Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 7:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sri Hanuman View Post
    Ah Mountainous... no way a centry could miss a target that big. A target that thinks it's a ninja, but insists on riding around in bulky samurai armor to the sound of asian-sounding ambient music. I just got my mojo back.
    Duct tape over cardboard, baby.

YouTube- 15-HOMEMADE SAMURAI ARMOR AND MY BEST KATANAS. MY NEW VIDEOS SHOW BOTH SUITS OF MY REAL ARMOR

How do people do this **** with a straight face? Seriously. It's completely alien to me. What the **** do these guys think that they're preparing themselves for? It's not as if they're just collecting this stuff for the fun of building a collection...
    Last edited by Larus marinus; 1/19/2010 7:34pm at .

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 7:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be truthful, I was mildly disappointed when I discovered this thread was in fact NOT about the infamous Mountainous.

Everyone has a vice - drinking, drugs, shopping, video games, something to put reality on the backburner for a while. I guess to some, that vice is LARPing. I love making halloween costumes as much as the next artfag, but still... there's a dangerous line in the sand that gets crossed where you've entered this constant state of "suspension of disbelief,"

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 7:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pezzle View Post
    To be truthful, I was mildly disappointed when I discovered this thread was in fact NOT about the infamous Mountainous.

Everyone has a vice - drinking, drugs, shopping, video games, something to put reality on the backburner for a while. I guess to some, that vice is LARPing. I love making halloween costumes as much as the next artfag, but still... there's a dangerous line in the sand that gets crossed where you've entered this constant state of "suspension of disbelief,"
    I don't know if this applies to Mountainous (I haven't watched enough of his videos) but there's this dark mindset that a lot of guys like this seem to have - it's almost an obsession with them. They collect knives and swords and various other sharp pointy things and train themselves in how to use them (in a fashion) - but from the way they talk sometimes, it's as though they're just relishing the opportunity to use them on another human being. Yaknow, they build these 'reality-based' scenarios in their heads, with all the 'what I'd do here if...'s but they sometimes seem to *want* the scenario to conclude with them gutting the bad guy with a combat knife and 'winning'...

'Pre-emptive violence in self-defence' (heh) - using lethal force as a bare minimum doesn't seem beyond some of them.

It's all rather wrong - and has the potential to go very badly wrong if one of these guys is pushed beyond their tipping point.

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 8:05pm

Style: Regretfully, TKD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it sad that I know what anime he picked up some of those moves from?

Also, did he try to style his hair after a certain anime character? Someone has to break the news that it's just one ugly mullet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 8:30pm

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    They collect knives and swords and various other sharp pointy things and train themselves in how to use them (in a fashion) - but from the way they talk sometimes, it's as though they're just relishing the opportunity to use them on another human being. Yaknow, they build these 'reality-based' scenarios in their heads, with all the 'what I'd do here if...'s but they sometimes seem to *want* the scenario to conclude with them gutting the bad guy with a combat knife and 'winning'...
    But socially acceptable if they do it in an established school...um...

This kid needs some quality guidance that he will not find on Youtube. We can only hope that he does not get sucked in to some "Ninja" organization because of his black attire.

I find videos of Mountainous et al to be more entertaining if played with the soundtrack of Xena: Warrior Princess running in the background.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 9:25pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pezzle View Post

I think the danger comes when homeboys won't ADMIT that they're LARPing. When I'm working on my ridiculous chainmail getup for the next ren faire, I acknowledge that what I'm doing is extraordinarily silly, and I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much if it weren't.

Re: the initial video, I noticed a couple things in there that were distinctively performance wushu (another form of LARPing that I love) straightsword techniques. At 1:16, he does a cross step and upward swing, while holding his other hand in a jianzhi (forefinger and middle finger extended, the default left-hand position for wushu straightsword).
    Anyway, the mixture of bad kendo with bad wushu leads me to believe that, along with the rest of his misfortunes, this kid also does XMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 11:08pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieWoopAss2 View Post
    Am I the only one who watches this video, and "Beverly Hills Ninja" comes to mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    I was thinking more "superbad"

No way. I was seriously thinking of Black Sheep orit might be Tommy Boy. "Did you eat alot of paint chips as a kid?" "Why?"

Priceless.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 11:33pm

Style: Kendo, Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I watched the OP, I felt compassion, for I saw myself. Well, for I saw myself with a mullet. And a hideous black sweatsuit outfit at least one size too small. And a goofy wooden katana. Doing stupid **** on video then posting it on the internet. Well anyways, I saw myself, and I felt compassion, for this is the exact kind of thing I would have done when I was fifteen, were I, y'know, a complete moron as well.

On the plus side, if this kid ever finds himself in a good school learning real fighting chances are he'll latch onto it as obsessively as I have, and end up a decent fighter eventually. I mean, ****, he apparently managed to learn that much from studying Rurouni Kenshin and Tai Chi jian form videos off of youtube.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 11:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    I think the danger comes when homeboys won't ADMIT that they're LARPing. When I'm working on my ridiculous chainmail getup for the next ren faire, I acknowledge that what I'm doing is extraordinarily silly, and I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much if it weren't.
    Indeed. Good way to phrase what I was trying to say, McClaw. When I put on a costume, I can get in character - but I do not BELIEVE I am him/her. I know of someone who got into fantasy LARPing, and 'became' his character so much that he had an affair and used it to justify cheating on his wife. As in "No, Abruzon (or whatever his name is) cheated on his wife, for he is chaotic neutral. I did not cheat on her." It's almost frightening and yet extremely sad at the same time.

I'm too serious in the lulz forum.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 3:19am

Style: sambo, stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Ronin View Post
    If this video was of anyone else, I'd no doubt be laughing my arse off. But all I see here is a mentally ill kid, or a young man, trying to escape reality for alittle bit by pretending his a Samurai the likes of which he's seen on TV or from a computer game.
    There is no sport in mocking him, and doing so does nothing the further the mission of Bullshido.
    He's having fun, and not hurting anyone. Lets not kick over his sandcastle, and just let him be.
    Fully agreed.

I would like to see the community go a step further though. There are people on this board who actually know "stuff" about swordfighting. Some of us here are instructors.

Why not give him some well meaning help? A few tips here and there?

Not because he will become the worlds greatest swordfighter, but because physical practice, especially in arts which need good coordination, can help fighting the effects of asperger syndrome.

/end of do-goodery

Now get back to mocking mountain ninja nerds. I need some lulz.
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast