Sponsored Links Spacer Image

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 3:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    boards.ie got KO'd this morning, so you can't see this, but the seminar he's giving in Ireland is on tomorrow and the first notice they put up was on Wednesday (I think).

I don't know how significant that is, but maybe they couldn't get enough numbers from their own org to make the seminar worthwhile, so they changed the description to bring in a wider audience.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 4:54pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, I got a response back from Mr. Fitzpatrick. First, forgive the spelling errors, he sent it from his blackberry, so I don't hold them against him. I'll post the original text he sent and then clean it up some.

Here is my original email:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    Mr. Fitzpatrick,
    First I'd like to thank you in advance for your time. I was looking at your website and was a little confused about your Brazilian Jiu Jitsu ranking. You list it under your 2nd Degree BB in Judo, but it's not specified as to whether that is a 2nd Degree BB as well. Do you have a 2nd degree BB in both Judo and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu? If so what association/instructor is your black belt with? If not, what is your correct rank in BJJ?

Also, I tried to send am email using the "Contact Us" form on your website, but it failed with an "unauthorized" error. Someone might want to look at that.

Thanks again for your time!
    Josh W.
    And here is his response:

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Fitzpatrick
    Hi josh,first of all thanks for taking the time to email me,sorry about the web site,it is a new site and we are ironing out little probs.I am looking forward to coming over and sharing what I have learnt over my time in the martial arts started training in 1976 in judo eventually achieving the rank of 2 nd Dan started training in tradition japanese ju jitsu in 1980 with the mcdade s of mead way ju jitsu,and then moving on to go shin ju jitsu with prof nick characters 7 dan,eventually achieving my 5 dan with dental association under hanshi hobbs and master steve chain my brazilian jig jitsu qualifications ,I trained with sensei jose barbs a portuguese guy who taught me the art for 13 years trained at his house no his or belts just start rolling and applying different techs,I start to take this back to my dojo and submitting other students and higher grade and then my sensei ask me where I was learning this because he knew it was not judo and said it looked like gracie ju jitsu and show me a may with rick son in it,this was start for me 1987 and when I went back to train I talked about to sensei jose and he said he trained in brazil with the gracious someone is not on the net it does not mean he never was a jig jitsu sensei ,after my years of training my sensei one day just give me black belt and said you are now a complete ju jitsu man now,please come and train with us ,I would love to have a chat with you and yours friends and hope to have a beer after the seminary thanks Shah jason fitzpatrick
    Ok, now my cleaned up version:

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Fitzpatrick Editted
    Hi Josh,
    First of all thanks for taking the time to email me,sorry about the web site,it is a new site and we are ironing out little probs.I am looking forward to coming over and sharing what I have learnt over my time in the martial arts. Started training in 1976 in judo eventually achieving the rank of 2nd Dan, started training in Traditional Japanese Ju Jitsu in 1980 with the McDades of Mead Way ju jitsu,and then moving on to Goshin ju jitsu with prof Nick Characters 7 Dan, eventually achieving my 5 dan with Dentokan Association under Hanshi Hobbs and Master Steve Chain.
    My Brazilian Jiu Jitsu qualifications ,I trained with Sensei Jose Barbados a Portuguese guy who taught me the art for 13 years trained at his house. No Gis or belts just start rolling and applying different techs. I started taking this back to my dojo and submitting other students and higher grades and then my sensei asked me where I was learning this because he knew it was not Judo and said it looked like gracie jiu jitsu and showed me a match with Rickson in it. This was in 1987 and when I went back to train I talked about it to Sensei Jose and he said he trained in brazil with the Gracies. Someone is not on the net it does not mean he never was a Jiu Jitsu sensei, after my years of training my sensei (Jose?) one day just give me black belt and said you are now a complete ju jitsu man. Now, please come and train with us ,I would love to have a chat with you and your friends and hope to have a beer after the seminar.
    Thanks,
    Shihan Jason Fitzpatrick
    A quick look around gives me this for Hanshi Hobbs, this for Dentokan. I'm still unable to find anything about Jose Barbados training under any of the Gracies. Anyone else have any ideas how we might verify Mr. Barbados' information since he is conveniently deceased?

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 5:04pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    I'm still unable to find anything about Jose Barbados training under any of the Gracies. Anyone else have any ideas how we might verify Mr. Barbados' information since he is conveniently deceased?
    Quick note: It should be 'Jose Barbosa' (spelling found on various pages).

As jnp pointed out, the bjj.org archive did not have any mention of him. I can't find any reference to him anywhere outside of Jason's mentions. It was mentioned above that there is a Judo reference, but nothing in terms of BJJ. A 6th degree BB in BJJ would be mentioned somewhere, anywhere.

Does Jason know who Mr Barbosa got his BB from? Did the Gracies rank him?

Jason may be in the strange situation in which his instructor was not certified to hand out a black belt in BJJ but Jason was unaware of this.

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 5:38pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think he actually stated that Mr. Barbosa (My bad on that one), was a 6th degree in BJJ. I think that reference was to his Traditional JJ instructor or the Goshin instructor.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 7:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish I was just handed a BJJ black belt from some random guy for learning some techniques and tapping out some judo and "ju jitsu" guys...

Then I could be famous on MABS just like this! Yippeeeee

:seppuku:
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 8:58pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post
    Jason may be in the strange situation in which his instructor was not certified to hand out a black belt in BJJ but Jason was unaware of this.
    While this scenario is certainly possible, from an outsider's perspective, it seems a tad convenient that Mr. Barbados is deceased.

Logically, it would seem prudent to try to find other students of Mr. Barbados so that they might independently verify Mr. Fitzpatrick's claims.

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 9:00pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or to at least find Mr. Barbados instructor, which I've been unable to do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2010 1:00am

Style: Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    1/22/2010 9:39am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This smells like Matt Morton all over again.

As for Goshin Jiu Jitsu, is that very similar to the self-defence Kata in Kodokan Judo?

EDIT: Found a Video of Goshin JJ at work.
    LARPASTIC!!!
    YouTube- Goshin Jujitsu self-defense techniques

And here is the Goshin Jitsu No Kata.

YouTube- KODOKAN GOSHIN JUTSU NO KATA
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    1/22/2010 9:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @DarkPhoenix

Goshin Ju Jutsu just means "Self-Defense" Ju Jutsu.
    in Korea it's Hoshin Sul.

The schoolname or style in front of the Goshin Ju Jutsu is the important part.
    example: Kodokan Goshin Ju Jutsu or Takeda-Ryu Goshin Ju Jutsu.

In the best case it's an equivalent of (sport)-Ju Jutsu without the competition. In the worst case it are some one-two- or three steps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast