Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/15/2010 12:55am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Poor etiquette at the gun range

I consider myself a relative newb when it comes to guns and gun related skills.
    This weekend I took my 9 year old daughter and 27 year old buddy to shoot for the first time (along with a couple other more experienced guys) at the local gun range. All in all things went well my daughter shot her first .22 rifle and my friend shot everything me and the other guys had ranging from semi auto rifles to pistols and shotguns.

Being my second time at this range I opted to read the rules and regulations of the range a second time even though I wasn't required too do so. My friends who have more experience shooting than myself were also required to read the rules of the range and sign off.

This particular range stated that when the range was "cold" no one was aloud to cross a/"the" red line and appraoch their loaded weapons and shooting area. So my story continues...after the range was declared "cold" me and a friend went out and switched out our targets for some new ones, shortly thereafter a group of military guys approached the bench and proceeded to load up an handle their weapons while another guy i'll who just entered the range i'll call "extreme gun newb" was still trying to set up his targets. This guy tried to use our targets after a friend had to tell him the target clearly marked for our lane belonged to us. Extreme gun newb had friends who freely crossed the red line and were load up several weapons while their extreme newb buddy tried to loacte his desgnated target

Posted On:
    2/15/2010 1:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Poor etiquette at the gun range

I consider myself a relative newb when it comes to guns and gun related skills.

This weekend I took my 9 year old daughter and a 27 year old buddy of mine to shoot for the first time (along with a couple other more experienced friends) at the local gun range. All in all things went well, my daughter shot her first .22 rifle and my friend shot everything me and the other guys had ranging from semi auto rifles to pistols and shotguns.

Being my second time at this particular range I opted to read the rules and regulations of the range a second time even though I wasn't required too do so. My friends who have more experience shooting than myself were required to read the rules of the range because this was their first time there.

This particular outdoor range stated that when the range was "cold" no one was aloud to cross a/"the" red line and appraoch their loaded weapons and shooting area. So my story continues...after the range was declared "cold" me and a friend quickly went out and switched our targets for some new ones, shortly thereafter a group of military guys crossed the red line and approached their bench and proceeded to load up and handle weapons while another guy who i'll call "extreme gun newb" was still trying to set up his targets. This guy (extreme gun newb) tried to use our targets but a friend had to tell him the target clearly marked for our lane belonged to us. The military guys who were loading up their guns also had to tell extreme gun newb not to mess with their targets. Extreme gun newb had friends who freely crossed the red line and were loading up several weapons while their extreme newb buddy tried to locate his designated target. Clearly everyone at the pistol range was looking antsy. The military guys and the seperate group of gun newb's buddies were loading up and openly handling weapons while "extreme gun newb" was out there setting up a target. I didn't feel compelled to say anything after all me and my group were clearly safe behind the marked red line. Eventually a nice older guy next to us declared "no one is supposed to cross the red line while the range is cold". The military guys immediately fell back respectfully, and "extreme gun newb's" buddies followed behind. The older guy stated "some people just scare me" aloud to no one in particular. Me and my group shot a few more rounds and left the range.

I'm just curious if anyone more experienced here has any similiar stories? Do people at gun ranges commonly ignore the rules? How do you handle it?

Both the military guys who I really expected better from, and the extreme gun newb guys most likely read the rules but didn't follow them. I'm glad an older guy there said something. I really feel if me or one of my younger friends said something it would have been a bigger issue involving pride. Are there any other unspoken rules involving gun range etiquette I should know? I'd hate to look as stupid as the guys in my example.

On a side note, what do you do when your gun sends ejecting shells into the shooting stall next door? Other guys seemed to ignore us and shower us with their shells. Didn't bother me too much. 1 out of every 15 or so would hit me but not really a big deal how I saw it. Still I don't want to be a dick to others. What do you guys do?
    Last edited by jspeedy; 2/15/2010 1:24am at .

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    2/15/2010 2:25am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What you experienced isn't exclusive to the gun range. Often people the most experience are the ones that knowingly and willingly violate the rules, because they feel that those rules are for "extreme gun newbs" and no longer apply to them.

While it may have been frustrating to "miltary guy" and "extreme gun newbs" buddies that EGN was holding up the show but that is no excuse for not following the rules.

As far as what I would have done, clearly if you think someone is in danger you should say something. Obviously if it was your little girl out on the range instead of EGN you would have spoken up. If I was afraid someone might have taken it the wrong way, I'd say something to who works for the range and let them handle it. If for some reason that's not possible, I'd approach the violators in a non-confrontational way like saying "Hey guys, that guy out on the range might be getting a little nervous with you getting ready to shoot while he's still out there".

Infidel

Posted On:
    2/15/2010 3:03am

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gun ranges are weird.
    Despite carrying a loaded and readied pistol (not to mention having used) on close to half a dozen deployments overseas my handgun club will not allow me to wear a holster at my range until I take an $800 (+ 500 rounds of ammunition) " course "

Some rules should be followed regardless.
    Some rules are designed for newb gun retards which are a waste of time to the rest of us that can handle a weapon-yet are still a part of the range.
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2010 4:49am

Style: Kendo, Iaido, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Both the military guys who I really expected better from, and the extreme gun newb guys most likely read the rules but didn't follow them. I'm glad an older guy there said something. I really feel if me or one of my younger friends said something it would have been a bigger issue involving pride. Are there any other unspoken rules involving gun range etiquette I should know? I'd hate to look as stupid as the guys in my example.
    As punisher said, the most important rule I've heard after treat everything like it's loaded is that if you see something wrong, you stop it. I understand that a group of loud guys with guns is a pretty intimidating sight, but part of the responsibility of gun ownership is making sure you don't have a hand in ruining it for everyone else.

On a side note, what do you do when your gun sends ejecting shells into the shooting stall next door? Other guys seemed to ignore us and shower us with their shells. Didn't bother me too much. 1 out of every 15 or so would hit me but not really a big deal how I saw it. Still I don't want to be a dick to others. What do you guys do?
    Not really a problem with me as most of the weapons I shoot are bolt action rifles (because someone ruined it for the rest of us) however in the past I've simply attempted to adjust my position. All you really have to worry about are shells near exposed skin, so moving back a few inches will more than likely prevent major burns

Posted On:
    2/15/2010 3:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies. Sorry about the double post I just now noticed it.
    I definately would have said something to the guys at the range if I felt unsafe at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 9:57am

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some great replies so far. I will just say this, as a RSO, I do not tolerate any crap like you described. I will kick people out and have them lose all rights to the use of the range. Many think this is extreme, but I will NOT allow anyone to get shot while I am running a range. As I have my own private range that I allow the local SD and PD to train at, I am just as strict with them. I have some guys I know that are also instructors and RSOs that will not go near the range wihtout a bulletproof vest on.

I have been to ranges where this type of behavior was common place. Needless to say, I don't ever go back to ranges like that.

As far as the military goes(not bashing here), but don't think they are experts because they are in the military. A great many of the guys who enter the military, have no previous experience with firearms and they get very little training while they are in. There are a great many shooters that shoot several thousand rounds in comparison to a few hundred rounds that the military guys get to shoot. Which, IMO, is a tragedy.

Posted On:
    2/18/2010 3:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And here I though "cold range" meant "cool down" every warm body in front of the firing line...

No wonder I'm 86'd from the CMP... ;p

Posted On:
    2/19/2010 12:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    Some great replies so far. I will just say this, as a RSO, I do not tolerate any crap like you described. I will kick people out and have them lose all rights to the use of the range. Many think this is extreme, but I will NOT allow anyone to get shot while I am running a range. As I have my own private range that I allow the local SD and PD to train at, I am just as strict with them. I have some guys I know that are also instructors and RSOs that will not go near the range wihtout a bulletproof vest on.

I have been to ranges where this type of behavior was common place. Needless to say, I don't ever go back to ranges like that.

As far as the military goes(not bashing here), but don't think they are experts because they are in the military. A great many of the guys who enter the military, have no previous experience with firearms and they get very little training while they are in. There are a great many shooters that shoot several thousand rounds in comparison to a few hundred rounds that the military guys get to shoot. Which, IMO, is a tragedy.
    Too bad your range isn't in Gulf Breeze, i'd feel better about shooting there. If my closest range us 45 min. to an hour from my house or i'd shoot more. But, given the past circumstances I probably wouldn't bring my daughter with me. At least after reading a few posts I don't feel so helpless in my gun newbness. I've been shooting rifles since I was 10 or so but I still don't know much about them or other guns. All I know is basic saftey and how to pint and shoot. I've learned a little about pistols and shotguns aling the way. My parents used to make a big deal about pointing toy guns at people. Needless to say i'm always aware of where my gun may be pointing.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2010 12:52am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would never go back to that range. Unless I'm misreading, there were guys sighting in while someone was changing a target. That's unbelievable. The RSO above was right, you get boots who decide they're John Wayne and act like assholes at civilian ranges all of the time. It's why active duty/vets get no special privilages at any ranges I've been to, even though some should.

I'd like to think that my previous experience as a range NCO/coach would kick in and I'd fix them, but more than likely the right thing to do is just to pack your **** up and leave. The state/county sponsored ranges are usually pretty on the level, even though their hours suck.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast