Sponsored Links Spacer Image

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 3:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There isn't a martial art imaginable that is "'too tough' for women".

There are, however, women who will decide they aren't tough enough without even trying.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 11:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just saw this thread earlier today, and thought to myself what a common dilemma this must be. Women strike up interest in training a combat sport like MMA/muaythai, then when they go looking find that basically every gym is a sausage fest and are dissuaded from signing up. And so the cycle continues...

Well today a new girl came in to do the class, totally excited about training at our gym. Same story, went looking for bjj/muaythai training and the gym she hooked up with was all guys. She found out about our gym having two women running the muaythai program and she jumped ship, totally hyped about training with other women.

It just plain happens to be the case that women are going to be more prone to doing things they see other women doing, rather than be the one girl amongst a bunch of dudes. It's not that women are just so much less interested in getting into kickboxing or bjj (most guys really don't seem to have much interest in getting punched in the face or rolling around with sweaty guys either), it just happens to be a "guy thing".
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 5:30am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula View Post
    then when they go looking find that basically every gym is a sausage fest
    :laughing1

It just plain happens to be the case that women are going to be more prone to doing things they see other women doing, rather than be the one girl amongst a bunch of dudes.
    I think it would be similar the other way around. I mean imagine a guy wanting to learn dancing or something and having to train only with women. Would be kind of uncomfortable I guess ?!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 5:33am

Style: Bjj / Mexican Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eisenheidi View Post
    :laughing1

I think it would be similar the other way around. I mean imagine a guy wanting to learn dancing or something and having to train only with women. Would be kind of uncomfortable I guess ?!
    Actually that would be the bomb.....:5grouphug

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 5:42am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    na im pretty sure that was one of the main reasons i learnt to salsa. lots of hot wimmins and the only other guys there were fags.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 8:50am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    na im pretty sure that was one of the main reasons i learnt to salsa. lots of hot wimmins and the only other guys there were fags.
    Ok, I think I got the idea :icon_roll

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 3:13pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Time to sign up for dancing lessons!

Coming from a gym with a small number of females (and I say females because some are teenagers, only a few are adults, I would say 4-5 total) it's usually all about getting one or two in there and in there consistently enough so when more women come in, they actually see them there (doesn't help to have women who train there who aren't there when other women come in). Eventually, 1 makes 2, 2 makes 3, 3 makes more, etc, etc, etc.

Honestly, a lot of times, its up to the guys to get their girlfriends, female friends, female family members involved in the hopes that it spreads. You also have to look for them. As mentioned earlier, you probably aren't going to find the type you are looking for hitting up the treadmill at your local air conditioned gym. But...if you find someone out in the cold winter running, biking, or someone who typically doesn't mind getting dirty and sweating and getting bruised AND they are looking to learn how to defend themselves, your odds are probably better.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 9:58pm

Style: Judo, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't help with where to train. but i can say for a fact that MMA BJJ or Muay Thai are NOT to Tough for women. They are fun, a great way to get in shape, and if you can get past having sweaty dudes climbing all over you, it's great way to learn self defense and stuff.

just my 2 cents as a female fighter :)

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 12:43am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Replace "fag" with "vegans" (unless the two are synonymous for you), and you'll understand why I'm looking into taking yoga classes again.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12