Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 5:19pm

Style: Jiu-jitsu & HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's his blog. The idiot has written books.
    http://talhoffer.blogspot.com/
    If you're serious about the study of the Historical European Martial Arts, the odds are you've heard of Hugh Knight & you hate him.

Edit: & here's a quote from his blog explaining why western martial artists shouldn't spar & using Judo/Jujutsu as an example of what he sees as the problem with sparring:

I’ve met lots of people I can’t unbalance well enough to do a hip throw just using movement on the mat and a push-pull motion of my hands, but I’ve never yet met anyone I couldn’t throw easily after first stuffing my fingers into his eyes!

So, in actuality, randori “tests” neither the techniques of the system to see if they work nor the practitioner’s ability to use those techniques because the safety rules and artificiality of the bouting rules change the nature of combat so radically.
    Last edited by SBG-ape; 1/20/2010 5:27pm at .

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 5:29pm

Style: Regretfully, TKD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, he is just another 2 d3adly freak but of the WMA variety. Hmm, I wonder if anyone from the Dog Brothers have issued a challenge yet.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 5:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SBG-ape View Post
    If you're serious about the study of the Historical European Martial Arts, the odds are you've heard of Hugh Knight & you hate him.

Edit: & here's a quote from his blog explaining why western martial artists shouldn't spar & using Judo/Jujutsu as an example of what he sees as the problem with sparring:
    Oh, FFS! It really is the same story from these idiots everywhere. Are they reading this from a script?

Who was it who first originated the myth of the d34dly eye gouge being super-effective against everything?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 5:33pm

Style: Jiu-jitsu & HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, 2 d3adly. What makes him annoying is that he can translate Medieval German & people who don't know anything about him will buy his interpretations/translations, not realizing how skewed they are.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 5:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MSR Iaido, HNIR Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SBG-ape View Post
    Looks like all martial arts have their internal politics, con-artists, and crazies. I bet it is especially true for WMA since many of the medieval/renaissance arts had to be "unearthed" in modern times.

Though not volatile, the same kind of divisions can be found in classical music, particularily with Historically Informed Performance (HIP). HIP also has it's LARPing.

But ya, I tend to shy away from anyone who deifies martial artists like Hugh here. As much as I like Risuke Otake, I wouldn't call him "the greatest swordsman of our time".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 5:47pm

Style: G-safe Krav Maga / TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jezusfuckingchrist that guy is fat! Dont get me wrong, all my friends have a beer gut and there's nothing wrong with some extra body mass, but what the ****? Show me the fucking horse that can carry this guy AND a full set of armor :D

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 5:48pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducktoes View Post
    Looks like all martial arts have their internal politics, con-artists, and crazies. I bet it is especially true for WMA since many of the medieval/renaissance arts had to be "unearthed" in modern times.
    Yes, you too can learn the ancient, hitherto-lost (until Master Foo Bar discovered it in a 1000+ year-old book and devoted OVER 25 years to its revival), graceful-but-pragmatic, brutal streetfighting art of medieval Balkan royal guard knife fighting...

etc.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 5:49pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rzero View Post
    Jezusfuckingchrist that guy is fat! Dont get me wrong, all my friends have a beer gut and there's nothing wrong with some extra body mass, but what the ****? Show me the fucking horse that can carry this guy AND a full set of armor :D
    Glad to be able to help.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 5:55pm

Style: G-safe Krav Maga / TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I salute thee.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 6:02pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know several people with aspergers, it makes social situations more difficult for them, they have issues noticing non-verbal body language. They often have no concept of social norms, i.e. the unwritten rules. However they, at least the few I know, are not stupid.

I can not condone the sisters behavior. You do not put anything up on the internet that you care about. Period. It's simply a bad idea. She had to know this or why would she have taken the time to delete the "offensive" comments.

As for the sword play, playing with a sword, without formal training, even without aspergers seems, at least to me, to be a really, really bad idea. As for obese people practicing martial arts, I'm overweight, I took up Judo to help me loose weight, so I see nothing wrong with people training to loose weight, but in order to do so you have to work, you have to sweat, and you have to fight. If you don't then you are not going to loose anything. Except maybe your pride.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast