Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 7:39am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Introducing Schwingen swiss wrestling

I searched the forum but couldn't find anything about "Schwingen" - its a swiss national sport. Watch this and you get the idea:

YouTube- Schwingen; Zuger Kantonalschwingfest 2009 in Rotkreuz

yes, there are no weight classes, thats why all the guys are that big :-P The sport seems to be known at least since the 13th century (thus wikipedia says)

The biggest tournament is the "Eidgenössisches Schwing- und Älplerfest", the winner gets a bull (thats why there are no pros).

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 11:26am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What happens if the winner doesn't want a bull?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 11:29am

Style: Christopher Hitchens-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    looks like good fun.
    i've watched a lot of clips on youtube and read about it long time ago.
    it's very similar to korean ssireum, except there is no pinning in korean ssireum.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 2:16pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    What happens if the winner doesn't want a bull?
    I think nowadays there's also the option to get money (value of the bull) instead of the animal. But de facto the winner often DOES take the bull because many "Schwinger"s do farming (at least besides their normal daytime job).

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 2:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, I was being facetious. I think it's great that those traditions are still being maintained.

I was in the Swiss Alps briefly a few months ago - amazing landscape and I can well understand how it bred some very powerful wrestlers.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 4:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems really similar to Norwegian "Pantsgrip" or however it's called that someone was posting about not too long ago.

Does anyone know if someone's done a study on wrestling styles' evolution through Eastern and Northern Europe?

One of Seattle's Bravest

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 4:20pm

Style: Cambo/jujutsu/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a semi-active group in the Seattle area. The trouble is, they have no interest in actually working with anybody outside their arena.

When I contacted them they asked me if I was Swiss. Which I am not, not even close. That was an issue since I wouldn't be able to be associated with the Swiss Club.

When I asked the guy I was speaking with if they would be interested in putting a clinic on, even after explaning that I am sensative to the plight of keeping ethnic and cultural context within ethnic wrestling styles. That I would want the clinic to include a heavy does of the cultural context, they point blank said they are not. That in effect they want to breed their own wrestlers totally from their own ranks.

Truth be told this policy is not helping them out at all. Guys move on, and the depth of their players is down to almost nothing.

Too bad it would be fun and I have a whole bunch of guys to their gigs... which currently it doesn't seem they have enough for.

Too bad, oh well the African guys in the area are interested, as are the sumo, etc. etc.

Aaron Fields

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 7:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is the Seattle group associated with these guys - http://www.chinookobserver.com/print...ubSectionID=25 ?

It's always kind of a shame when this sort of thing gets "too exclusive", but I guess it's their club and they set the rules. OTOH there's nothing to stop anyone else from setting up an unrelated "Traditional Freestyle Belt/Trouser Wrestling League" or whatever; it looks like a pretty straightforward style that a bunch of sumotori/judoka/etc. would have no trouble figuring out for themselves.