have a winner.

Posted On:
    12/24/2012 11:57pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't worry, I am under the impression that any violent criminals that might be assaulting you also hold your morals about not hitting you while you're on the ground. So you're safe. Keep training nincompoop. NINPO, damn you autocorrect (your accuracy is amazing).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142021222324 25262728 ... LastLast